Panasonic CV-52 - Is it worth considering?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SteveK, Sep 24, 2003.

1. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I saw the Panasonic CV-52 at FYE for about $90. How good is this unit? I currently have a 4-year old Panasonic A-120 (not certain about model #) that continues to work flawlessly, but I'm thinking about moving it to my second TV and replacing it with a newer DVD player that has more options than my current unit. The current Panasonic plays only DVD and CD, but the CV52 also plays mp3 and wma on CD-R and CD-RW; not to mention that it is a 5-disc model compared to my current single disc player.

But I don't want to replace it if I would end up with less video or audio quality than what I currently own, or if the new units are less reliable than the earlier models. If that's the case, I'd just as soon wait until my current player dies, which could be next week or 5 years from now. I don't have or anticipate having HDTV, so progressive scan is not a consideration, and at the $90 price I wouldn't be concerned about replacing it if I ever do upgrade to HDTV.

So should I stick with my current player or update (if not necessarily upgrade) to the newer model? Any comments about the CV-52 would be welcome.

Thanks
    Steve K.