What's new

Overloaded on DVD's (1 Viewer)

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I've enjoyed reading this thread and how other people are dealing with TV on DVD overload. For me, I try not to buy anything that I know I'm not going to watch at least twice. To make sure that happens I divide my viewing time between newly-purchased sets and sets that have been on the shelf for awhile. I'm as anal as most collectors about watching a series and season sets in order after I buy them, but after I've finished the series I like to go back and pull a box off the shelf at random, pop in a disc without reading the episode list, and then selecting one of the episodes listed on the 'Menu' screen.

Now that enough different shows are out, I next plan to recreate original network lineups from the 60s, 70s and 80s - maybe even with a few vintage commercials in between.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

Exactly! That and the unskippable studio content disclaimer, distributor/studio logo/animation, and frequently the annoying animated menu you're forced to watch before you can select the "episode" sub-menu. I've timed a few of the worst offenders and found they eat up anywhere from 3-4 minutes per disk. It adds to the overload by causing as much as a full half hour episode's viewing per evening to be "lost".

I've never understood why you can skip all this junk on some sets but not others. I'd be happy if a DVD just started and immediately came up on a static menu. No animation, audio, etc.
Yeah, those "FBI" & Piracy Warning slides are annoying. I had an older R-free Sony player that was modified to be able to skip all of those slides in any DVD but that player didn't have the internal PAL/NTSC Converter so I got rid of it if I recall....maybe it's still in a closet? :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm pretty picky now too as my shelves are way too full. I've gone back to an Apple TV, and pretty much am Digital Download friendly. If I can get it DD I do. If not I convert whatever I buy to play on the ATV and then store the disks.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'll be getting "Picky" as well. My shelves are just about full (To create more space I've been purchasing some of the 8-10 Disk Boxes shop4tech.com sells.) However the primary reason is because of the amount of DVDs I have accumulated in the last three years. I have calculated it will take me over ONE DOZEN years to watch each episode and movie I have accumulated, so most of next years acquisitions will be tied to those series I already own. I have literally created my own TV Network, which I call LSN!

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I guess you could call my TV network WEO after my initials. Next May I can get out from under my cable contract and I plan to just have the Basic lineup after that for the local news etc.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
You guys are way out of my league

That sounds like a thread idea....How long would it take you to complete viewing (1st time view) of your complete TV/DVD collection, if you stopped buying DVD's today?

For me, I think it would be about 1.5 - 2 yrs max but if the Earth passed through a metor shower in the Clarke Belt and knocked out all of the DirecTV birds up there, then I'd probably be done with the DVD's in 6-8 months.

Even with the slowdown of most 50's/60's TV/DVD releases, I have enough coming from CBS/P and a couple of other outlets to keep my collection fed enough to extend my viewing tine for another 3 yrs, I think.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
gosh, i am buying to last me a lifetime. if and when a show comes out completely, and has good reviews, i plan to get it if i think i will like it. it can be an old or a new show. i dont dislike all new shows.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
Originally Posted by BobO'Link ">[/url]

I currently have over 200 movies and over 100 seasons of TV shows still in shrink wrap with more on the way (just got one TV season in the mail today).

[/QUOTE]

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have over 330 dvds or nearly 100 shows. i have complete series for Riptide, F-Troop, Star Trek, The Invaders, Magnum PI, Married with Children, a-team, starsky and hutch, rockford files, planet of the apes and many more. I basically watch 3hrs of tv a night and it is all my dvds. I start from a row in my cabinet a picked one dvd to watch a night. i am still collecting, but, it is more a hobby -vs- wanting to watch all the shows, because it would take me 2-3 years to watch my collection.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

Exactly! That and the unskippable studio content disclaimer, distributor/studio logo/animation, and frequently the annoying animated menu you're forced to watch before you can select the "episode" sub-menu. I've timed a few of the worst offenders and found they eat up anywhere from 3-4 minutes per disk. It adds to the overload by causing as much as a full half hour episode's viewing per evening to be "lost".

I've never understood why you can skip all this junk on some sets but not others. I'd be happy if a DVD just started and immediately came up on a static menu. No animation, audio, etc.
Fox is a terrible offender on this. I was watching the BD of Dollhouse the other night, and the FBI stuff goes on and on and is unskippable, and then there's a horde of trailers that you have to skip past....ve.e.e.e.r.e.e.e.e.e. . . .ve.e.e.e.r.e.e.e.e.e. . . . .sl o . o . o. o . o . w . l . e .e . e . e . e. And of course since it's programmed to not allow you to restart when you shut it off, you have to either watch all the episodes in one sitting, or go through the agony again. I hate Fox as much as they clearly hate us.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Don't want to know how long it will take. Plus how can you accurately guage this around Nightly TV and other activities and god.. work...

What has help is that while I digitize the shows themselves down for the Apple TV, I also get copies to watch on my various portables and that is pretty much where I watch the majority of the shows, at lunch, sitting at the car repair as I was this weekend, or at bedtime. I think I watched the entire set of Tales of Wells Fargo this way, don't think I saw one on a TV Set per se. (Great series BTW) I have a Cowon 02 that is the perfect size for watching. Along with a Ipod Touch and a Zune HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks