What's new

Directors Overrated bands (1 Viewer)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Brad_W,

Dream Theater is very well known in the progressive rock community. I feel that they play their instuments well but they need to learn restraint. Progressive rock is about more than shoving fifteen chord changes per minute into a song. Their album that everyone says is so bloody brilliant "Scenes From A Memory" is a good album but again suffers from them just plain overplaying. I do like the band, I have every album except the first one (I couldn't get into the first singer). I think they will mature into a better band given time.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I don't like this thread. I'm seeing a lot of bands that I like called "overrated". Why can't we all just get along and just enjoy the music? :D
Jon

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Donald,

We obviously disagree about a lot, but perhaps the most relevant thing we disagree about here is what a polls thread should be. You apparently feel it should just be a simple listing. I on the other hand, love when people expound on why they included things on the list.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I still think that if Smash Mouth has ever been paid in any currency other than organic fertilizer, they are grossly overrated.
I'm not an authority on who, among pop musicians are geniuses, but if the Beatles and Frank Zappa (by no means forgotten-the players he led and with whom he collaborated are a veritable "Who's Who" of rock and jazz virtuosos) don't qualify, who does?
Just to fuel the controversy;) though, I'll throw in a few more individual names: Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, Randy Newman, and Leonard Cohen.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
The Rolling Stones (Flame suit on)
Kiss
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
U2
The Who
Bob Dylan
The Grateful Dead
Limp Bizkit(SP?)
Rage Against the Machine
Red Hot Chili Peppers
As for the raging Beatles and Dream Theater debates I'll add this: The impact that the Beatles had is still being felt today. You cannot underestimate it, even if it doesn't always jump up and say 'the Beatles influenced me'. Dream Theater is hardly well known, even if you consider their standing in the prog rock field. I can't conceive of them being considered overrated.
Sheesh Mike B., we agree on most things. I can't believe that you'd underappreciate the Fab Four :D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
OK, listen up all: I like the Beatles!

But they're still overrated. You want proof? Look at this thread. So many bands were listed, but those who include the Beatles get crucified, and that's my point: if you point out anything about them that makes them look like less than gods, you are a rock 'n' roll heretic.

Other bands I like that are overrated:

Pink Floyd

Rolling Stones

Aerosmith

Metallica (especially their later stuff)

Emerson Lake and Palmer

There's a difference between recognising what you like, which is completely subjective, and how art fits with culture, which is objective.

I agree with Smashing Pumpkins. What a waste of talent: they could really rock out when they wanted to, but Corgan's ambition overreached his talent. Mellancolie is the most boring album I've ever heard, and I can listen to some really weird stuff.

Pearl Jam were cool when they first came out. Ten was record that brought dirt and feeling back into rock. Vedder's ego, however, took over, and that was the end of that.

Nirvana, though, might be the most overrated. I just don't understand the appeal. If you're into the whole Seatle "grunge" thing, there were much better bands, like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains, that actually knew how to play more then three chords and could put more into a song than one riff and awful yelling.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Jimi Hendrix has to be the most overrated musician ever. I mean he was good and all but he wasn't THAT spectacular.

This was just a joke for the people(if any) that love Jimi Hendrix and I believe he is the exact opposite of what I wrote. I just wanted to have some peoples heart jump out of their chest in amazment. So fellas don't get mad it was just for fun.

JohanK

Second Unit
Overrated is a funny term. Rated by whom?

Anyway, some bands that I don't care for but, I guess, are considered to be 'good' bands, are:

U2

Pearl Jam

Dave Matthews

Aerosmith

I don't care to listen to the Beatles but I wouldn't call them overrated b/c of their impact on rock-n-roll history. The same goes for Nirvana.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I'd say AC/DC.

Every bar band I've seen or been in must, as a requirement, play an AC/DC song. And you know what? People love it. People go wild at 1:00am when the band goes into "You shook me blah, blah, blah..." I just don't get it. Angus is cool but the rest of the band are BORING!!!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I've been reluctant to chime in, but here goes:
Beatles: How can the best rock and roll band of all time possibly be considered overrated?
The Grateful Dead: Guess you had to be there. Ok, so I wasn't actually there in body, but I was there in spirit. :D
U2: Loved "The Joshua Tree," loved "Achtung, Baby," (talk about a total change of pace). I have no idea what the fuck they are thinking lately. Three words: out of gas.
The Smashing Pumpkins: "Siamese Dream" was terrific. Too bad that's all Billy had in him.
Pearl Jam: It's one of those rare times I must disagree with Jack Briggs. :laugh: I love Pearl Jam. There is much more going on here than just "faux angst." And one of my cats is named Eddie after Mr. Vedder. :D

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I agree with just about everything Rain states above. Following are a few of my insignificant thoughts...

Most people HATE the Grateful Dead (at least pre 1986 and post 1990 - for some reason they were popular for about 4 years there with the whole Touch of Grey phenomenon), so it's impossible for them to be overrated. I myself am a Deadhead and am used to being looked at strangely when I admit so.

As far as the Beatles are concerned, BRILLIANT is the one word I can easily and comfortably use to describe their music. Complex chord arrangements and beautiful harmonies are just the beginning. Chemisty, song-writing, I can go on and on.

Overrated is U2. The Unforgettable Fire and War were good. Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum were OK. The Edge plays the most basic and uncomplicated guitar that I have ever seen or heard from a popular musician.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Guess you had to be there. Ok, so I wasn't actually there in body, but I was there in spirit.
Everyone is entitiled to their opinion, not matter how silly and wrong that opinion is :)
Rain is absolutley right, of course. How anyone can call The Beatles overrated is beyond me! I think such people lack the context to understand just how HUGE an influence they were and still are. Pure genius.
And yes you did have to be there to "get" the Dead. I can understand why people don't get or like the Dead, I have no problem with that, but the Dead were more than the music: it was the whole "scene", the shows were huge parties, and the Dead the world's best party band!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
If I hadn't been clear before why I'm disturbed by this thread, I'm just shocked at some of the bands mentioned (eg. The Beatles).
DonaldB.
I'm sure it's been brought up before, but goodness gracious, is there anything you like in this world? It seems like every hate/don'tlike/overrated list you've ever made consists of movie/films/music that is greatly loved by lots of people.
I'm curious, what do you like? Certainly you wouldn't mind sharing? :D

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Dome, I'm aware that many of my dislikes are things beloved lots of people, but then I readily concede that I'm not lots of people -- quite relieved, in fact, that I'm not lots of people. ;)
Lots of people wrongly equate influence/popularity/cultural importance with aesthetic merit. Contrary to what Mr. Briggs believes, there is no mathematical equation, no conclusive objective evidence that can prove that The Beatles, or anyone else for that matter, are the best band of all time. It's only impossible for them to be overrated for those that accept on blind faith such an absurd proposition. That The Beatles were the biggest and most influential pop band of all time is objectively true, but that does nothing to prove that they're better than, say, some kazoo-playing goat herder in Tunisia that no one other than his flock has heard of.
It's amazing how so many are so obviously troubled when confronted with an opinion contrary to their own, and Beatles fans are just about the worst. Rational discourse isn't possible with most of them, because they hold their convictions with the same zealousness that a religious fundamendalist does. One would accomplish more by thwacking one's head against a concrete wall than to argue with them. That's not to say that they're bad people; most of them on the whole are pleasant enough.
To dispel your suspicion that there's nothing I like, here are a few of my favorite things:
The Rolling Stones
The Kinks
CCR
Velvet Underground
The Stooges
Can
Tall Dwarfs
The Fall
Joy Division
DQE
Swell Maps
Sonic Youth
Mission of Burma
John Zorn
Sebadoh
Yo La Tengo
Bettie Serveert
Pavement
Minutemen
Steve Albini
The Wedding Present
Janice Joplin
JS Bach
Beethoven
John Cage
Igor Stravinsky
Skip James
Charlie Patton
Robert Johnson
Billie Holiday
Django Reinhardt
Stephane Grappelli
John Coltrane
Bill Evans
Miles Davis
Thelonious Monk
Sun Ra
Marcel Proust
James Joyce
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov
Jeanette Winterson
Italo Calvino
Vladimir Nabokov
Jorge Luis Borges
Wallace Stevens
Marianne Moore
Harold Bloom
Richard Ellmann
Frank Kermode
VS Pritchett
Anthony Burgess
Luis Bunuel
Robert Bresson
Yasujiro Ozu
Wes Anderson
Nagisa Oshima
Orson Welles
Stanley Kubrick
Preston Sturges
Martin Scorsese
Tsai Ming-Liang
Edward Yang
Hou Hsiao-Hsien
Ingmar Bergman
Wong Kar-Wai
Shohei Imamura
Carl-Theodor Dreyer
Andrei Tarkovsky
David Lynch
Bros. Kaurismaki
Bros. Dardennes
Bros. Coen
Jane Campion
Fruit Chan
Satyajit Ray
Chantal Akerman
Jean Renoir
Alain Resnais
Wasily Kandinsky
Marcel Duchamp
Joan Miro
Mark Rothko
Piet Mondrian
Johannes Vermeer
Pieter Brueghel the Elder
Hieronymus Bosch...
...just off the top of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks