What's new

Outstanding multichannel mixes (1 Viewer)

FeisalK

Screenwriter
what SACD/DVDA would you guys consider having outstanding m/c mixes? I don't have a hi-end audiophile system to worry about 2-channel SQ, but m/c mixes really do it for me :)

To start off...

Floyd DSoTM
Roxy Music Avalon and
Blue Man Group Audio

f

TomCW

Second Unit
Mary-Chapin Carpenter - time*sex*love* has a pretty interesting MC mix, plus really good sonics.
Tom

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The best multichannel mix I've ever heard is the DTS-ES CD of Midnight Oil's "Capricornia". The fidelity is pretty magnificent also, thanks to great original engineering work.

Oh, and the music is great, too. Do a search for my review here.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Cheap Thrills
Workingman's Dead & American Beauty
Fragile
JT
Brain Salad Surgery
Gaucho, Two Against Nature & Everything Must Go
The Nightfly & Kamakiriad
Blow By Blow
The Marvin Gaye Collection

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Feisal,

I concur with a good many listed already, but would add Big Phat Band - XXL (this is the BFB's new disc).

This is the best sounding disc I own, bar none. Absolute reference quality.

BGL

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If you like 70s R&B, two great examples of vintage quadraphonic mixes re-purposed for modern 5.1 are the SACD of the O'Jays "Ship Ahoy" and the DTS CD of the Ohio Players' "Honey".

Regards,

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Glen Phillips' ABULUM DVD-A has a really nice multichannel mix. It expands the soundstage without sounding gimmicky at all. Plus, it's better than anything he did with Toad The Wet Sprocket. Definitely recommended!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Tacet's DVD-As of classical music all feature interesting surround mixes, often employing different surround ideas for different pieces on the same disc. The 6 Brandenburg Concertos, for example, are all mixed differently. The one with three violins is a lot of fun and a beautiful listen.

Peter Gabriel's Up is outstanding, particularly one of my favorite pop songs of the past 20 years, Growing Up. The mix on that is super sweet.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
All DTS CDs:
Steve Miller Band - Fly like an Eagle
McCartney- Venus & Mars

Eagles - Hell Freezes over sounds great, I just dont care much for the songs

David Scott

Stunt Coordinator
My two favorites so far:
Roxy Music- Avalon
Beck- Sea Change

Everything I've heard from AIX is also excellent.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
The one AIX disc I own is the best MC recording I've heard:

Zephyr: Voices Unbound is a jaw-dropping recording of
a cappella English and French vocal music that will leave you astonished.

I agree with many of the other recommendations, particularly Beck and Steely Dan.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm not exactly going out on a limb here, but I concur that the best multichannel remixes I've heard are:

Beck "Sea Change" SACD
Roxy Music "Avalon" SACD

I think Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" DVD-A is nearly as good, as is Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" SACD. Tipper's "Surrounded" DVD-A should also be mentioned for its extreme use of the surroundscape, but unlike every other title mentioned, I simply don't find the music very compelling.

"Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" SACD is also quite good, but I haven't yet fully digested it. Worth mentioning though. Bowie's "Heathen" SACD is also a favorite of mine, though I don't put it in the upper tier. I don't yet know what to think of the "Tommy" SACD remix. I've only sampled the multi-mix thusfar, having reverted quickly to the stereo mix for that first listening. Unlike most of the others mentioned, the "Tommy" remix substantially changes the feel of the music... and I'm not sure it'll ever quite win me over.

But I used to feel the same way about Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters", and now I listen to the multichannel remix nearly as much as the original stereo mix.

I've avoided any of the so-called "ambient" mixes, such as Alison Krauss + Union Station "Live", Ana Caram's "Blue Bossa", MTT/SFSO's "Mahler's 1st Symphony", Coleman, Stern, Carter, Cobb "4 Generations of Miles"... really a slew of fantastic live classical and jazz releases ...but only because I didn't think these sorts of mixes are what this thread's about. But, nonetheless, these are some of the finest examplets of multichannel music out there.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
thanks for all the recommendations, everyone ;)

*sigh* DVDAs a bit thin on the ground here.. :frowning:

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
SACD:
DSoTM
Either Spyro Gyra

I just picked up The Who Tommy and it has a unique mix. Some of the vocals actually come from the rear. Overal excellent sounding IMO, really envelopes you.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Also check out Alan Parson's On Air, one of the original DTS 5.1 music CD's. Definitely worth a listen!
Big Phat Band's XXL and DTS's A Nighty at the Opera are both great. Also gotta put in a good word for the SACD JT by James Taylor. Excellent mix and sound quality.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" SACD is also quite good, but I haven't yet fully digested it. Worth mentioning though. Bowie's "Heathen" SACD is also a favorite of mine, though I don't put it in the upper tier.
I am stunned that the SACD of Scary Monsters and Let's Dance, which are both from the 80s, weren't remixed into 5.1, yet a primitive recording like Ziggy was.

Unless, being so much more simple, it was easier to mix Ziggy into 5.1, but SM and LD would have posed a greater creative challenge.

Still, I am concerned about being double dipped by these two flat titles; surely they'll release 5.1 versions eventually? (I've been looking all over the web for info on Bowie's SACD plans but there's not much info out there that I could find).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks