What's new

Oz: The Great and Powerful (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
The problem is that with the "old-school" effects was that they TRIED to look realistic but sometimes failed. CGI effects are being pushed to look like big screen video games. Want to see an example of how CGI and "real" effects can make you forget that you are watching a movie? Revisit Jurassic Park..

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Quote:
cineMANIAC said:
Exactly. While the CGI in JP is a little dated by todays technical standards, the way it's USED is almost perfect. Eric, you hit the nail on the head with your "video game look" comment. This is what turns me off to the way a lot of the CGI in film is being done today. Effects work is effects work as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't matter if it's practical or digital. What I'm tired of are the effects, and most of them are CGI, that are deliberately calling attention to themselves. In many cases it's like these animation teams are lighting up a huge neon arrow pointing at their work so they can say "Look how cool we are!", and as I previously mentioned a lot of the techniques being used look the same from film to film to film. The "Oz" trailer is laden with this IMO. Yawn.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
New trailer:
http://disney.go.com/thewizard/?cmp=NLC-CDE|ozg|trailer|Franchise|Secondary|watchexclusive|111412|||synMovInTheatM|||#video

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If there was any question that they're drawing inspiration from the 1939 film, there certainly isn't now. The visual look is a very interest mix between the obviously handcrafted soundstage look of that film and the CG-fest of the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Liked the smoke shadow of the wicked witch at the end of the trailer

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Looks terrific. I wonder how this will coincide with the eventual movie version of Wicked?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks