What's new

Outlaw Volleyball - a new low (7 screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, the temptation to dismiss criticism of this type of crude objectification of women in a video game which is then marketed towards children (M rating or not) as simply being knee-jerk "Hyperbole" is this sort of cultural & moral disintegration's best strength.

I'm sure it will sell quite well.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure it will sell quite well.
Suprisingly enough, out of the "shock games" mentioned in this thread (Outlaw Golf, BMX XXX & DOAVX), only the Dead or Alive game is the one with a huge amount of sales. BMX XXX in particular flopped /big style/.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Is Dead or Alive VB the only one widely available on consoles?

EDIT: Never mind, I just looked it up and see that it isn't.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Let me toss in with another 2c, it's a free country after all ;)

Sex sells, no point in arguing that. Violence sells too, just turn on your TV. But neither sells very long or well without substance to back it up. There have been so many s..t movies and games that tried to coast on sex/violence alone, I can't name any right now because they were so crappy that you just forget about them 5 mins after trying it. OK... uh, the Army of Darkness game for the DC, tons of violence, no gameplay, where is it now?

So if you haven't tried it, DOAX and Outlaw games sell because they are fun to play and people enjoy spending time with these games. Any sex/violence is just extra to the good gameplay, it is not neccesary.

I think Myst is still the best selling game ever for the PC, I defy anyone to find gretuitous sex or violence in that one. It was just a great game that made you want to play it. Outlaw Golf with a group of good friends is the same for me, we come together for the fun and gameplay -- we leave the sex or violence baggage at the door.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I think Myst is still the best selling game ever for the PC
Actually, it got passed by "The Sims" awhile back.

I just don't understand why those that don't care for the subject matter feel a need to denigrate those who like it or are indifferent about it.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I just don't understand why those that don't care for the subject matter feel a need to denigrate those who like it or are indifferent about it.
The key to being a successful morally righteous person is to force your views on others. Always has been, always will be.

Martin.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Sex sells, no point in arguing that. Violence sells too, just turn on your TV. But neither sells very long or well without substance to back it up
Bingo.

I still wonder about that pic with the chick shoving her hand up the other ones ass. I'm REALLY interested to see how that fits into the gameplay. :laugh:

"Oops, now where did that ball go? Oh, let me check here".

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
It's pretty clear to me. The chick on the right tried to spike the other girl's ass instead of the ball. And spike she did!:D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
"Forced views"? I suggest you look at the topic title again before you get up on your high horse, my friend.

I love how when you offer a definite viewpoint or criticism on almost any topic (especially in a place that is specifically intended to promote shared opinions) someone who has a different opinion always takes it as if they were being told and/or forced how to think, it's called sharing an opinion not giving an order. Relax, it is indeed a free country.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Anyone remember the recent commercials for DOA Volleyball? At the end of it the guys were passing around pillows. I wonder how a commercial would be for this game. The guys would probably be passing around lotion and napkins- or maybe cigarettes?:laugh:

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Guys, guys, I think we're all mature enough here to put our differences aside and enjoy some polygonal anal fisting.

Thumbs away!:emoji_thumbsup:

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
lol, this reminds me of what ADAM COROLLA said on Loveline a couple nights ago. He was complaining how they can show blood gore and violence on primetime TV (he referred to in SURVIVOR, the people had to rip off chunks of beef and spit them out, and by thje end their faces were covered in blood and gristle), but in the same show, when the women went to bathe, they 'digitized' censored even the slightest hint of areola/nipple.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the temptation to dismiss criticism of this type of crude objectification of women in a video game which is then marketed towards children (M rating or not) as simply being knee-jerk "Hyperbole" is this sort of cultural & moral disintegration's best strength
It wasn't being dismissed as hyperbole. It was your statement "the most ignorant and base that we can be", which is pretty much the defintion of the word.

-Dave

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
:confused: I'm not sure I understand what you mean, you weren't sighting any negative criticism or statement on my part as being Hyperbole...just my use of words? Which words? "Base"? "Ignorant"? Do you really think that my use of those particular words in the context of the game shots shown are really all that exaggerated?

How about the word "Irony"...I found rather amusing that some people in this (not really all that serious mind you) thread could argue that this sort of game is just for fun and the "Girls gone Wild" stereotypes in the game aren't really that offending in the spirit of the game...but then when someone jokes that this sort of game is created & marketed towards sexually frustrated "Computer Geeks" several people became quite offended and threw up the word "Stereotype" rather quickly...:laugh:...now you've got to admit that's pretty hilariously ironic.:)

I have some of the older PSX Dead or Alive games and after awhile the novelty "boobie jiggle" did indeed wear off and yes I agree that more than this sort of game being the "decline of the western world" it really is just childish...but it is getting increasingly worse as to just how far they will go to gain the attention of adolescents for the almighty dollar & that does bother me.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Girls gone Wild" stereotypes in the game aren't really that offending in the spirit of the game...but then when someone jokes that this sort of game is created & marketed towards sexually frustrated "Computer Geeks" several people became quite offended and threw up the word "Stereotype" rather quickly......now you've got to admit that's pretty hilariously ironic.
Being one of those who you considered to be offended by the "stereotype" comment I'll go ahead and say that I find nothing hilarious or ironic about your comments nor do I feel that stereotypes in general are particularly funny and if Scott L's comments were a joke, well I missed the smiley face in his post.

I could care less about the sexual content of this game or any other. I enjoyed Outlaw Golf because it was a good golf game and had a very good sense of humor, everything else was filler. This game will be treated much the same way. I'll check it out and if its a good game, then great! Any sexual content it may add is just what I mentioned...filler. This game is not meant to be played or bought by children and I have yet to see this mysterious marketing campaign where its been said that it was .

Every game on the market has a rating (which you yourself happened to notice). Those ratings are not there to add to the packaging or make the games logo pop off the box. They are there to help the consumer discern what content is appropriate for themselves and if they have them thier children. Quite frankly it is a parents responsibility to teach thier children proper "virtues" as you so put it. To explain the difference between what is right and what is wrong if and when a child happens to be exposed to this kind of subject matter (which is far more likely to happen outside of a videogame).

Parents cannot be there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week but they sure as hell can take the time to monitor what their children play on occasion. I personally know of no 10 year old with a job who can run right out and buy up his/her copy of Outlaw Volleyball. The money just doesn't appear from thin air.

I'd like to decide what I would enjoy playing for myself as opposed to censorship or supposedly "moral" people telling me whats right or wrong for my home, my DVD player or my console systems.

If you feel the game is inappropriate then that is your opinion. Don't buy the game!

Frankly your first comment was nothing more than a potshot at the people who may actually be looking into purchasing the game. It offered no difference of opinion, no explanation and nothing that could be considered substantial. If you had offered an opinion (as you did in your last post) as opposed to the ridiculous moral rhetoric you first posted you may not have gotten the responses which you felt were so undeserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks