What's new

Pal Joey Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

flixyflox

Auditioning
Real Name
david hare
It also has the peak of those Nelson RIddle Arrangements/Orchestrations.
The Lady is a Tramp is a killer, and is only equalled, but not quite bettered by Lena Horne in Words and Music (1948 Taurog, sequence directed by Robert Alton.)

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Richard--W said:
Pal Joey contains some of Sinatra's most sophisticated vocals of the 1950s, and that's saying a lot. He recorded the soundtrack at the creative peak of his voice. Have you listened to Ella Fitzgerald's Great American Songbook recordings? The Verve albums are collected in a CD box-set. Same songs that Sinatra sung on his Capitol records. If Sinatra weren't around to compare them to, you'd think Ella sang the definitive versions. Her voice is sweet, lovely, clear as a bell, and her vocals sincere, but the dramatization isn't there Sinatra's emotional commitment is absolute. His voice acts out the lyrics like an actor. His interpretations tower over everyone who sang them before, and I include even Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire.
Ditto here. Every word of it.
It's the drama that made me a fan of Sinatra's singing long after I'd been a fan of his movies. As a kid, I got hooked on FS as a movie star first; The Devil at 4 O'Clock, Ocean's 11, Sergeants 3... It was only as I got older that I realized his historic concept albums rivaled, if not surpassed, entire movie performances delivered by his most highly regarded film actor contemporaries in terms of drama, lasting emotional impact, and impressive "acting".

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
I'm very much aware of the "lore" about his departure...but can anyone rationally believe he thought he could pull off Billy Bigelow?
The mental image of this guy in the barker's outfit, the cap and him supposed to be a big tough guy just has me rolling on the floor.
If "Pal Joey" is Sinatra's defining role, he should've stayed undefined.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Virgoan said:
I'm very much aware of the "lore" about his departure...but can anyone rationally believe he thought he could pull off Billy Bigelow?
The mental image of this guy in the barker's outfit, the cap and him supposed to be a big tough guy just has me rolling on the floor.
As you posted earlier, you are not a fan of Frank Sinatra.
How Sinatra would have portrayed Billy Bigelow we'll never know. However I point out that in the movie Billy does not get involved in any "big tough guy" scenes nor are there any scenes which demand that the actor be unusually large and burly. A decade later Sinatra played semi-tough characters in the two Tony Rome movies and no-one seems to have found that implausible. Sinatra was a good actor and it is the responsibility of all people working on a movie to make the whole thing work. For example, in The Big Heat, there is a scene in a bar where Glenn Ford menaces Lee Marvin and makes him back down. Lee Marvin was far bigger than Glenn Ford but the scene is staged in such a way that this is not apparent and the scene works well.
As I am a huge admirer of Gordon Macrae, I'm quite happy that Sinatra walked off the movie but speculating that he would have been out of his depth is idle.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
There has been some spectulation as to why Sinatra left the film. For the press release it has been that that he learned the film would be shot twice, others claim he didn't think he could pull off the roll - maybe he could have - though his recordings of some of the songs remained locked out of circulation for a reason. Sinatra was a crooner - not the same as Baritone Gordon MacRae or John Raitt. Others have written Rodgers and Hamerstein didn't want Sinatra for the film and Frank found out - maybe he was looking for a way to get off the film at that point and the Cinemascope 55 was a good enough excuse - but other actors have quit roles before the cameras started to roll for many reasons. It could have also been something else for all we know. Either way he was still good in "pal Joey"

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Virgoan said:
The musical Carousel was based on a 1909 play, Liliom.

Charles Boyer played the role in the 1934 film of Liliom. He became a big star in Hollywood playing suave, urbane gentlemen involved on one side or the other of an unrequited love affair, often referred to as "weepies" in the industry. He also played Napoleon Bonaparte in the 1937 film, Conquest. Neither in Liliom nor virtually any other of his movies was he cast as a "big tough guy".

Here is a history of the stage play, Liliom. Joseph Schildkraut played the lead role in the first successful stage version of it on Broadway.

Liliom:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liliom
Liliom is a 1909 play by the Hungarian playwright Ferenc Molnár. It was very famous in its own right during the early to mid-20th century, but is best known today as the basis for the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel.

Joseph Schildkraut in the 1921 Broadway production of Liliom.

… Liliom was a failure in Hungary when it was staged there in 1909, but not when it was staged on Broadway in an English translation by Benjamin Glazer in 1921. The production starred Joseph Schildkraut (his role originally offered to John Barrymore), and Eva Le Gallienne, with supporting roles played by such actors as Dudley Digges and Helen Westley.[1]Ivor Novello starred as Liliom in 1926 in London, with Charles Laughton, in one of his first stage roles, as Ficsúr. Schildkraut and Ms. Le Gallienne also starred in the first American revival of the play, in 1932.[2]

In 1939, Orson Welles directed and played the title role in a one-hour radio adaptation for his CBS Campbell Playhouse program ; the production co-starred Helen Hayes as Julie and Agnes Moorehead as Mrs. Muskat, the carousel owner who is infatuated with Billy.[3] It was broadcast live on October 10, 1939. The recording made from the broadcast still exists and can even be heard online.

In 1940, a second American stage revival, starring Burgess Meredith and Ingrid Bergman, with Elia Kazan as Ficsúr and Joan Tetzel as Liliom and Julie's daughter Louise, played New York.
Joseph Schildkraut
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Schildkraut
Joseph Schildkraut (March 22, 1896 – January 21, 1964) was an Austrian stage and film actor.

…Schildkraut is perhaps best remembered today for playing the role of Otto Frank in both the original stage and film versions of The Diary of Anne Frank. He was also an active character actor, and appeared in guest roles on several early television shows, notably the Hallmark Hall of Fame, in which he played Claudius in the 1953 television production of Hamlet, with Maurice Evans in the title role. Schildkraut also hosted and starred inJoseph Schildkraut Presents, a short-lived series on the DuMont Television Network from October 1953 to January 1954.
Here is Joseph Schildkraut’s imdb page pic:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0771584/
As you can see above in the Wikipedia link, there is also a mention of another actor who played the role successfully on stage, Burgess Meredith. Don't know if you've ever heard of Burgess Meredith, but he would never be taken for a "big tough guy" either. Apparently, being a "big tough guy" wasn't the prerequisite in anyone's mind for the role Sinatra would have played in Carousel.

Boyer, Schildkraut and Meredith were all fine actors. Boyer was nominated for an Oscar 4 times, no wins. Schildkraut was nominated for an Oscar once and won that time. Meredith was nominated for an Oscar twice, no wins. Sinatra was nominated for an Oscar twice and won once.

I liked Gordon MacRea in the role, but Sinatra was a much better actor. MacRea came across, physically, as healthy, solid, well fed, well groomed, and robust. None of those characteristics is important for the role of Liliom or Billy Bigelow in Carousel. In fact, in many ways they are the exact opposite of how we should perceive him. In the mid-1990s I saw the truly great stage revival of Carousel directed by Nicholas Hytner. If you listen to the Commentary on the DVD of Carousel by Shirley Jones and some musical historian (don't remember his name), you'll hear them both going on and on about how wonderful that production was. Seriously, if you listen to that commentary you'll begin to wish, as it almost appears Jones and the historian wish, that you were watching that version of the musical instead of the one you're watching. The role of Bigelow in the Hytner production was played by a skinny guy who looked more like a sewer rat than a healthy, solid, well fed, well groomed, and robust specimen of a "big tough guy", He was terrific. As an audience member, that version of the show was one of the best theatrical experiences of my life.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
GMpasqua said:
There has been some spectulation as to why Sinatra left the film. For the press release it has been that that he learned the film would be shot twice, others claim he didn't think he could pull off the roll - maybe he could have - though his recordings of some of the songs remained locked out of circulation for a reason. Sinatra was a crooner - not the same as Baritone Gordon MacRae or John Raitt. Others have written Rodgers and Hamerstein didn't want Sinatra for the film and Frank found out - maybe he was looking for a way to get off the film at that point and the Cinemascope 55 was a good enough excuse - but other actors have quit roles before the cameras started to roll for many reasons. It could have also been something else for all we know. Either way he was still good in "pal Joey"
There is an 8:25 minute outtake of Sinatra's recording of Soliloquy for the movie in the box set, Sinatra in Hollywood 1940-1964. The only other song sung by Billy Bigelow in Carousel is the duet with Julie, If I Loved You, and there is a recording of him and Shirley Jones repeating that duet on the DVD, Sinatra, the Classic Duets. No, it isn't the original recording for the movie, but it gives you a taste of what it would have sounded like if he'd done the movie. Actually, Sinatra recorded both of those songs at various times throughout his career. If you catch his version of Soliloquy on the CD, The Concert Sinatra, it is my opinion that no one would have wished for a Gordon MacRea version of it had Sinatra gone forward with the movie and had MacRea never gotten that call after the Sinatra cancellation.
On the Commentary for the DVD of Carousel I mentioned above, Shirley Jones describes watching the moment actually occur on location when Sinatra arrived in a limo, saw two cameras set up for what was then explained to him would be two versions of the scenes, a la Oklahoma!, one for Cinemascope 55 and one for Todd-AO, and hearing him deliver the infamous line, "I didn't sign up to do two movies...", whereupon he got back into the limo and was whisked away. My guess is he was right. And that was why the studio couldn't sue the hell out of him for breach of contract. In fact, they were the ones who hadn't been honest about it. Then Jones goes on to describe how MacRea got the last minute call literally as the cameras were rolling for other scenes.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Cineman /t/318998/pal-joey-blu-ray-review/30#post_3930999
The role of Bigelow in the Hytner production was played by a skinny guy who looked more like a sewer rat than a healthy, solid, well fed, well groomed, and robust specimen of a "big tough guy", He was terrific. As an audience member, that version of the show was one of the best theatrical experiences of my life.

Michael Hayden was most definitely not skinny, at least not my recollection of him. He also was not primarily a singer which is why I left that production of Carousel thrilled with the REST of the cast and that unique staging but a bit let down by Hayden's Billy. He really couldn't sing it for full effectiveness (though his acting was just fine). And he didn't score a Tony nomination either reflecting others' dissatisfaction with his overall musical performance.

Gordon MacRae may not have been able to pull off the range of roles that Sinatra did (not sure he was ever offered anything that tested his strengths as an actor away from music), but in my opinion, he's the DEFINITIVE Billy Bigelow. No one, including the original Billy John Raitt whom I saw at Lincoln Center in a revival of the show, was ever as magnificent as MacRae in the role of Billy.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Obviously, my comparison of Sinatra with Bigelow is based upon Gordon MacRae's interpretation.
My original comments were about "Pal Joey". They stand. For those who believe Sinatra was wonderful in that "definitive" role (originated by Gene Kelly on Broadway), I am happy for you.
However, since the column is ABOUT "Pal Joey", my personal observations about the film and the performances are valid, including my negative thoughts about Sinatra's (umm...errr_) "performance".

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Cineman said:
I liked Gordon MacRea in the role, but Sinatra was a much better actor. MacRea came across, physically, as healthy, solid, well fed, well groomed, and robust. None of those characteristics is important for the role of Liliom or Billy Bigelow in Carousel. In fact, in many ways they are the exact opposite of how we should perceive him. In the mid-1990s I saw the truly great stage revival of Carousel directed by Nicholas Hytner. If you listen to the Commentary on the DVD of Carousel by Shirley Jones and some musical historian (don't remember his name), you'll hear them both going on and on about how wonderful that production was. Seriously, if you listen to that commentary you'll begin to wish, as it almost appears Jones and the historian wish, that you were watching that version of the musical instead of the one you're watching. The role of Bigelow in the Hytner production was played by a skinny guy who looked more like a sewer rat than a healthy, solid, well fed, well groomed, and robust specimen of a "big tough guy", He was terrific. As an audience member, that version of the show was one of the best theatrical experiences of my life.
I have always had a problem with the movie of CAROUSEL because it seems like they were trying to make OKLAHOMA! in Maine. The story is much different, much darker, but the movie doesn't reflect that. Maybe Hollywood in 1956 just wasn't ready to make a dark musical for the mainstream. For example - in the stage play Billy does not fall on his knife, he makes a choice to end his life. That alone skews the whole last one-third of the story, and I have never liked the flashback framework. I love Shirley Jones and I admire Gordon MacRae, but I think both of their characters need to be a bit more "wrong side of tracks" to make the story really resonate. It would have taken a different director with a different intention. Shirley proved she could play against type in ELMER GANTRY. I am also bothered by the large amount of music that was cut from the film. But, CAROUSEL does basically follow the stage version despite the cuts, which is not true with PAL JOEY.
I really like the movie of PAL JOEY, but I don't consider it an adaptation of the stage play, which is terrific in its own right. It was crafted for Frank Sinatra, obviously, and for me it works. Again, we are talking about Hollywood in the 1950s so even PAL JOEY had to have an upbeat ending, which is the only part I think is so wrong. Joey should end up alone.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Virgoan said:
However, since the column is ABOUT "Pal Joey", my personal observations about the film and the performances are valid, including my negative thoughts about Sinatra's (umm...errr_) "performance".
Your personal observations about the film and the performances are your opinions. Whether they are valid is something people will decide for themselves.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
KPmusmag said:
Again, we are talking about Hollywood in the 1950s so even PAL JOEY had to have an upbeat ending, which is the only part I think is so wrong. Joey should end up alone.
Towards the end of the movie he does turn over a new leaf and make a stand for his principles (dubious they may be), so the happy ending isn't entirely out of place. The Joey at the very start of the movie thoroughly deserves to have an unhappy ending, but at the same time, I found it hard to really hate the character at any point as portrayed by Sinatra. He played Joey more as a loveable rogue with rough edges than an outright sleaze.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
MattH. said:
Michael Hayden was most definitely not skinny, at least not my recollection of him. He also was not primarily a singer which is why I left that production of Carousel thrilled with the REST of the cast and that unique staging but a bit let down by Hayden's Billy. He really couldn't sing it for full effectiveness (though his acting was just fine). And he didn't score a Tony nomination either reflecting others' dissatisfaction with his overall musical performance.
I didn't see the show on Broadway. I saw the national tour of it in Los Angeles. I'm afraid I don't remember the name of the actor I saw playing Bigelow, but I seem to recall there were a couple of actors cast in the role who took turns performing it. I do remember thinking he looked more like what one might envision as the Jigger character than the Bigelow character relative to Cameron Mitchell and Gordon MacRae in the movie.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
KPmusmag said:
I have always had a problem with the movie of CAROUSEL because it seems like they were trying to make OKLAHOMA! in Maine. The story is much different, much darker, but the movie doesn't reflect that. Maybe Hollywood in 1956 just wasn't ready to make a dark musical for the mainstream. For example - in the stage play Billy does not fall on his knife, he makes a choice to end his life. That alone skews the whole last one-third of the story, and I have never liked the flashback framework.
That's what I loved about the Hytner revival of the stage musical. He captured the grinding poverty and mind-numbing, near slave conditions of the mill workers (Julie), the grubbiness of carny life, that although it was sad for sweet Julie to take up with such an obvious unsavory scoundrel it still was better than the trap she'd been living in at the mill. The approach made Hammerstein's lyrics soar in ways I'd never felt before, as many times as I'd seen the movie and other stage productions. It was heartbreaking to hear these characters sing words they had only seen written on kitchen samplers and never knew they could feel in real life, never knew they'd deserve to feel in real life and were not prepared by education, experience or a sense of self-worth to express ("IF I loved you..."). It made sense in ways the beautiful-looking stars in the beautiful-looking movie didn't. For the first time and in the most powerful way, I got the message Hammerstein must have been sending from the beginning but hadn't been fully expressed in the post-WWII to mid-1950's versions of Carousel; that even people who we might dismiss as the dregs of society will and deserve to fall deeply in love, usually not in a smart way, probably not in a way that makes sense to the rest of us, but they will and they deserve to just like the rest of us. This was not a R&H love story between kings and school teachers, decorated sea captains and governesses, war heroes and military nurses. It was a lot more challenging than that for your typical Broadway theater audience member. By the time that awkward, decidedly politically-incorrect, downright wrong, exchange comes where Julie explains to her daughter that someone can hit you, hit you hard and it not hurt, in this particular treatment of the story that moment was put in at least a more understandable perspective because of who these people were and where they'd come from. And that is something I didn't feel at all in the movie even though I'm a big fan of the movie and the actors in it.

Catlady

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Catlady
Virgoan said:
I'm going to openly admit that I am not a fan of Frank Sinatra, the singer/crooner.
I have enjoyed many of his dramatic performances in film, however.
But in "Pal Joey", I have to say that he seems totally out of his element. Oh, yes, he's got the swagger, and the mannersims and they work in the Sinatra touches including the ring-a-dings. But this guy is supposed to be irresistible to the ladies. And to that I can only offer a polite "guffaw" and "getouttahere!" They're pulling out leg. Right? Right? This guys something that the ladies can't live without?
And the dialogue...and those cheesy time-worn comments that pop out of his mouth at every turn.
"Chez Joey", indeed.
This is a clunky and tired musical chestnut. It was raped and beaten and then smoothed over for public exhibition. It is not the better for it.
I liked "Snuffy" the dog. And Kim Novak was gorgeous. And Rita Hayworth had some good moments.
Great songs, too.
But, "Woof"!
This is what Sinatra opted for when even HE realized he couldn't pull off playing Billy Bigelow in "Carousel".
Irresistible is the word, all right. Sinatra exudes charm, but more than that, there's always a certain underlying vulnerability in his acting. He seems like the kind of guy a woman imagines she can reform.
I really cannot imagine anyone not being awed by Sinatra the singer. The man was absolutely incredible. I think he would have been marvelous in Carousel. As others have pointed out, he sang "Soliloquy" throughout his career, and he sang the hell out of that song.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Cineman said:
That's what I loved about the Hytner revival of the stage musical. He captured the grinding poverty and mind-numbing, near slave conditions of the mill workers (Julie), the grubbiness of carny life, that although it was sad for sweet Julie to take up with such an obvious unsavory scoundrel it still was better than the trap she'd been living in at the mill. The approach made Hammerstein's lyrics soar in ways I'd never felt before, as many times as I'd seen the movie and other stage productions. It was heartbreaking to hear these characters sing words they had only seen written on kitchen samplers and never knew they could feel in real life, never knew they'd deserve to feel in real life and were not prepared by education, experience or a sense of self-worth to express ("IF I loved you..."). It made sense in ways the beautiful-looking stars in the beautiful-looking movie didn't. For the first time and in the most powerful way, I got the message Hammerstein must have been sending from the beginning but hadn't been fully expressed in the post-WWII to mid-1950's versions of Carousel; that even people who we might dismiss as the dregs of society will and deserve to fall deeply in love, usually not in a smart way, probably not in a way that makes sense to the rest of us, but they will and they deserve to just like the rest of us. This was not a R&H love story between kings and school teachers, decorated sea captains and governesses, war heroes and military nurses. It was a lot more challenging than that for your typical Broadway theater audience member. By the time that awkward, decidedly politically-incorrect, downright wrong, exchange comes where Julie explains to her daughter that someone can hit you, hit you hard and it not hurt, in this particular treatment of the story that moment was put in at least a more understandable perspective because of who these people were and where they'd come from. And that is something I didn't feel at all in the movie even though I'm a big fan of the movie and the actors in it.
That is beautifully articulated and exactly the way I feel, including the fact that I am also a fan of the movie and all of the actors in it, despite acknowledging that I have a certain "I wish it were otherwise" feeling when I watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks