What's new

Overclocking Question (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
So I went with the upgrade, and the guy at PC Waterloo basically confirmed my suspicion that the P4 1.8a isn't worth the extra $100 over the 1.6a. He actually pointed out that the p4 CPUs overclock very well, and that by simply modifying the FSB I should be able to get the CPU running much faster (he claimed 2.2 GHz). Can anyone conform how stable this is? I've just tried setting the FSB to 133 instead of 100, clocking my CPU at 2128 MHz, and there doesn't seem to be any problems so far. The monitoriing util is telling me that the CPU temp is at 45C right now, and it's been fluctuating around there for the last hour since I overclocked it (highest it hit was 48 I think). Can't seem to find too much information on what is a "dangerous" range though-anyone have any input?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'd run a few games at high resoloutions and see what happens.

Tax the CPU a little

My question is .. do you need 2128 MHz?

I'm looking at upgrading my Duron 750 to 1.3G and that should be plenty fast enough for "anything" i could see coming up in the next year.

Brent

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
The 1.6a is the king. Highly Recommended!!!

Got FSB set at 144 with vcore set at 1.625v. Clocked at 2304. Using the stocked HSF. Ran Prime95 and Sandra with no problems. Been set this way for about 3 months with no lockups or anything. Temps are at 40c idle / 45c max. All this is set on a ASUS P4B333 mobo. Have memory set 1:1 ratio.

This chip is amazing. I almost have a 50% overclock and all this with the stock HSF. The $133 that I paid for the chip is worth every penny.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
The 1.6A has been very popular on all the computer related forums since it was released. People buy it all the time because it does 2.133GHz so easily. It's actually a shame when someone buys a 1.6A and doesn't overclock it.
If your 1.6A is like the other 95% of the 1.6A's out there, you will be completely stable at 2.133GHz without changing any settings. 45C is a perfectly fine operating temperature for your P4, and it actually has a thermal sensor built in that will shut the PC down if it ever goes too high.
If you really feel the need to test the stability, download a program like 3DMark2001 (MadOnion) and loop the default benchmark for as long as you like, or download Sisoft Sandra and loop the CPU Burn-In for as long as you like.
IF you find yourself unstable at that speed, you can bump up the core voltage very slightly (the next setting up) and it should be completely stable. It's unlikely that you'll need to do this (assuming you have a decent heatsink and decent ventilation in your case).

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, just to verify I ran the CPU at 1.6 Ghz for a while to see what the temp was, and it stuck around 45. Keeping it at 2.1 from now on I think-nice value for the money.

Drew Wimmer

Stunt Coordinator
sheesh, temps that low with a 33% oc? damned impressive, if only intel's could actually back up their numbers with an appropriate performance level ;) (yeah, i'm an amd fan :D)
that temperature is just fine btw, don't get worried until it gets into the 50's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks