What's new

PAINT BALL...How much ammo? (1 Viewer)

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 11 year old "little brother" through the Big Sister and Big Brother Of America Program. He is hyped about doing some paintballing....even got a new gun for Christmas. I have never been paintballing... let alone even shot one them guns. BUT...It sounds COOL!

I plan on taking him and his 11 year old buddy...plus my 20 year old son shooting later this afternoon (Sunday 3/21).

How many rounds of ammo can I expect to have to buy?

The field fee, gun ,safety gear and 100 rounds of ball is $25/person. I am not sure how they judge your play time, but I figure us playing about 3 hours.

I hear this place charges like $70 for a case (2000) paintballs... so I wanna kno' how much this shooting is gonna cost..as far as the ammo goes!

THANKS!

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
The place I go to about every week, Badlands Paintball, has different rates from owners than from renters (for obvious reasons).

I usually go on half price days, but I will list the typical prices for full price.

Entrance Fee: $5 CDN
C02 Refill: $5 CDN
100 paintballs: $10 CDN
500 (bag) paintballs: $50 CDN
2000 (case) paintballs: $240 CDN

Usually during a night, I'll go through a bag of balls, so that's about 500. This is mainly because I am more the type to shoot-feel-shoot, rather than lay down 15 balls per second at a time (realistic, as some markers can do upwards of 20 BPS). Depending on your shooting habits, you may require more.

I'm not exactly too sure what your "little brother's" shooting habits would be, but given that he's new to the sport, I would suggest a bag would suffice him for the afternoon.

Last but not least, make sure he has fun. Paintball can seem agressive, but it's really an extremely fun sport if you're in the right mindset. Why not rent a marker yourself and join him? You'll probably enjoy it just as much.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Mark, why is the case more expensive per ball?

100 balls per person won't last 3 hours, unless you are very conservative, very good, or very bad/unlucky (you get taken out early). If three of you are playing, I'd just buy the case (unless it wasn't cheaper) and share, especially if you think you might play again. You can use up any leftovers when you play again next month. If they run quick games, you could play one round and see if you like it.

100 balls might not even fill some of the loaders they make. Of course, if you want to take extra ammo on the field, you need canisters -- loose paintballs don't travel well in your back pocket. Some guys might take 2, 4, 6 extra canisters with them.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
Where i go to get balls, it's 30 dollars for 2000 and 2 dollars for 12oz co2 refills

25 dollars all day entrance fee

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
It depends on which course you play. Typically, most paintball courses have two different types, the woods or the obstacle course. The woods courses are normally less exhaustive on ammo, where it's more hunt and stealth with occasional shooting. The obstacle courses are usually more of the warzone type. You'll do lots of shooting and go through ammo pretty quickly. My advice is that it's better to have more ammo than less. Running out during a round sucks and there's no way to refill unless you leave the course, or have a buddy who can loan you some. Also, buying the paintballs from an off-site store should be cheaper. One other thing is to make sure your pressure canister is fully charged. Once you have no air pressure in the gun, your round truly is over...unless you can throw paintballs like Randy Johnson ;)

Bruce

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

You have to be careful with this, as some establishments (the one I frequent, at least) only allow paintballs to be used that are purchased from them.

Darren, I hope you and your "young brother" had fun today.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
I upgraded to a semi auto gun with 500paintballs. We had a blast in the caves... even the Ref got into the action! Played three hours and still had about 50 balls left over for use in the target gallery!

Thanks!

I did enjoy it enuff to maybe get my own gear and gun!!!!:emoji_thumbsup: ;) :)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
After my question to you, I was replying directly to Darren. Although I suppose I could have been more clear :)

And Darren, glad you had fun!

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Ha, glad to hear you had fun, Darren. I was going to post it before, but paintball sure is addicting.

My apologies then Ken. Sorry if my reply sounded kind of snobbish, or whatever (you get the point). I just couldn't find any other way to word it.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Some people overdress for paintball then sweat like a mo-fo. I prefer to play in a shortsleeve shirt and jeans. I will wear heavy boots and face-gear. Beyond that anything else is just fluff. The balls don't hurt THAT much.. and I've been point-blanked in the neck!

(though I would not want to repeat that unfortunate incident)

You MUST play along with the kids. Absolutely play in a paintball park.

Do:

Wear safety gear even standing near a field.
Use barrel-plugs.
Go out when hit.
Compliment other players.
Wear dark solid colors

Don't:
Argue with a ref
Take of your facegear even for a second
wear camouflage.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I agree. Most people do overdress. Mainly renters or newbies. I usually just wear either jeans or sweats, and a hooded sweater (hood helps keep the mask on properly, as well as covering the back of my neck).

Good suggestion. 230 FPS (the speed at my field) is enough to take your eye to the back of your head. Don't want that.

AllanN

Supporting Actor

Is this more of a rule for playing at a course? I always wore camo when playing in the woods with my friends back in high school.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I wore camo too. Me and my friends would play on private property in a wooded area. The camo helped some. We certainly weren't going to wear bright colors. Plus we all wanted as much skin covered as possible, we usually shot at 280 to 300fps once we got a chrony. The camo is good because it's relatively cheap, comfortable, durable, and who cares what happens to it.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
camo = N00b.

Paintballers, as a collection of sportsmen, have been trying to distance themselves from para-military wacos. In most circumstances camo (especially partial camo as most do) has limited use in the closed range, short distance paintball.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I guess it's a matter of how and where you play. When we played we'd split into two teams, one team would go into the wooded area and hide, the other would try to find them. There were many times the first part of someone I would see would be the face mask. We had a thick wooded area, with a clearing in the middle and a few paths leading in, lots of brush and tall grass, and a fair bit of poison ivy. Also we had a bunkers made of pallets. You could hide behind those pretty easily in camo. But if you wore a color that didn't blend in with nature you'd be spotted pretty quick.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Apology gladly accepted, Mark.

Yeah, we played on outdoor fields, and this is what we wore. Frankly, jeans don't sound comfortable.

AllanN

Supporting Actor

I see your point that in the closed range, where there is no woodland cover camo would be kind of useless and look silly.

You have to admit that in a larger woodland based game blending in and not being seen greatly decreases your changes of getting hit. I usually wore regular summer weight BDU shirt and pants, black leather gloves, and I painted my facemask OD green (not the goggles though ;)).

I personally prefer this type of play over a small course. Although we used more military style tatics I would not consider myself a “para-military waco”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks