What's new

Panasonic 47WX49/51 (1 Viewer)

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone tell me the differences between the 47WX49 and the 47WX51 model? I'm very interested in purchasing this set but there's a $200.00 price difference. From what I can see it looks like there is a screen protector with the WX51. Are there any additional features?

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
The only other difference is the 51 has a backlit remote. That's it. I bought the 49 because it doesn't suffer from glare. Just be careful about delivery, because the delivery guys must NOT touch the screen at all. Not even for a second.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Hmmm...I would think a rear projection set without a backlit screen would be a waste!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
OK. So the only difference is the backlit remote (which I don't need) and the glare screen. After working with Buyers Edge I can no longer get the "49" but can get the "51" for 1946.00 with tax and delivery. Is this reasonable? Why would I not want the glare screen? Doesn't that also protect it? Or just the fact that you can't remove it is a downer. I'm new so any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Having the glare screen is good for protection. But a GLARE SCREEN is exactly that. No matter how little light you have, there will be glare and reflections. You need to be in a pitch black room to not see that.
------------------

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I just bought the wx49 from Sears. They price matched against onecall but I did have to pay the sales tas. I will make sure that the delivery guys don't touch the screen. How do you clean it if someone eventually does? Also, I'm new to the HT arena but am looking for advice. I currently don't own a progressive scan DVD but am interested in purchasing one. My current DVD doesn't support it. Any suggestions? Also, I'm moving and the local cable co. does not offer digital can anyone recommend if I should just go to SAT to put the new TV to it's use, and if so which network? Again, thanks for all the info.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Howie, analog cable looks horrid on this set. Go for DISH. I am.
For cleaning the screen, warm water, with 5% Dawn liquid mixed in. Take a lint free cloth and dip, then squeeze and ring it hard so that it is only damp and not dripping wet. Gently rub UP AND DOWN, NOT around or side to side.
Repeat without Dawn. Then use a dry lint free cloth to finish. Be GENTLE!
Best to have a sheet and tape it to the side and top of the tv, that way there is no chance of the delivery guys touching the screen.
------------------

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Howie, congrats on your purchase. I am still tweaking my Panny. If I were you, my next steps would be the following:
1) Find out if and what Digital/HDTV Over The Air programming you can receive.
2) If you can receive OTA Digital/HD signals, spend your money on a High Definition compatable receiver. Either DirecTV or Dish. You don't necessarily have to purchase a new one and you don't necessarily have to purchase one that can receive satellite signals also. You can find a used one or an older model like the DTC-100 for a reasonable price.
3) If you can't receive OTA DTV/HD signals you can still get some HD programming from DirecTV or Dish. If you are allowed to get CBS-HD on Dish in your area, I would go that route.
4) If you don't want DTV/HD right now, then you might as well get one of the cheaper packages with free install from DISH or DirecTV. Dish has a $9 deal right now and Blockbuster has deals for DirecTV. Keep in mind that if you want Dolby Digital capacity from your Satellite receiver you will need to purchase a more expensive receiver than the usual freebies or cheapies they offer.
5) Although a Progressive DVD player with give you a little bit better picture, you would be better off spending your money on trying to get some High Definition programming.
Good Luck!

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I found this forum. Next question - How do I found out what HDTV channels are offered? Do I need to contact my cable provider?

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Howie, try these sites to see if any channels near you are broadcasting a digital signal. Some of your local stations may or may not carry High Def programming. You can contact your local cable provider to see if they are providing any HD.
http://www.titantv.com/ttv/index.asp?viewMainPage=yes
http://www.metronet.com/~chipk/
When you enter information for the Titan TV site you may have to enter an address closer to the main city if you live in the suburbs. I live about 40 miles from Atlanta and the website states I don't receive any digital transmissions but I can. So I just enter an Atlanta address. What city are you moving to and what is the closest big city?
[Edited last by Brian Mello on August 17, 2001 at 12:05 PM]

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
Brian...thanks for the links. As for where I'm moving, just down the road. But with the move came the expense of buying a Living Room set. Hence, with that I had to buy the TV. Anyway, I'm just about 10 miles outside of NYC in New Jersey.

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Anyway, I'm just about 10 miles outside of NYC in New Jersey.
You're good to go then! I'm not sure because I don't live near you but I thought I read somewhere that Time Warner Digital Cable in that area passes some HD content. Either way, Enjoy! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks