What's new

Panasonic AE300U dying. Need help. (1 Viewer)

chris_clem

Second Unit
I have an old Panasonic AE300U projector that I have been using for years. Today the "replace lamp" has finally showed up onscreen while I was watching a movie. After a few minutes it turned off automatically. I powered it on and same thing, auto shutdown in a few minutes. Now the lamp is not really "dead" yet so I just want to be able to use it until it "dies".

To my surprise I checked the lamp life and apparently I've managed to rack up 4998 hours on the bulb! This is probably why it’s been shutting off by itself but how do I fix this so that it stops shutting off by itself. Do I have to reset the counter? Is there any danger to this? I have never seen a projector bulb die out but some have said they can damage your projector when they do. Is this true or do they just die out quietly like any other bulb?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If you had already logged 75,000 miles on your current set of (now completely bald) car tires, would you be comfortable setting out on a cross-country road trip? Would you wait for them to fail completely and hope they simply developed a slow leak instead of conspiring to produce a multi-tire blowout while you're doing 70mph on the highway?

The bulb is at the end of it's useful lifespan. Changing a counter isn't going to fix the problem - only a new bulb will properly address the issue. The lamp gets extremely hot and a catastrophic failure of the lamp (which is a distinct possibility) can cause irrepairable damage to your projector.

Follow the manufacturer's recommended guidelines and get a replacement bulb and change it out as soon as possible. For me personally, there's nothing else I would even consider doing.

chris_clem

Second Unit
Actually, I just want to be able to use the bulb until it dies out because a new bulb is $300 and at this point that money would be best saved for an upgrade. I have no intention of selling the projector either since it's mostly useless to anyone else without a new bulb either and anyone who buys it would realize that the $300 cost of a new bulb would make it not worth it.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Like Jason said, you're taking a risk. You should be able to reset the bulb counter, but you may have to take the bulb out first. Check your owner's manual for how to "change the bulb", and pretend that you are.

jennigirly

Grip
Real Name
Faraz
Hi

Cris,
You will never guess what some lamps do as they approach death. They put out colors in the spectrum other than the pure white intended. Try the new lamp first. You may find yourself back in the CCA settings in the service menu. Oh yea... prepair to be blown away by the new lamp performance. It's amazing what we get used to over time.

If you need to change lamp, here you go.

Projector Lamps

I have used this place for my last 2 bulbs with 2 different PJ's and I have been very happy.!! got the package in 3 days after confirmation and the rate are in believablely low
$225 for Sony VPL-HS10 else where this lamp was about 350+. I am very happy
with the lamp till now. They have offered me 90 days warranty money back
gurantee if any problem occur without any question.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks