Outlaw Volleyball - a new low (7 screenshots)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Adam_Garris, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I hate em and use them sparingly ever since I got a leaf blower. :wink:

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Yes, the temptation to dismiss criticism of this type of crude objectification of women in a video game which is then marketed towards children (M rating or not) as simply being knee-jerk "Hyperbole" is this sort of cultural & moral disintegration's best strength.

I'm sure it will sell quite well.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Is Dead or Alive VB the only one widely available on consoles?

EDIT: Never mind, I just looked it up and see that it isn't.

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Let me toss in with another 2c, it's a free country after all [​IMG]

Sex sells, no point in arguing that. Violence sells too, just turn on your TV. But neither sells very long or well without substance to back it up. There have been so many s..t movies and games that tried to coast on sex/violence alone, I can't name any right now because they were so crappy that you just forget about them 5 mins after trying it. OK... uh, the Army of Darkness game for the DC, tons of violence, no gameplay, where is it now?

So if you haven't tried it, DOAX and Outlaw games sell because they are fun to play and people enjoy spending time with these games. Any sex/violence is just extra to the good gameplay, it is not neccesary.

I think Myst is still the best selling game ever for the PC, I defy anyone to find gretuitous sex or violence in that one. It was just a great game that made you want to play it. Outlaw Golf with a group of good friends is the same for me, we come together for the fun and gameplay -- we leave the sex or violence baggage at the door.

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

7. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

8. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

9. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

10. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

It's pretty clear to me. The chick on the right tried to spike the other girl's ass instead of the ball. And spike she did![​IMG]

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

"Forced views"? I suggest you look at the topic title again before you get up on your high horse, my friend.

I love how when you offer a definite viewpoint or criticism on almost any topic (especially in a place that is specifically intended to promote shared opinions) someone who has a different opinion always takes it as if they were being told and/or forced how to think, it's called sharing an opinion not giving an order. Relax, it is indeed a free country.

12. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Anyone remember the recent commercials for DOA Volleyball? At the end of it the guys were passing around pillows. I wonder how a commercial would be for this game. The guys would probably be passing around lotion and napkins- or maybe cigarettes?[​IMG]

13. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Guys, guys, I think we're all mature enough here to put our differences aside and enjoy some polygonal anal fisting.

Thumbs away![​IMG]

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    lol, this reminds me of what ADAM COROLLA said on Loveline a couple nights ago. He was complaining how they can show blood gore and violence on primetime TV (he referred to in SURVIVOR, the people had to rip off chunks of beef and spit them out, and by thje end their faces were covered in blood and gristle), but in the same show, when the women went to bathe, they 'digitized' censored even the slightest hint of areola/nipple.

15. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Kevin,

Regarding "forced views": couldn't agree more. Take my statement in the same context.

Martin.

16. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

17. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

[​IMG] I'm not sure I understand what you mean, you weren't sighting any negative criticism or statement on my part as being Hyperbole...just my use of words? Which words? "Base"? "Ignorant"? Do you really think that my use of those particular words in the context of the game shots shown are really all that exaggerated?

How about the word "Irony"...I found rather amusing that some people in this (not really all that serious mind you) thread could argue that this sort of game is just for fun and the "Girls gone Wild" stereotypes in the game aren't really that offending in the spirit of the game...but then when someone jokes that this sort of game is created & marketed towards sexually frustrated "Computer Geeks" several people became quite offended and threw up the word "Stereotype" rather quickly...[​IMG]...now you've got to admit that's pretty hilariously ironic.[​IMG]

I have some of the older PSX Dead or Alive games and after awhile the novelty "boobie jiggle" did indeed wear off and yes I agree that more than this sort of game being the "decline of the western world" it really is just childish...but it is getting increasingly worse as to just how far they will go to gain the attention of adolescents for the almighty dollar & that does bother me.

18. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    I don't get it.......

19. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer