What's new

Panasonic DMP-BD30 review/impressions (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I have discovered 2 more lack of functionality. The moment you open the tray the last position memory is cleared. This is a problem for me and I guess I got used to my excellent Pioneer DVD player. It keeps in mind at least “4-5”(I think) DVDs last position. If you are watching a series daily, you lose the last position with Panasonic.

So I told myself, ok, I can accept this, it's my problem! I have to remember the last position and jump directly to it. Surprise! This player can not jump to a specific point by entering the time! :eek: I hope I’m missing something!

How is Pioneer’s BD player? Does it remember the last position of several titles?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think you'll find this is true of if not all, then nearly all BD players. For me it's no big deal - I tend to watch a film or section of a disc in one sitting and thus actually want the menu to appear when I put a disc in.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Ok, but why can't you jump to a specific time?! I get the impression that David Lynch has designed this player! ;)

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I have the Panasonic DMP-BD30 and it does remember the last position played. But I believe the function must be allowed by the disc itself, and obviously not all discs have the function enabled.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit

How about if you just hit the 'Stop' key, will it resume back to the last position when you hit the 'play' key again?

Or will it automatically throw you back to the menu?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Again, I think this is a characteristic of several BD players - I don't think it's the Panasonic that's unique in this. This is pure speculation, and I'm more than happy to be corrected on this, but my hunch is that the designers, seeing that you could have pop up menus that allowed you to jump to different scenes whilst the film was playing, decided that features such as last position memory etc weren't needed.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I'm just talking about simple DVD playback on Panasonic and compare it to my Pioneer DVD player. I'm testing the same DVD on both players. I'm not considering BDs.

Yes it does resume back to the last position.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I installed a remote control program along w/ the required codes onto my PocketPC-based PDA--worked like a charm! I also copied the codes onto my primary learning remote so that I won't need to pull out my PDA if ever I need to reset/change region codes on my BD30 (or, for performing the hack on another Panny BD/DVD player).

Phaelon

Agent
I'm still learning the quirks of my new Panny BD30 but as my first piece of true HD equipment I'm quite pleased. Upscaled standard DVDs seem to have apparent resolution etc. based very much on original source quality. I watched a House MD disc and it looked almost like HD.

My previous monitor was a 47" or 49" Panny RPTV (can't recall which) - the first model they released (circa 2000) that had component inputs, was "HD ready" and broke the $2,000 price point. Provided that room light was properly controlled I got what I considered to be stellar results with good DVDs when my Panny DVD player was in progressive scan mode.

But now - despite moving to a 61" screen (Samsung 750 DLP RPTV with LED light source)- the House MD discs look superior.

As for last position recall - I just discovered an interesting phenomenon that may or may not be limited to one brand combination. If I turn off the Samsung display when the BD30 is in play mode it shuts the BD30 down also (I did NOT reprogram the Samsung remote to make it compatible with the Panny and the Samsung remote will not turn on the BD30). When the TV and the BD30 are turned back on the BD30 is at the last position and I need only press Play to resume watching from that point.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
It’s been a while that I have this and I’m very happy with it. The lack of resume for DVD playback is the only annoyance for me! I’m very impressed with the upscaling capabilities of this. I recently purchased a DVDO Edge video processor and my Panasonic DMP-30 gives a better upscaled image for DVD playback.

Oh and not to mention that mine is modified to be multi-region for BD playback! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks