What's new

*** Over 100 reviews in 9 months: Thank You for supporting me HTF membership! (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Congratulations, Ronny...May you review over 100 more.
You do a wonderful service, we must say.
Soon you'll be getting Disney product? Well, ZIP A DEE DO DAH!, my good man.
Thanks a lot.
Sincerely,
John "Would like to be a DVD reviewer someday...just need to brush up on what's OAR and what isn't" Kilduff

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
I don't always have time to read the reviews, but when I do I always enjoy them and really appreciate the fact that you are so upfront about stating your own biases pro and con certain genres, styles, etc. (Case in point is the Buckaroo Bonzai review in which you state clearly that this kind of movie is not your "thing," but proceed to give it a rave review based on the disk's strengths non the less.)

And for the record, based on your reviews I have bought two DVDs of films I had never seen -- Say Anything and Moulin Rouge. Loved 'em both!

One suggestion you can take or leave: If you are concerned at all about your writing from a technical p.o.v. why not see if someone here with some skill in this area might not be willing to do some light editing for you? Just a thought ....

Deborah

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I could really care less about 'writing skills'...
Damn, I can't believe Jack left this one alone. :D
Ron, I also appreciate the depth of your reviews when it comes to the extras. I'm not much of an extras person, but knowing beforehand how much information they contain will often get me to check them out. Personally, I'd like to see you review some more independent/obscure films, but I can completely understand the focus on higher profile titles. Keep up the good work!

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
As I mentioned to you and Parker when we met over at Dave's Video, you provide an invaluable service to all Home Theater enthusiasts and film lovers. Keep up the fabulous work!!!
Now you and Parker should move out here where the action is! :) :) :)
Jeff

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
While I enjoy some of Ron's review, it's not fair of him to compare his output to other DVD sites. They almost always provide more in-depth reviewing, including a review of the commentary track(s).

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I love your reviews, I value being able to get more then one view on any new title, and I look to see what you've reviewed everytime I log onto the site. Keep up the good work! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Brian

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jack wrote:
And you realize that your reviews have cost me a lot of money!
But I don't regret any ct of it!
And I cannot agree more with Ron than I already do about Moulin Rouge. A film loved by my whole family, and my first attention to it (before it even hit the theatres) was drawn by Ron's post.
And some fine actors in it:
MoulinRonbo.jpg

Brilliant! :)
Cees

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I always love reading your reviews Ron, and am excited that you'll be recieving disney product soon, can we expect reviews of the many adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Old Yeller, The Parent Trap and the rest of their upcoming releases? Congratulations on the milestone, and definitly keep up the reviews! better than many others I read.

Adam

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Ron,
No matter whether I agree with you reviews or not, having a tiny bit of knowledge with doing reviews & such makes me appreciate the effort that you put in to your insights.
Please keep up the good work!:emoji_thumbsup:
And that goes for all of the people running/overseeing the HTF. This is my favorite site,& I promote it on my cable access show every month.
PS: I've also helped to convert most of my scifi club to DVD's - mainly because of the knowledge I've gained here :)
Calvin

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I write reviews as a hobby as well, Ron, and I can sympathize with a number of your points, particularly the difficulty in avoiding sounding repetitive considering the excellent quality of the majority of the titles that are released on a regular basis. I appreciate the time and effort you put into your reviews, and I hope you keep at it for quite some time to come.

The only suggestion I would make would be to consider watching all of the episodes in your reviews of television box sets, or at least more than 1/8th of the material. I don't mean to sound negative, though.

Congrats on your first hundred reviews, and I'm looking forward to the next hundred!

MikeM

Screenwriter
Ron, I just wanted to thank you for the time and effort you put into each review.
I especially want to thank you for your format. I always jump right to the "How is the Transfer?" area of each review which makes avoiding spoliers, for films I haven't seen yet, extremely simple.
Thanks again, I really do appreciate your work on each review! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The following comment is directed towards any "professional" reviewer who would dare to criticize the output of Ron:
Opinions are like DVD review web sites. Everybody has one.
:D
Congrats on the milestone, Ron.
- Steve

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Damn you Cees;). MR is one of my favs, what do YOU think is going to happen next time I watch it and see Zidler.
Peace Out~:D

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I own Moulin Rouge and can't believe I missed the Ron Jeremy cameo. Have to screen it again tonight!

Jim

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the hard work and congratulations on reaching an important milestone.

Remember, there will always be those that gripe and moan and those that actually *DO* something. Don't let bitchers and moaners get you down. It is far easier to complain than to do.

-greg

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ron,

When considering a purchase, I always check out your review first.

I can count on your reviews for plain no-nonsense unpretentious honesty, both in your evaluation of technical quality and in the more subjective evaluation of the film itself.

I can honestly say I've never regretted purchasing a title you've recommended, and have definitely regretted purchasing at least one you did not like--Thirteen Ghosts comes to mind.

Although we don't always like the same film genres--I have a kneejerk dislike of musicals, for example--I have taken a chance on some films I'd normally ignore just because you recommended them.

I'd have avoided Moulin Rouge like the plague, bought it anyway and loved not only the presentation but the movie itself.

I'll take honesty and completeness in a reviewer over high-flown literary style and technical doubletalk any day of the week.

Thanks for your efforts, Thanks for HTF, Stay healthy so we can continue to enjoy your efforts!!

Horatio Jones

Stunt Coordinator
wow, amazing. Pat yourself on the back some more. No really. We should all have it so tough, with studios sending you FREE movies. Cry me a river. I do enjoy your reviews though, certainly much better and ultimately different the Obi's. But honestly Ron, I wish we could all have to work our 40+ hour jobs and get free movies to watch.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jeez Ron, when do you sleep!? ;)
Seriously, this forum is like a second home to me, i've been here for three years now, and find this forum to be about as addicting as dvd itself!
I find nothing wrong with your reviews Ron, I find them to be quite user friendly in fact. Your reviews are easy to understand, and represent the opinion of a man who just loves movies, that is PRECISLY what I like about them.
I am definatly with you in your love for Moulin Rouge, it was far and away, one of the most electric and dazzling films i've ever seen, and I loved your review of it, it's probably my favorite of all your reviews so far.
Keep up the good work, and get some sleep! ;)

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I also love being here. I don't know how long it's been since I joined here, but I can't seem to leave this place. I spend a couple of hours here EVERY day, just to see what all the people are talking about.

I like reading your reviews, even if I disagree with them. (i.e. 13 Ghosts, which in my opinion was a very fun movie).

Anyway, I, myself tried to be a reviewer at a DVD website that I go to almost every week, and I did a review that took me 5 hours to do, because 2 hours were spent on the movie, and then I spent 3 hours doing the review.

Anyway, the vice-president didn't like the review, because he said that my writing skills weren't good enough. So, my three hours that I spent on the review were wasted. Oh well.

In case anyone was wondering which movie I reviewed, it was "Gattaca" (The first DVD release...not the superbit).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks