What's new

Panasonic DMR-E80H recover mode (1 Viewer)

James_RW

Auditioning
I've seen some threads about media and one about the recover error, but not the two together. I bought two spindles of Ritek, which seem to be one of the recommended brands for this unit in this forum. The first spindle would usually go into recover mode 2-5 times per disc when dubbing from the HD. Occasionally the first time it would work.

The second spindle is better, in that it either works or goes into recover once or twice. This is exceptionally annoying. I have only had a couple coasters out of about 95, maybe I should've tried to dub that seventh time.:angry:

I bought 10 single-wrapped generic CompUSAs that have worked flawlessly.

I'm looking for recommendations from other E80 users on bulk discs that have worked well for them in terms of not going into recover and coasters.

Thanks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I very seldom see recover mode on my E80. If you're seeing it often with a particular brand of disc, I'd say it's time to change brands. I've seen mixed reactions to Ritek discs.

The ones I've used that have been the most reliable are TDK, but they're expensive and I only buy them when there's a special sale. I'm currently using Samsung bulk discs from rima.com which have been very good. OwenRubin recommends the BeAll brand sold by meritline.com I believe BeAll is also made by Samsung.

I've had mixed results with Optodisc. Many burned well and play well, but I once got a whole spindle that was defective.

M.

Sam III

Auditioning
I have had very good luck with the house brand 1X discs from CompUSA made by FMI, as have other users at other forums. One poster thought they were made by Princo; CompUSA said FMI is their own company.

I have had very bad luck with bulk discs from Sonic.

I just found some other posts that said CompUSA disks are made by 3 different manufacturers. It looks as though FMI is just a distributor. You might want to get a DVD id program to check before you buy; it appears as though mine are Princo.

danak

Second Unit
I've had excellent luck with Memorex so far (single sided version 2.0, 10 pack). My machine has gone into recover mode only once and refused to read a disc once, so basically only 2 bad discs out of about 30 so far.

Dana

Sam III

Auditioning
One trick I read of to check out discs is to write a title first. This seems to verify compatibility or not. One question, is it possible the HD copying is too fast for the Ritek? I have an E50 so no HD and 1X only.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have not encountered a RECOVER error with my E80, but I have created several coasters. I had an entire 15-disc spindle of TDK's that would not even read in my recorder (I received an incompatible media error), but I've had good luck with 25-disc spindles of TDK. Verbatim also seem to be hit or miss. I did have good luck with the one batch of Ritek discs I purchased.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I thought of this thread yesterday, when I saw my first recover error in a long time. It was with one of the Samsung bulk discs, and shortly after recovering the E80 declared the disc incompatible. Must have been a fluke, because I've burned at least a dozen discs from the same spindle with no problem. I restarted yesterday's burn with another disc from the same spindle, and the operation completed without a hitch.

The TDK 2x discs, right? I buy those whenever Best Buy puts them on sale, as they did last week.

M.

I've had my E-80 about three weeks and have done 11 discs so far with no coasters. The only discs I have used are "Optical", which I bought for roughly $55 on ebay for 100 discs and 100 of the black snap cases. They're too cheap to be real, but they are. I should add that about half the time I have used high speed dubbing and the other half real time.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
What is a coaster?

I tried out all the expensive brands, Sony, Maxell and Memorex and have never had any trouble at all with the Memorex. I am about on my 200th and have no had one bad one yet. Lately Best Buy has been putting the 50 spindle of Memorex on sale for 49.99 which to me is a lot cheaper than the vhs tapes I use to buy.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

A disc that, after an attempted burn, turns out to be unreadable and unuseable. Its only use after that is as a coaster for beverages.

Glad to hear that Memorex works for you. What model is your player?

M.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, that is what I thought but I wanted to make sure.

I have the Panasonic E80 and I love it and haven't had any problems with it. However a friend of mine has already had to have hers sent back to the manufacturer because of problems dubbing from the hdd to dvd.

Mike>Black

Auditioning
I have an E80, HS-2 and an E20 and they all work well with the Comp USA discs, as well as Maxell, TDK and Imation. I record in XP to the HDD and transfer to DVD-R in SP or FR depending on how long the material is. I have never had a bad disc from these brands in 2.5 years. I had a problem with Meritline one time and never went back to the web to by discs.

BTW Wal-Mart sells Maxell DVD-RAM 3-Packs for 12.97, they work fine too.

I have not tried to high speed dub to an brand of DVD-R yet though.

I have never had a “recover” message when dubbing. I did get that message once while timer recording to the HDD and the whole front panel went blank. When it cam back on it showed the “recover” message and started recording again. The top was fairly hot and I had a HD Sat receiver on top and attributed it to a cooling problem. I have since put 1” rubber spacers between the E80 and the Sat rec. and it runs cool to the touch now. I also ran to C.C. and added the extended warranty after that little episode, it was only a week old at the time. I have never seen the “recover” with either my HS-2 or E-20.

BrandonB

Agent
I have a couple 10-packs of those Optical Disks as well and have only had one mess up out of about 15 attempts. I've been using them on my PC burner though. Jeffrey is right though - ultra cheap!! I got 20 disk for something like $14 bucks after shipping!

James_RW

Auditioning
I'm happy to report that I have gone through a spindle of 25 BeAll from Meritline and I did not get one recover error or coaster. Recording DVDs has become a more pleasant and reliable experience. Thanks for everyone's input.

Jason/H

Auditioning
What's a normal failure rate of burning DVD-Rs? When I first got my DMR-E80, I bought a 10 pack of Fuji DVD-Rs. They all burned without any problems. So, despite being a bit more expensive, than other brands, I decided to buy a 50 disc spindle of these. Out of the first 25, from the spindle, I've had 5 total failures. 1 in 5? Is this a normal failure rate? The problem seems to occur in the first minute or two of recording. The system goes into "recovery mode" then stops. The DMR-E80 has been been able to read these discs, once this happens. Basically, more coasters get added to the ever going pile. So, what's the failure rate of TDK discs?

Users who are viewing this thread