Painted wall as screen?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JasonMA, Jun 4, 2004.

1. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

Will a painted wall do a decent job as a temporary screen for a projector? I have a projector but no screen, and I just bought a house with a room that I am going to dedicate to HT, but I don't have a screen, nor the money to buy one. Will a white painted all work? If so, should it be glossy, semi-gloss, flat, etc? I will eventually buy a screen, but the WAF and money are holding that idea back. I think if I show her how good it can look, she will cave in and let me purchase a nice screen.

2. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Do not use glossy. What projector do you have?

BTW, I was in the market for a Stewart Firehawk until I saw the price. If you paint the wall and then frame the area with a nice black border, it will look good. I used a felt type material on mine that is more light absorbant than regular flat black paint....

[​IMG]

It is hard to tell from the picture but the surface is actually silver/gray and not white.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

YEs, a flat, matte white surface will do fine temporarily. As will blackout cloth on a frame. You can paint that too to make it a little better. There are many DIY screen solutions for various uses. Gray screens may help with digital projectors to improve blacks.

5. Tsutomu Ohno

Tsutomu Ohno Auditioning

Neil,

Can you provide more details on how you made the mask? It looks very attractive. Thanks.

Tsutomu

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The fabric stores sell wide rolls of velcro. I simply used some of that for a quick and fairly neat install.