What's new

Overwhelming Majority: South Park On DVD Themed Sets Must Stop (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It thoroughly amazes me that this still hasn't been addressed. WB would have to be terribly ignorant to not realize they are losing money. Look at the sales on all of these season-boxed sets that are coming out. I am confident that X-files, Stargate, Sex and the City, and other sell significantly since we are seeing multitudes of seasons arriving on DVD of more obscure shows. South Park would make a killing if released properly.

Alas, it is not. So every time I go to the store, I pass by South Park DVDs that I refuse to buy. I really would like to own a complete run of South Park on DVD, but to this day I only have the first 6 discs. Thank you Rhino for taking TV on DVD seriously.

I wish AOL would consider doing so.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Joseph, that NY Post article is excellent - I like the way the author takes pains to show why TV works & sells much better on DVD than VHS, and why people who are going to buy this stuff are going to want season sets.
Only problem is, they gave our favorite Fox VP a name change. Who's John Staddon?? :laugh:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Let's hope that now that they've "seen the light" with Friends season sets maybe they'll revisit the South Park situation.

this situation *really* frustrates me.

-dave

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
BOO! HISS!! I stopped buying the episodes when you guys decided we weren't big enough fans to enjoy every episode in order. I won't buy again until we get the treatment we deserve. South Park fans are pretty much die-hards. If anything can prove tha die-hard fans of shows will buy sets look at the X-Files box sets. They do very well. END OF STORY.

Jeremiah W

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have ONEepisode of South Park on DVD because Warner won't release the series by season and I won't until they do!!!!!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just sold all my South Park DVDs

and bought them in PAL format.

I gave up hope that Warner would do the

right thing and release them by season.

At least they are available overseas in

season boxed sets.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Keep the response going guys- I sent in a print out of this thread in January to Warner, and will send it again in March.

Thanks

Vince

Will K

Screenwriter
I would like to have South Park in my DVD collection, but only in season sets or in correct order. I have yet to purchase a theme set and have no plans to.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, here's another article that pertains to the topic, and note that this time they got Peter Staddon's name right. :)
Also note that the Warner Home Video rep quoted seems to be a new name - certainly he was not a participant in any of the past live chats, and people who were were listed with the same job title. I wonder if he's one of the reasons for the sudden about-face on the Friends release? Could there have been a sudden outbreak of common sense and business smarts at Warner Home Video? :D
DVD Clicks with TV Viewers (Chicago Tribune)
Regards,
Joe

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Here's another complete-season-on-DVD story that was printed in Sunday's Toronto Sun:
Link Removed
Here's a sample
As for M*A*S*H, Gelbart is upset that Fox did not
ask him to do anything extra. "I'm a little disappointed. I
hope I'm not that egocentric, but I wished they had talked
to me, or anybody connected with the series, for some
background. I think it's an incentive for people to buy --
if there is something new in it. As good as this DVD might
be, they could have had an extra layer. But this is so
business-as-usual: Box 'em up, get 'em out."
And now back to south park... Although I really want the European South Park DVDs, I think I'll wait a few more months. The first Friends season, along with the animated Batman DVDs, makes me thing something good may come out of Warner Bros. soon.
Hopefully.
By March.
Or I'll be importing myself some nice birthday gifts.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Just for the record, I sold any South Park Theme Sets and will only buy them if they continue with Volume 7 or come out in season sets.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
I would really like to see then discontinue all of the region 1 south park DVDs, and rerelease them in season box sets, just like every other show is doing. The first 6 are already in order, it wouldn't be hard to simple repackage them. I also like how the older dvds had intros with Matt & Trey, and if they are still into doing intros, they should for these new box sets. Also, the episodes should have chapter stops in them, so that you can also skip right past the intro if you don't want to watch it.
There are also MANY extras that could be included on bonus discs for each season.. the original Spirit of Christmas, the original hour-long Cartman Gets and Anal Probe episode (the one where the 4th grader bullies made him eat chili peppers, and that's why he was farting fire), the goin down to south park show that's on the christmas dvd, and many more..
WB, please please PLEASE release South Park in whole-season box sets, just like every TV show is doing! I have been a die hard fan since before the show was even on the air, and I want to collect EVERY episode, not just the ones you decide I should be allowed to see. Hell, if you really want to still do the themed sets, go ahead, but please at least also make the whole-season box sets. This way the 1 or 2 people out there that just want a couple episodes on disc will be happy, and the true fans who want it all will also be happy :)

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
I also have only the first 6 volumes with the Movie as well. I will not purchase any more South Park merchandise until Warner picks up with volume 7!!!

I have both M*A*S*H and The Simpsons Season 1 on DVD and most of Star Trek: TOS (not enough money to complete it yet but I will)

I also plan on picking up the Sopranos and the X-Files series.

The current "Best of" Friends DVD's are passed over by both me and my wife as we are waiting for the April 30 release of this series as it should be.

Warner, what does this tell you?

This customer goes in order and does not appreciate any deviation.

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
My Excitement... South Park on DVD!

My Dissapointment...Theme Set's!???

My Resolution...Your not getting one red cent of my hard earned money, Warner, until I see South Park released by season.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Themed sets? You have got to be kidding me, WB/CC.

Back when VHS was the foremost home video system, episodes of some of my favorite TV shows of all time were released: Cheers, The Simpsons, Star Trek, etc. I didn't buy a single one. Why? Because they were themed sets. I've always longed to be able to purchase full season sets of my favorite shows. Now, DVD has made such a dream practical, and I now own full seasons of everything from The Simpsons to The Sopranos. I would love to add South Park to my collection, but it's not going to happen unless it's released in season format. I guess my taped reruns will have to do.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Also, I think that they should show all of the episodes UNCUT and UNCENSORD so we can hear and see everything that we can't see on Comedy Central.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Also, I think that they should show all of the episodes UNCUT and UNCENSORD so we can hear and see everything that we can't see on Comedy Central.
If I'm not mistaken - each time you hear a bleep or see a visual censor on South Park - it's part of the episode. The censoring is done during the making of the episode as opposed to at the request of Comedy Central. I am of the mind that Trey and Matt think the censor beeps and visual blurrings are funny unto themselves. I would tend to agree.

Tino D'Voe

Agent
If you're sick of themed sets, there's a way of getting every episode online. Download them, then burn them onto a disk. Voila, every season and they're in order! One day if those clowns at the head office figure it out, and release them the way they should be, you can go buy the DVD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks