What's new

Palm IIIxe Vs. Palm Vx? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
My dad's lookin for a basic PDA for daily use, he's trying to spend as little as possible for a basic PDA.

I found two that are under $90 that would work for him, but I was wondering if there are much difference between the two:

The PalmIIIxe ($60) and the Palm Vx ($90) (all prices are refurbed units).

From what i've read, the only diff I know is that the Vx has a rechargeable Li-Ion battery, whereas the IIIxe needs two AAAs. However, is there a chance in the future the Vx will lose its ability to retain a charge? if so, how would you go about replacing the battery?

Does anybody know any good sites/forums to find info on PDAs?

Thanks

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Nick,

I have had my Palm V for 4+ years now and it still charges just fine. You use it all week, then power it up, put it in it's cradle, hot-sync it, and come back in an hour or two. I keep all my addresses, numbers, dates, and solitaire on the go in there ;) I will always need one now, it is a great little machine.

I'm not 100% on all the new models, but the V line is smaller than the III and has the battery. I suggest getting the Vx because you can easily buy a "wallet" for it that holds cash, credit, cards, etc, and it easily fits in your front pants pocket.

It is worth an extra $30 IMHO, the V line is the easiest to carry around with you everywhere. But be sure it comes with a recharging PC cradle, you will definitely need one of those.

PS - Where are you finding these units for $90? I might be interested in replacing my older model...

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for the Vx.

I have owned a Palm V and two Vx's. I loved the formfactor. It was codenamed "razor" prior to release and you can see why. Very thin and easy to hide in a pocket. The stylus storage is excellent (hold's two, just in case).

I don't think the IIIxe adds anything the Vx doesn't already have.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Camp,

What diffs have you noticed from the V to the Vx? Anything significant, or just more memory in the same chassis?

-J

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I chose my Sony Clie because of the slim size -- I'd go with the Palm Vx for the same reason.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Compgeeks.com has these refurbished for those prices i mentioned... thanks alot! :)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
What diffs have you noticed from the V to the Vx? Anything significant, or just more memory in the same chassis?
Yea, it's just more memory -and an expansion card slot. The chassis is a little different too. It's a bit better built (my V, while sturdy, had more flex in the body than the Vx does. The chassis differences are subtle but noticeable.

I've since upgraded to a Clie NR70v. I lost some of the small form factor but gained an impressive PDA.

Rob Behm

Grip
The V has something like 2-3MB ram, I think the Vx has a 6MB.

The V series came out after the IIIs, and it is a nice slick package. I've had a V for the last 4 years and it has served me well.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ohyeah, it comes with the SERIAL PC cradle.. i assume it recharges the unit as its placed in the cradle right?

Edit: Actually, it says the Vx has 8MB of ram...

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Ohyeah, it comes with the SERIAL PC cradle.. i assume it recharges the unit as its placed in the cradle right?
Yea, there's a power plug that actually goes through the serial cable to an outlet.

Vx & IIIxe = 8 MB
V = 2 MB

Shane Bos

Second Unit
The Only difference between the V and the Vx is 2MB in the V and 8 in the Vx.

Yea, it's just more memory -and an expansion card slot.
The Palm V series does not have an expansion slot. You have to go to the 500 series for that.

The V has a metal casing vs the III plastic case. The metal is definatly better for durability.

Also check out the Handspring Visor deluxe. IMHO is even better than the Palm.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Shane is correct.

I forgot I also owned a m505 for a short time...my comments above about the Vx are actually about the m505. Too many PDA's not enough memory cells (I'm a perfect candidate for a PDA, huh?)

V to Vx to another Vx (broke the first one) to m505 to Clie NR70v.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
DavidLawson: Yeah i found that site too... i stupidly ordered the 300MHz one, rather than the 400MHz without cradle :angry: Stupid, stupid me... still, it'd be awesome if DELL honored it, coz it looks like a price mistake.

Crossing my fingers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks