What's new

Outtakes : why don't we see them more often? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't know, My Man Godrey is from 1936 and the Criterion DVD has outtakes, and they're actually really funny! I'd like to see more bloopers from older classics.
That's just one film. Outtakes are still very rare, even if a few scraps re-surface. The only other outtakes of classic films I can think of are...

"Scarecrow Dance" from The Wizard of Oz
A few animation outtakes from Snow White
The deleted "Clair De Lune" from Fantasia (Which was partially in another film)
Countless takes from City Lights
Outtakes from Sunrise

This is just a few films...out of thousands made before 1970.

PhilShen

Grip
I second the Liar Liar CE outtakes - Jim Carrey's improv scenes are hilarious!
With CG animated movies, I enjoy the added fake outtakes, but don't forget that there are outtakes from the animation process - as a tech geek I like seeing the CG goofs. A couple that comes to mind: Ultimate Toy Box for Toy Story 1&2 has some animation mistakes, and Shrek has a technical goofs gag reel with a very fuzzy donkey. :)

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
With CG animated movies, I enjoy the added fake outtakes, but don't forget that there are outtakes from the animation process - as a tech geek I like seeing the CG goofs. A couple that comes to mind: Ultimate Toy Box for Toy Story 1&2 has some animation mistakes, and Shrek has a technical goofs gag reel with a very fuzzy donkey.
I didn't really get anything out of that reel. It would have been more interesting if there had been longer clips, or something more substantial than mis-rendered scenes.
I like the Pixar 'fake gags', but Jackie Chan's stuff takes the cake. It's always fun watching people hurt! :D
"The Ususal Suspects" gag reel was funny, if crass, and you can tell it had been sitting in a closet since 1993...

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
When I first heard of the outtakes for Bug's Life I was hoping that they would animate to the actor's real flubs while recording the movie. I was a bit disappointed to see that they were scripted.

--Ian

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I really liked Magnolia's gag reel, especially the part with Tom Cruise & the diabetic cat :D .

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget about Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

(and not just the outtakes....the Michael Jackson Thriller video is pretty funny too)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Just picked up Queen of the Damned DVD which has lots of Special Features including a great little GAG REEL....shows some of the vampires "flying at each other" with their wires getting crossed. Great stuff! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I like outtakes for comedies, though I don't think I would enjoy seeing, for instance, Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins giggling about flubbed lines during the shooting of Silence of The Lambs. It would ruin the impact of the finished scenes for me. Comedies, definitely. "Serious" films, nope.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Speaking of lasers...Abbott and Costello Comedy box set has outtakes from 2 of the films in the set.
To see one of the best comedy teams ever screwing up their lines and cussing at each other was worth the price of the whole box set. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks