What's new

Panasonic AE8000 Frame Interpolation/Judder Issues (1 Viewer)

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I bought a new Panasonic AE8000 projector, after owning the AE4000 for the past three years.

Great picture quality boost with the 8000, though I noticed some distracting motion artifacts on horizontal pans and movement. Not all of the time, but it's definitely there on some shots.

The opening scene in the new 3:10 TO YUMA Blu-ray from Criterion and the Fox Blu-ray for THE TOWERING INFERNO are two examples.

Both play fine on my old AE4000, but the new 8000 has the issue. I moved the HDMI cable back and forth between the two projectors, so it's not a wiring difference. Of note, I leave the Frame Creation function on "off." The problem is cured if I set it to "Mode 1" but I hate the look. It makes film look like a videotaped soap opera.

I took my discs to a friend's house where he has the Panasonic AE7000 projector. Same problem there too.

What's up with this? Why would my 4000, with supposedly inferior circuitry to the 8000, not exhibit this defect, but the newer 7000 and 8000 do?

Anyone else having this problem?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Are both projectors set to 1080/24p? Or do you have 24p turned off on the older one? You'll notice more judder with 24p engaged.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Mark-P said:
Are both projectors set to 1080/24p? Or do you have 24p turned off on the older one? You'll notice more judder with 24p engaged.
Hi Mark,

I have the 24p function turned off.

Of note, I spoke with the QC Tech at Panasonic today and they're going to buy the blu-rays of the movies I'm having the problems with. I'm going to send them the time codes for the scenes where the defect is noticeable. Also, I'm going to make a video and send it to them so they can see what I'm seeing. It was great to finally speak to someone at Panasonic who's knows what to look for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks