What's new

Overwhelming Majority: South Park On DVD Themed Sets Must Stop (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
While I don't like the format of the current discs, I still don't see how taping the shows from Comedy Central with that damn LOGO onscreen all the time is any better! I'm getting cable for FREE right now and I STILL won't watch Logo Central or any other channels that do this! I watched the 2 new discs last night and while I would have liked the episodes to be in order, or at least have more of them on each disc, at least I got to see them without any on-screen crap ruining the picture!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If Warner/Comedy central can't get it,
Just get the Malta DVD player for less than $300. Then get the R2 pal discs. This will also open you up to the world of DVDs in other regions that R1 hasn't produced or done poorly.
Oh, the Malta is also a great progressive-scan DVD player with scaling ability...and does good 3-2 pulldown if the DVD flags are set correctly.
-dave

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Warners lack of support for ORO has force me to spent my dollars overseas for the PAL season versions...
Now I sit with 4 seasons of SOUTH PARK....
Dugger

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Themed Sets = No sale.
It's that simple.
Why not get it right and release South Park on DVD in ORO (original running order)? Releasing 'themed sets' does not do the show justice and assumes (incorrectly) that South Park fans will settle for scattershot releases of this classic show.
South Park fans want all of the episodes made available in their original running order! I would love to see the evidence used to determine that consumers prefer 'best of' collections, because I have yet to meet a single person who does not support ORO. I, too, will not be purchasing these 'themed' sets.
Joseph Young

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
Themed sets are a travesty. It basically says to the consumer: "yes, we will take your money, but keep control of your viewing habits" This is why I will not buy themed sets- not just for the sake of South Park, but because I don't wish to financially encourage a TREND in this direction.
Remember DiVX? Consumers voted a resounding NO to that format, and why? Because it disallowed the power of ownership, and that's what this does.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
no offense Joseph, but i doubt most South Park fans know what a 'travesty' is.
wink.gif

anyways, add my name to the list! i'm a huge South Park fan...it's the funniest show on TV today! i own #'s 3-6 and the christmas set (only for the bonus chinpokomon episode :)). i really want to see them revert (ooh another big word) to the old chronological order.
thanks...hope someone listens.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I would just like to say that I am plannin on purchasing the region 2 or 4 south park dvd sets. I don't know much about the PAL speed up thing but does region 4 suffer from this. Also if they do how noticable is it? If this thread can get as much support as the wonka in widescreen thread then who knows. Come on Warner
------------------
Sorry about the previous Sig.
"Hell hath no fury like a womens scorn for sega."-Brodie Bruce
South Park season-by-season Again on DVD.
Beavis and Butthead on DVD
Family Guy on DVD

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, any place that uses PAL suffers from the 4% speedup. However, I will be buying these discs because Warner won't give me what i want
Understand, ALL STUDIOS
I WANT to buy your discs, FROM Region 1! I am MUCH happier to do so! BUT if you won't give me what I want, on time, then I'm sorry.
Jeff Kleist

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Put me down as yet another disappointed consumer. I had previously purchased all the South Park DVD's but I will NOT be buying any more unless they return to a season-by-season release. Themes are totally usless to me.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Why is this directed towards WB if the show is made by Comedy Central? I thought they just have WB distribute the DVD's and CC works on the content.
Judging from the extras on these discs, it looks like Paramount does the authoring and WB releases the DVD's. :)
How many episodes are there anyways? It doesn't seem like there's enough to put out season sets if it's only a few years old. (Friends must have around 200 episodes which explains the slow best-of releases.)
NOTE: Please don't put me down as a fan of this show or as someone who is complaining about the DVD's. I pretty much despise this show, I'm only putting in my 2 cents worth. I have no plans whatsoever to buy the SP DVD's.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
South Park has the following number of episodes

Season 1(13)

Season 2(18)

Season 3(17)

Season 4(17)

Season 5(8)

and currently I'm not sure if this is still season 5 or if u want to call it 6 there have been 3. So in total there are 76 episodes of south park. I would say that is more than enough to justify releasing season-by-season here in the states. Remember the Uk has up to season 4 so why can't we. Come on WARNER!!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I suggest that everyone who has signed this thread print out this article from Sunday's New York Post and snail-mail it to Warner Home Video at the address below. Maybe if they see the truth a few hundred times in cold, hard, type it will begin to sink in. WHV simply does not understand that DVD is not VHS, not when it comes to movies, not when it comes to TV series. They have fallen from the best and earliest champion of the format to an international laughingstock, and sooner or later they're going to feel it where it hurts - in the pocketbook. We're trying to save them from themselves here, whether they know it or not. (Say, can any of you guys in the Los Angeles area get hold of a shrink and stage an intervention? :) We'll force the head honchos at WHV to spend a couple of weeks in "rehab" over at Fox.)
Send those print-outs to:
DVD Marketing
Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91522
Regards,
Joe

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
My ultimate preferance would to have 1 season per DVD set. Similar to how the Simpsons is being sold on DVD. I will NOT buy themed sets.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, Paramount and Fox have raised the value proposition for television series DVD with a lower cost per episode and sequential releases.
Even third party labels like Artisan and A&E manage to release television series at a lower per-minute cost and proper sequencing.
If Warner honestly thinks they cannot make a profit by doing it the right way, they need to fire their bean-counters.
I will NOT buy any 'South Park' DVDs, and am relucatant to spend $20 for 4 22-minute episodes of the animated 'Batman' discs, even if they are in order. There are many TV series I am interested in, and the superior product from other studios is competing for my dollar. The dollar that could be Warner's, if they would just do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks