What's new

Panasonic DVD-RP91 Chipset (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
What chipset does this model use? I like the features on it but I don't want to get a chipset that is inferior to the XP30.

Thanks.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
From the DVD Shootout tests at www.hometheaterhifi.com

"Unfortunately, the player uses the inferior (in our opinion) Genesis chipset, and while Panasonic has done an admirable job of squeezing the last ounce of performance out of it, it still can't match up to the Sage or Silicon Image chipsets."

I always thought the RP-91 used the Faroudja DCDI chip but I was wrong. I may pick up a Mitsubishi DD-8040 this weekend. From what I've read, its a rebadged Denon 1200 w/better zoom features. It uses the same chip as the xp-30, I believe.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Has Mark stated, the 91 does not use a top quality deinterlacer. It's deinterlacer does allow for scaling on non-anamphoric dvd's, which the Faroudja chip in the XP30 does not. Other than that, the 91 and XP30 use the same MPEG decoder and both have nearly equal reference quality basic video output. The XP30 is essentially an RP91 with better deinterlacing due to the faroudja but at the cost of non-anamaphoric scaling.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The RP91 is excellent for interlaced output, but its progressive de-interlacer is inferior to the XP30.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
One thing I've noticed with my RP-91 -- it's deinterlacing performance seems to be improved with the latest (v. 259) of the firmware. The RP-91 has its greatest difficulties with video-based material, but Star Trek Next Generation episodes look much improved since I upgraded from ver. 250 of the firmware.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you have Nero, you can download this zip file that has a Nero image file.

Once you burn the Nero image to a CD/CDRW, just pop the disc in the RP-91 and it should detect it as being a firmware update disc, and you'll be asked to confirm the update, and then it'll take 3-5 minutes for it to do its thing.

Click here

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Patrick, your firmware update link seems to be inactive or no longer working. If someone needs this zip file and can't find it elsewhere feel free to e-mail me and I can arrange to send it to you over AIM or MSN Messenger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks