What's new

Overheating power cord to laptop (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
What would make the power cable that plugs into the back of my office laptop suddenly start to get burning hot?

It was really getting piping hot, and sometimes the computer would shut off, so I ordered another power cord (the power cord and bulky cube on the cord thing) that had the same specs, and I tried using that.

It melted. The plug that goes into the back of the laptop melted inside it. Fortunately all the plastic came out when I yanked it out.

So I went back to the older power cable. Which must be a better plastic because so far, it has not melted even though it gets really hot.

I don't know what could be the problem. I've had overheating computers before, but usually that was the processor overheating from dust in the vents. This is different - this appears to be heat being caused by the way electricity gets into the computer. I have no ideas about this. Any help appreciated. Would a better power strip help? The one I have is less than a year old, and isn't a cheap one.

Sadly, a new computer is unlikely to be an option, unless the problem gets worse. So far, it only shuts itself off maybe every other day, so I am managing. But I am concerned.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Sounds to me like the input (AC) voltage may be incorrect. If you feed 240 V to a device designed for 120 V, you'll get what you describe here. You need to verify the line voltage coming out of that outlet and make sure it matches what the transformer [bulky cube] is designed for. Some transformers can handle both. If everything is correct there, then you may have a bad power supply in your laptop.

By all means, stop using the computer until you get this resolved.

John

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Ditto. On all counts, but particularly this one. Sounds like you are either running off a 240V line or there is some crossed wires somewhere which is pumping a lot of stray voltage into that outlet. Regardless, it is dangerous and you should get it fixed.

EDIT: You might also want to try a voltage regulator on the outlet. Something like one of Monster's clean power or something similar to see if that helps. But getting an electrician in would be the best option.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks John and Justin, I think you're on the right track -- the building is very old and so I will get someone to check the voltage. I've gotten by the last few weeks by placing the power cube thing on glass, which is very good at dissipating the heat. But sometimes the computer still shuts off, so... electrician it is. Thanks.

amidcars

Grip
Real Name
Nick Thompson

This definitely seems to be incorrect input to the PC...you must get it checked first with some mechanic..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks