What's new

Outside coating for non shielded (and shielded) speakers. (1 Viewer)

Gabriela Mendez

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know of some material to protect a CRT TV from Speaker magnets? Even though my floor speakers are shielded, they still tamper with my tv screen. Any way of covering the speakers from the outside or a simple solution other than replacing/removing/moving the speakers?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Moving them further away is your simplest answer (assuming you have room).

There is a material called "Mu-metal" that can be used to cut down EMF, or a thin sheet of stainless steel.

JamesCB

Second Unit

I would consider contacting your dealer or having them serviced if they are under warranty. Any speaker that claims to be sheilded should not interfere with the monitor. If you are having this problem, I would suspect the bucking magnets may be faulty or may not be installed properly.

How close are the speakers to the monitor? Even unsheilded speakers usually do not interfere with the monitor, even if they are as close as 12", of course depending on the strength of the magnets.

Moving them now is also very important as constant magnetic fields can permanently damage a monitor over time.

What speakers are you using?

James

Gabriela Mendez

Stunt Coordinator
JBL SVA1800. I wonder if a electric socket could tamper the screen. This only happens on the right side of the monitor. By the way, when I upscale to 1080i (zenith dvb318 & xbox). I get lines on that same side of the TV. Something minor, but still a burden. I'll try moving the TV and see if this goes away.

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
I see that your speakers are JBL from the HK folks. Now let me guess, your television is a Sony. Even if it's not here's some information for you.

This solution uses flat 16 gauge sheet steel which is commonly available from Lowes, Home Depot, ACE and like stores.

(hint 1 - use heavy duty mounting tape to adhere the sheet metal.)

(hint 2 - wax (do not wax tape areas) the metal sheeting to avoid rusting.

(hint 3 - when the sheeting is used on the exterior of the speaker it may be painted to match the speaker.)

Check this out.

To add additional shielding within the speaker case: Open the case, determine the most appropriate location and take measurements.

To add additional shielding outside of the case: Determine the appropriate location (if not the entire side) and take measurements.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks