What's new

International PAL AND OTHER-REGION DVD ANNOUNCEMENTS & REVIEWS (1 Viewer)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
OLIVER! looks and sounds terrific on Blu Ray and contains English language extras (inc a recent interview with Mark Lester).
I also bought FANNY, a budget release from Kino which also looks good.
Fox would not supply anything better than a non-anamorphic master of VIOLENT SATURDAY to Twilight Time but Carlotta in France have released a reportedly superb Blu Ray release of this great color noir in 'Scope with touches of PEYTON PLACE and WITNESS in its narrative.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I've tossed my Blu Ray of OLIVER!....too depressing to look at the lack of restoration, DVD like transfer. I'll keep the DVD..looks the same.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Ken, I hope you didn't really throw it out. I would have gladly taken it off your hands and paid for shipping as I don't even have the SD on that title. So sorry to hear it's not a better Blu.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Maybe I'm nuts or it's how my system reacts to the BD, but my German OLIVER! looks fantastic to me, and I am one critical bugger most of the time. The hallmark of bad is the Universal abortion that is SPARTACUS, which, like Ken, I tossed into the trash because it was such a travesty. For the disappointed chances are that the upcoming TT OLIVER! release will beat out the German one, as was the case with the TT THE EGYPTIAN versus the French and SoulMedia ones. The new German THE WILD ONE looks great to me, as well.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I am also happy with the added depth and detail in Germany's edition of OLIVER! on Blu Ray. Time will tell if Twilight will present the 'darker' restoration print -which I have never seen- but I doubt that Sony will have prepared two Blu Ray masters.
To be honest, as much as I love the musical adaptation, you really can't beat the David Lean film for a "dark" filmization of Dickens' novel. Darker visuals can't remove the 'lightness' of musical numbers like 'I'd Do Anything','Be Back Soon'.and 'Consider Yourself' (one of the best-staged production numbers ever put on film). The Lean version is available on Blu Ray from France and looks terrific.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I have just received the superb Carlotta blu ray release of VIOLENT SATURDAY. Light years ahead of the LBX Twilight Time release (let alone the Spanish and Australian releases, which came from the same soft print/master,which I believe was also in mono). The French release has a bonus feature with director William Friedkin discussing the movie (as well as one in French which unfortunately comes with no subtitles). Very worth the price. I recommend keeping an eye on Carlotta's upcoming releases of classic Hollywood movies.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
From Germany I just received and watched Budd Boetticher's City Beneath The Sea (1953) with Robert Ryan and Anthony Quinn. Very nice sharp transfer with somewhat muted colors. Soundtrack in both English (no German subtitles) and German.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Has anybody else mentioned this - if so, my apologies. On September 23, the Pegasus label in the UK will release the Tyrone Power film "American Guerilla in the Philippines". This is the cover art:

91dS0DlbVGL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Guerrilla-The-Philippines-DVD/dp/B00CWFY0XE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=DRSE9MFXRF9P&coliid=I23QY6YY33CYD3

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
classicmovieguy said:
Has anybody else mentioned this - if so, my apologies. On September 23, the Pegasus label in the UK will release the Tyrone Power film "American Guerilla in the Philippines".
I haven't mentioned it but I have made a note of it. Unless it's a really bad disc, I'll definitely buy it.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Pegasus are a 'budget' label but the quality of their discs varies to what elements are available to them. They are also behind the upcoming UK release of "King of the Khyber Rifles". I'm assuming these are the prints licensed via Hollywood Classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks