PAL to NTSC to DVD question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dan-P, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Dan-P

Dan-P Stunt Coordinator

Hi - Hoping someone can help me with something that has me temporarily stumped.

I live in the US, where we have NTSC tv's. I've downloaded some TV shows from the UK, Australia and New Zealand, which were originally broadcast in PAL. They are all in .avi format, and they play just fine on my computer. But, I want to burn them to DVD so I can watch them on my television.

I typically just use Pinnacle v.9 to burn DVDs from avi files - so when I tried with one of these shows, the resulting DVD wouldn't play on my tv, which after a bit of momentary head scratching, I attribute to the PAL/NTSC issue - although I could be wrong, because I thought watching PAL on an NTSC tv just gave you some crummy black and white video.

So, the problem could be something else, and not related to PAL/NTSC. The exact message I get when I try to play the DVD I made in my player connected to my television is, "PLAYBACK PROHIBITED BY AREA LIMITATIONS." The first thing that came to my mind was region encoding. However, that can't be the problem since we're talking about an over the air broadcast television show - or can it? I thought region encoding only applied to pre-manufactured DVDs, and didn't have anything to do with over the air broadcasts. This is why my brain then thought the problem is most likely the PAL/NTSC issue.

Anyway, so I downloaded a utility that converts PAL to NTSC files, and I converted one of the episodes, which was in .avi format, to NTSC. Unfortunately, this utility doesn't just give me another single .avi file as an output. It gives me 3 files - an audio file, a video file and a third file that's only 1 KB. I can't figure out how to deal with these 3 output files - how do I get them onto a DVD so that I can watch it on my TV? Pinnacle can't deal with them - I just downloaded Nero but without a manual I'm struggling.

Just hoping to get some help - does anyone know how to make this work, or maybe a better way, or a single program that can convert PAL to NTSC and burn to DVD on the fly? Any help is appreciated - thanks.

Dan

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

It almost sounds like your DVD application saw that it was a PAL video and set the discs region coding to 2 (or whatever PAL region is).

As far as the 3 files, I don't know about that 3rd file (you may not need it), but most DVD applications will import both audio and video separately and put them on the same timeline. I don't know anything about Pinnacle, so I can't tell you how to do so.

3. Dan-P

Dan-P Stunt Coordinator

Interesting idea about the program possibly encoding it as region 2 or something, I'd thought of that also but it doesn't look like there's any user control in Pinnacle over anything like region encoding. I'm going to try it with Nero - I went to their website and was reading about how to create dvd's and such with their program. Hopefully it will just work straightaway -

Any other ideas would be GREATLY appreciated - I wouldn't think doing this would be that hard.

4. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Dan,

Not knowing what's the model of you dvd player, some models have the ability to change the general settings to NTSC, PAL or set to AUTO.

5. Dan-P

Dan-P Stunt Coordinator

Well my television is NTSC, notwithstanding what my DVD player might be set to - isn't that correct?

I'm using a Sony model DVP-NC665P. I've googled around looking for a remote code which might make it code free, but haven't found anything specific to that model. I've tried some other Sony remote codes but they didn't work - I'll probably need to find one for my exact model if I want that to work.

Anyway, I still haven't solved this - does anyone know of a good solution to convert a PAL avi file into NTSC and burn it onto a DVD so that it works?

6. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

7. Dan-P

Dan-P Stunt Coordinator

Ok, this problem is SOLVED. I had to go back and find a download of Nero v. 6.6 (the new Nero v. 7 is crap, or so everyone says and I experienced). Anyhow, this program is exactly what I was looking for - it converts from PAL to NTSC, or vice versa, and burns to DVD on the fly. Has a bunch of different country specific settings also, and it renders much faster than my Pinnacle program did.

Thanks to those who tried to help me - I'm just really glad I got this figured out. My TV is way better than my computer monitor, and my living room is much more comfortable than my office, so I'm really glad I've got this figured out finally so I can watch these shows the way I want to.