What's new

Outlaw 950: review and discussions. (1 Viewer)

Bill Polley

Second Unit
Pat, If you are listening to a DVD that only has DD, then you cannot go to DTS because the 950 senses that it is not present on the disc? (guessing). Also, CR surround is a 6 channel surround. If you have the 950 set up as 5.1, then the CR surround formats should also be shut down by the 950.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ah, so when I turned off the Surround Rear speakers, that took away the other 6.1 soundfields. Okay, thanks. I thought I did something that took those soundfields away, now I know I did. :D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
They presume to have the Sherbourn price correct at any rate... the final paragraph reads:
There is one thing that puzzles us however. Why is the Atlantic Technology P-2000 Processor ($1699) almost double the price of the Sherbourn and Outlaw clone processors? The only differences we could see between the three processors was that the Atlantic Technology processor appeared to have a most sturdy and handsomely crafted chassis of the three with most detailed documentation and product specifications. I suppose the only way we will ever know if the added cost of the Atlantic Technology P-2000 is justified is to have all three hardware manufactures send us a sample for a “Clone Processor Face-Off” review. Perhaps we will contact them shortly with our proposal.
Very interesting...

randy bessinger

Stunt Coordinator
I just posted on their forum (audioholics) and apparently the list is 1,500 but there thinking a street price closer to 900. Seems like a pretty low street price, but they are going to revise the article.

Richard-Re

Auditioning
I just received my 950/755 combo last week. While I was on the waiting list, I purchased a used B&K AVR305. I really like the B&K and was considering removing my name from the 950 waiting list. I decided to demo the 950/755 anyway and did some limited comparisons. I am not an audiophile, nor do I get into all of the techno talk - I just know what sounds good to my ears. (I do realize that I'm really not comparing apples to apples). As of now, I only have two front speakers (ACI Sapphire III-LE's). I will be building a new home soon and will complete the 5-channel setup. My tastes are music first then HT.

As to the comparison, in two channel stereo, the 950/755 sounded slightly better than the B&K, a little crisper and better soundstage. It did not blow the B&K away. There is a slight hiss when an input is off. The remotes for the two units look nearly identical; however, the B&K remote seems to be laid out better and makes more sense. I know that the 950 has more video features than the B&K, but the B&K has the capabilities to have its software upgraded.

I am now at a dilemma about which to keep. To be honest, I am leaning toward the 950/755 because of the sound being a little better to my ears. The one factor that I am curious about is longevity of Outlaw as a company. I know that B&K has been around for a long time. I feel certain that they will be around in the future should I ever need service. Can we say the same thing about Outlaw? How long will they be around. I don't want to have a problem 2-5 years from now, and not have anyone available to help me. How long has Outlaw been around? What are your opinions of their longevity? $2200 is a lot of money to me! Thoughts? Thanks in advance to your responses.

Is it true the 950 has no multi channel ins, so SACD or DVD-Audio is out of the question with this preamp, in analog anyway?

Thanks

Pat,

Thank You for the response. I was reading throught the HT 2003 guide in the preamp section. I found the multi channel box in the listing lineups to be blank. An oversight I'm sure. I should have thought to go look at the pic of the back of the box.

Cheers,

RT

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I bought a Toshiba SD6200 based on one of those buying guides. I was pretty bummed when it arrived without DVDA. :)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Just wanted to say a big thanks to Outlaw myself. I chose Outlaw after some careful consideration of myriad options on the market. I have had the hiss issue myself, and followed it intensely. While I do not feel I can speak for what real ears are hearing in some setups. I do feel that Outlaw as compared to numerous models and systems is under an abnormally strict scrutiny where hiss is concerned. There have been too many posting that after reading posts on the subject went ‘looking’ for it in other systems and found it.

In my setup the hiss was more pronounced the first weeks, but has been reduced so remarkably after tweaking the system over time, that it is less than other units I have heard who’s make/model I have never seen mentioned in conjunction with the subject of ‘hiss’.

I was extremely pleased with the performance of the 950 in HT which was my initial priority when I began to setup this system. I was not happy with it the first week and it took some major tweaking to get it to how I thought it should sound after the long buildup. I never dreamt that the adept handling capabilities of the Outlaw would lead me back to reaquire a long neglected passion for 2-channel and the subtleties and nuances of simply enjoying ‘music’ Vs the HT pit we families who live by DVD slowly fall into.

I just picked up a pair of Vienna Beethoven’s after yearning to pair the Outlaw with some speakers with more range than my current set of satellites.

I have to admit to some trepidation when coming home with the Beethoven’s, which I choose over
Klipsch, Martin Login Odyssey's, Sonus Faber Grand Piano’s, Boston A, and Infinity for their smoothness and refinement. A sense of “odd match” crossed my mind as it did when I first heard of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s engagement to Maria Shriver. Would the ‘Outlaw’ step on the toes of the Duchess?

I am more impressed with this Outlaw 950/770 than before, I could spend a lot more on the pre-pro side for much less performance and handling. Since I tended to class the Outlaw as the brute force and muscle behind the successful new HT setup here at home, Like Arnold’s tango in a tux in "True Lies", the Outlaw proved it has grace to match its power.
I appreciate Outlaw for it’s unrestricted no-views barred but generally well-mannered and helpful forum and for its product line. I expected the Vienna’s to be of a nice –well rounded quality for their price, I did not expect so much out of the Outlaw. Many thanks for reviving the fun, the versatility and the seduction of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks