What's new

Panasonic BD30 2.2 firmware now available (1 Viewer)

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Actually I think it's been available for at least a week, but since I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere in this forum I thought it would be helpful to make mention of it here.

2.2 apparently resolves the audio skip issue encountered on (certain) TrueHD BD discs (e.g., Enchanted)...at least it did for me. Also--and it could very well just be a placebo-like effect--some folks are reporting that the HDMI audio quality seems to have improved a wee bit after the 2.2 update; I noticed the slight improvement as well. Another improvement is that load times seem to have decreased slightly (we're talking maybe a few seconds or so at best, but still) on more than a few discs.

BD30 2.2 Firmware download page (North American-spec players only)

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
A must if you have a 1080/24p (or is it more appropriately, 1080p/24?) capable display and wish to view certain recently-released Paramount BD titles (Transformers, anyone?) on your BD30 in 1080/24p...

Kelly Payne

Agent
For the first time since I got my player, I wonder if I should save a CD and skip this one. Maybe I'll wait a week and leapfrog to 2.5.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm having a hard time burning a good copy of this firmware with Vista, does anybody have any suggestions to help me out?

Rusty_R

Auditioning
Panasonic BD30 2.5 firmware is now available,

I've tried using vista to burn disc but it never works, I always end up using one of my old very slow xp computers.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
This is at Walmart for $298! It has the 5.1 analog outs. So, to be clear, with the firmware upgrade, this will allow me to listen to TrueHD with an old receiver, correct?

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
I checked with my local Best Buy and they had it for $266
Actually I think on this one it only bitstreams the advanced audio codecs
The 5.1 analog will only do PCM and standard DD and DTS

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Dan's correct. The 5.1 analog outs are only good for DD, DTS, and PCM audio. TrueHD and DTS MA are bitstreamed through HDMI for decoding by a receiver.

-R

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of picking one of these up at Best Buy for $266. They are on clearance I doubt they will have any left for a better black friday price. To me this seems like a better deal overall than the Insignia player at $199 mainly because of the lack of firmware updates for the Insignia. It does seem like most people who have the Insignia are pretty happy though and don't really have a lot of problems. I just think the Panasonic would have better build and support. What do you guys think? If the panasonic does go down in price at BB I could get the difference back over the next 30 days.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
Thanks guys. So what is the least expensive unit that will send TrueHD and DTS MA over analog outs? Is that the BD55? What about the BDP S300 after firmware?

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC I wouldn't think it would be possible (TrueHD and DTS HD-MA over analog) due to HDCP requirements.

Phaelon

Agent

Oops. Just realized that it's my new Samsung display that has the USB port - not my Panny BD30. That said - I'm still wondering why the firmware would go on a CD. Can't I just take a laptop and run the upgrade directly from that?

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Guess I was wrong about that...I always thought that there was some sort of copy-protection issue w/ HD audio (e.g., TrueHD, DTS-HD MA) being streamed via analog audio out, somewhat similar to why standalone DVD players are (normally) not allowed to pass 1080i/p via analog video (e.g., component) out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks