Outlaw's new pre/pro, the 990.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jed M, Apr 2, 2005.

1. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Other than one or two flagship receivers, I don't think any of the receivers with room correction works consistently. Most of the Outlaw products I'm aware don't offer cutting edge technology. To me, they seem to focus on established technologies and try to give the consumer a quality piece of equipment at a fair price. I'm eagerly waiting for the reviews to see how the things that matter most to me work out - S/N ratio, cross-overs, component video signal degradation...

2. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

Sounds like a lot to me!

From the newsletter:

- Full-featured surround processor/tuner with Dolby Digital EX, ProLogicIIx, Dolby Virtual Speaker, Dolby Headphone, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6 and Stereo Bypass modes.
    - Unmatched range of audio, video and digital inputs including two-input DVI switching (video-compatible with HDMI), three high-bandwidth (over 100 MHz) component video inputs, high-quality phono input, five optical digital inputs, two coaxial digital inputs, USB input for computer audio playback, “direct” inputs with bass management for use with DVD-A, SACD and future high-def DVD players and multiple analog audio, video and S-Video inputs. (Yes, we know you would have preferred that HDMI be included in this list of inputs. We would have loved to include HDMI, but it is still a technology in transition and it is possible that the currently available implementations may not be upgradeable. The combination of DVI and “direct” analog inputs insures compatibility with future formats and players.)
    - High performance 192/24 DACs on all output channels feeding both balanced audio outputs and standard line level audio outputs. Stereo subwoofer outputs.
    - Powerful configuration system with quadruple crossover bass-management, renameable inputs, automated setup for speaker size, delay and output levels.
    - Lip sync delay individually adjustable for each video input up 250 mS for perfect image-to-sound alignment with digital video displays, processors and sources.
    - Stereo up-sampling of all PCM and analog input signals to 192 kHz.
    - Upgradeable software and firmware via either RS-232 or USB connection.
    - High quality video cross-conversion from composite or S-Video to component, with menus visible on the component output.
    - Full multi-room system, complete with remote for second zone.

These features are just enough to make me consider moving the 950 upstairs!

3. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

What is it that this model has that the 950 doesn't?

4. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

ProLogicIIx, DVI switching, I think more inputs, Lip sync delay, USB input, thats just the stuff off of the top of my head, having owned niether of them.

5. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I will for sure be giving this new unit a try....

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Look at the post above yours and pretty much everything except DD EX and DTS ES are new.

7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Has anyone else looked at the rear panel pictures of the Outlaw 990, then then rear panel of the Sherwood-Newcastle P-965 and noted a major similarity? The biggest differences are the balanced, DVI and USB connections on the 990, all in areas that are unpopulated on the P-965. The rest of the rear panel looks basically the same on both processors.

8. Cliff Watson

Cliff Watson Agent

Dan,

The Newcastle P-965 has the USB connector in the same location as the 990.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I thought the two companies were related, if not the same company.

10. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

I thought it was a company called Atlantic (or something similar to that) that shared the
    same basic designs and hardware with Outlaw.

Sherwood-Newcastle is a separate company, as far as I know.

11. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

The Outlaw and the Sherwood are built on the same "platform". The Outlaw adds DVI switching, balanced outs, and new software. For the price, it sure looks like a killer unit. I'd be interested to see what the first purchasers think of it.

12. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Tony Genovese: Where does Atlantic come into this? I clearly recall them being the company
    that was closely tied to Outlaw and offered preamps/processors that were basically identical
    in all but appearance to the Outlaw equipment. Or is Atlantic a brand that Sherwood-Newcastle makes?

I think the name of the company was Atlantic Technology or something like that. They had
    some models of stereo equipment that were the same as Outlaw's stuff, but the Atlantic gear
    looked much better. [​IMG]

13. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Seem to me it's a company called "Eastech" that builds to spec for other companies.

14. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

I'm not talking about the company that builds the equipment to Outlaw's specs, I'm talking only
    about the companies that set the specs and design preferences and then sell them, such as Outlaw.

15. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The two other companies that had the "clone" processors of the Outlaw 950 was: Atlantic Technology, and Sherbourn. All three were built by Eastech.

16. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Stunt Coordinator

Atlantic Technology is a speaker manufacturer, and Peter Tribeman is a senior figure there (president and CEO, according to their website). Peter is also a higher-up in Outlaw, although the two companies are otherwise unrelated as far as I know. Atlantic Technology did venture into electronics with a pre/pro based on the Model 950's chassis and a power amp that is not related to Outlaw's amps at all as far as I know.

Eastech has built some equipment for Outlaw in the past (including the Model 950), but Outlaw has worked with some other manufacturers as well. I don't think the 990 is being manufactured by Eastech - instead, they are apparently using the same manufacturer that Sherwood is, hence the use of the same chassis for both the P-965 and the 990.

17. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Maybe, but IIRC the Sherwood rep (Jeff Hipp?) who posts here and on AVS claimed that the P-965 and the various receivers based on the same platform were all designed in-house by Sherwood. If that is the case, then Outlaw must have reached a licensing agreement with Sherwood.

It also makes me wonder if there will be a new Sherwood processor out real soon. The P-965 has an MSRP of $1499 and sells for $1200-$1300. Unless they update it fairly soon, or drop the price to under $1K, the 990 is going to kill it. Sherwood won't even be able to claim added value, because the Outlaw has more feaures.

18. Jake S

Jake S Stunt Coordinator

The wait 'n see approach is probably the safe bet, and I would wait for "non-beta-tester" reviews as well.

19. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Interesting. So Sherwood designed and built this preamp/processor and Outlaw
    licensed the right to use it and then added some more stuff to it?

If I were Sherwood, I would come out with a new model preamp/processor with all
    the features of the Outlaw and add in the HDMI connections on top of that. [​IMG]

20. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Any word on the quality of bass management and speaker-distance settings?