What's new

Outer Limits (Original Series) - Why Rereleased? (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Hollywood,

LOL. Yes, especially in ... the archives. ;)

I didn't get to list the OCLC records from work, so I'm going to do it from home. We'll see how that goes, as dial-up is always a challenge. :)

I repeated the search as provided by the archivist, but expanded it to include music scores (for me, this means written music, not recordings). I retrieved thirty-six entries. Of these, several were scores and videorecordings. Some were the GNP Crescendo release; others were compilations that included one or two sound recording tracks from the releases we've written about on this Board thus far. When I get to work on Monday, I will attempt a more thorough search and post that info. here. :)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Thanks for the effort, Ockeghem!

By the way, do you remember that George Winston released a solo piano cd/album called Summer (Wyndham Hill 1991) where track 5 is a piece called "The Garden," which is a Frontiere compostion for The Outer Limits from "The Guests" episode? I just remembered it from my cd collection and was listening to it. It's only about 3 minutes, but it's lovely, and it has that haunting quality from the episode's theme.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Hollywood,

Okay, this would take some work for me to clean up, but here is the truncated list of the Dominic Frontiere entries. All of the GMDs (general material designation) are [sound recording]. The SMDs (specific material designation) are given at the conclusion of the entry. If anything catches your eye, let me know, and I will follow-up on it.

BTW, take a peek at the final entry (no. 241). This looks like it might be the G. Winston entry you mention above. :)

A few words on the entries. DLC means Library of Congress cataloging; dut = Dutch agency; and dates such as 1960-1969 mean that the pressing, copyright, and/or date of distribution is either in question or not able to be ascertained from the item being cataloged. When this occurs, a 'safe' range is put in (e.g., 1960-1969); the cataloger in this case is often assuming that the distribution date must fall between the two supplied.

201. Best of the west [sound recording]. Rykodisc, 1998. (compact disc)

202. Best of the West [sound recording] : MGM soundtracks presents great we Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios, 1998. (sound cassette)

203. Best of the West [sound recording] : MGM soundtracks presents great we Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios, 1998. (compact disc)

204. Color of night : original motion picture soundtrack / original score b 1994 [dut] (compact disc)

205. Crime Stoppers: TV's Greatest P.I. Themes / [sound recording] : Rhino / Viacom, 2000. (compact disc)

206. Crimestoppers [sound recording] : TV's greatest P.I. themes. Rhino, 2000. (compact disc)

207. Great western themes [sound recording]. United Artists Records, 1973. (2LP)

208. Greatest TV western themes [sound recording]. Orchard Lane Music, 1996. (compact disc)

209. Jazz in Hollywood [sound recording]. Liberty, 1955. (LP)

210. More hit TV themes [sound recording]. Capitol, 1960-1969. DLC (LP)

211. Popi [sound recording] : original motion picture score / [written by T MCA Records, 1986. DLC (LP)

212. Scream themes [sound recording] Triggerfish Entertainment, 2005. (compact disc)

213. TVLand crimestoppers [sound recording] : tv's greatest p.i. themes. Rhino Entertainment, Viacom En 2000. (compact disc)

214. Abilene Christian University. The halftime sounds of the Big Purple [sound recording] / [Abilene Chr Century Records, 1970. (LP)

215. Christy, Lauren. Lauren Christy [sound recording]. Mercury, 1994. (compact disc)

216. Dom Frontiere Sextet. Dom Frontiere Sextet [sound recording]. Liberty, 1955. (LP)

217. Frontiere, Dominic Brannigan (OST) City Hall Records 2005. (compact disc)

218. Frontiere, Dominic. Billie [sound recording] original motion picture score. United Artists 1965. (LP)

219. Frontiere, Dominic. Billie [sound recording] : Original motion picture score / Music by Do United Artists Records, 1965. (LP)

220. Frontiere, Dominic. Fabulous!! [sound recording] / Dom Frontiere Octet. Liberty, 1956. (LP)

221. Frontiere, Dominic. Hammersmith is out [sound recording] : original soundtrack recording / Capitol, 1972. DLC (LP)

222. Frontiere, Dominic. Hang 'em high [sound recording] : original motion picture score / comp United Artists, 1968. (LP)

223. Frontiere, Dominic. Hang 'em high [sound recording] : original motion picture score / [com MCA Records, 1986. DLC (LP)

224. Frontiere, Dominic. Hang 'em high [sound recording] : original motion picture score / [com MCA Records, 1986. (sound cassette)

225. Frontiere, Dominic. Hang 'em high/Guns for San Sebastian [sound recording] : original moti Sony Music Special Products, 1991. (compact disc)

226. Frontiere, Dominic. Love eyes [sound recording] : the moods of romance / Dominic Frontiere Columbia, 1960. DLC (LP)

227. Frontiere, Dominic. Love eyes [sound recording] : the moods of romance / Dominic Frontiere Columbia, 1960. DLC (LP)

228. Frontiere, Dominic. Music from the film "On any Sunday" [sound recording] / composed and c Bell, 1971. (LP)

229. Frontiere, Dominic. Original motion picture soundtrack, The Aviator [sound recording] / Do Varese Sarabande, 1985. (LP)

230. Frontiere, Dominic. The outer limits [sound recording] / Dominic Frontiere. GNP Crescendo Records, 1993. DLC (compact disc)

231. Frontiere, Dominic. The outer limits [sound recording] : original television soundtrack / GNP Crescendo Records, 1993, c1963. (compact disc)

232. Frontiere, Dominic. Pagan festival [sound recording] : an exotic love ritual for orchestra Columbia, 1959. DLC (LP)

233. Frontiere, Dominic. Pagan festival [sound recording] : an exotic love ritual for orchestra Columbia, 1960-1969. DLC (LP)

234. Frontiere, Dominic. Popi [sound recording] : original motion picture score / composed and United Artists, 1969. (LP)

235. Frontiere, Dominic. The stunt man [sound recording] / an original soundtrack recording / M 20th Century-Fox Record Corp ; 1980. (LP)

236. Frontiere, Dominic. The stunt man [sound recording] : an original soundtrack recording / m 20th Century Fox Records, 1980. DLC (LP)

237. Frontiere, Dominic. The stunt man [sound recording] : original Soundtrack recording / musi 20th Century-Fox Records, 1977. (LP)

238. Frontiere, Dominic. Washington: behind closed doors [sound recording] A Paramont televisio ABC Records, 1977. (LP)

239. Norman Luboff Choir. Songs of the sea [sound recording] / The Norman Luboff Choir. Columbia, 1957. DLC (LP)

240. Norman Luboff Choir. Songs of the sea [sound recording] / The Norman Luboff Choir. Columbia, 1957. (LP)

241. Winston, George. Complete solo piano recordings 1972-1996 [sound recording] / George Wi Windham Hill Records ; Dancing 1996, c1974. (7 compact discs) The seven discs' music numbers are: Windham Hill Records: 01934 17031-2 (on individual discs: 08022 34002-2; WD-1012; WD-1019; WD-1025; 01934 11107-2; 01934 11157-2; 01934 11184-2r).

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Impressive. So the only TOL recordings on the list are the GNP release from 1993? Does that mean that the archivist report of 19 libraries holding TOL recordings from Frontiere is most probably that recording, as mentioned before? I guess I thought there might be some secret stash of original source recordings that hadn't been tapped. That original "The Guests" score never ended up on any commercial releases.

Another great Frontiere commercial release was the orchestration he did for Dan Fogelberg's "Netherlands" album, one of my favorites. I also have "The Stunt Man" soundtrack, a favorite film.

Thanks again for posting that list, which anyone with interest in more Frontiere recordings can use. I will study it more carefully.

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf
I finally managed to locate my old photocopies of the David Schow series of articles on THE OUTER LIMITS from the 1980s TWILIGHT ZONE magazine, and I managed to scan the Harry Lubin score of his second season OUTER LIMITS end title theme.

I can post a jpeg of the one-page scan here, if desired, for those who'd like to see it; but now I'm a little nervous about possibly violating copyright law, if I do so. Would posting a single page of Lubin sheet music here on a public message board be considered within "fair use," or no?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Tanaleaf,

I'd like to see it, for certain. But to be safe, I think you'd better check with one of the moderators of HTF before doing so. :)

Charles Thaxton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Charles Thaxton
Someone asked about THE GUESTS over at Filmscore Monthly board and it was mentioned that the "Garden" love theme was a stock cue from STONEY BURKE series and not specifically recorded for OUTER LIMITS.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Ah, context. That's kind of disconcerting to hear, though, because it's so hauntingly romantic and sad. I will always associate it with the unrequited love between the drifter and the girl who can never leave the garden to go with him (lest she age quickly and die).

If I find out it was originally composed for a moment when Stoney Burke missed roping a calf in a rodeo, I would be haunted ... and sad. :frowning:

Charles Thaxton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Charles Thaxton
apparently the OL tracked a lot of cues from STONEY BURKE (I cannot recall that series much at all...just vague memories) Frontiere did that show also. Maybe he still has some of those tapes and La La Land will get to them but since the show is sorta obscure by today's standards I doubt it. La La Land has mentioned to me that they're looking into THE INVADERS (if they can find his cues)

michael_ks

Screenwriter

A reply I received from LLL (after I lauded their great achievement with the OL 3-CD set) stated that indeed they are looking into releasing Frontiere's STONEY BURKE music. Certainly the show is obscure--maybe if the CD were to be labeled: "As heard in 'The Outer Limits'"...? I'd like to see this combined with "The Invaders" myself--that's probably the best way to market it.

It is interesting how indelibly the STONEY BURKE cues in my mind are tied to TOL that in listening to the 3-CD set, it seems as though there are some obvious omissions of keynote cues. "The Guests" has already been mentioned. But how about, for example, the cue that is heard in "O.B.I.T." shortly after Senator Orville and Mr. Lomax get testy over the reasons for a Govt. probe into the Cyprus Hills murder? An ominous sounding cue is heard on low strings when Lomax awkwardly ambles over to Mrs. Scott that becomes an eerie mysterioso when we he says to her, "Not now, Barbara. They haven't called you in to testify". Anyone know what cue I'm talking about? I'm sure it appears in other episodes (The "Bellero Shield" comes to mind) and it seems very quintessentially "Outer Limits" in origin--even if it's not. One of my very favorites.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Michael,

O.B.I.T. is another wonderful episode directed by Gerd Oswald. It's a wonderfully dark episode, replete with the camera angles (and extreme close-ups) one expects from Oswald. It almost has a "Perry Mason"-ish feel to it in parts. My only quibble with that one is that the movements of the 'bear' and Lomax during the final sequence (where we find out who is behind the teletracer) is very much out of synch; I believe that that could have been done better, but I don't know what kind of time constraints they were under during the filming of the episode.

And yes, I know the cue you're speaking of here. I can describe it musically, but that wouldn't be too much help to you. I always thought that that cue was written for The Outer Limits. But that's one of the neat things about this Board--learning new things. :emoji_thumbsup:

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Certainly one of my top five episodes, owing to the contributions of Oswald, Hall and Meyer Dolinksy. Another reason I find this outing so exceptional is due to the performances of Jeff Corey and Harry Townes. You're right, though, the lack of synchronization between the Helosian on OBIT viewer and Lomax's hand gestures could have been done better. The movements are also a bit out of phase in the choking of the OBIT operator at the show's beginning. But hey, what a great alien speech at the tag of the episode! My favorite of all of them.

I just remembered that the cue I mentioned earlier also appears to wonderful effect in "It Crawled Out of the Woodwork" when the NORCO guard hands Scott Marlowe a matchbook on which he has written a certain portentous note...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Michael,

Tonight, I am going to watch It Crawled Out of the Woodwork again. The effect used for the 'dust ball' is IMO wonderfully done--and in 1963 no less. :emoji_thumbsup:

I love O.B.I.T. quite a lot. Did you like Peter Breck in his role? It's a tad tough for me not to think of him on a horse, but I try.... ;)

YouTube - Outer Limits109--greatquality- (TOS) O.B.I.T. Part 1

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
LOL. That scene is memorable for me because I tend often to think in terms of mirror images, especially with regard to sound (as in music playing in retrograde, inversion, or both). So when I see this segment from O.B.I.T., I want to see a perfect mirror (for the images that are mirrored), and I do not. But it's a small price to pay for such an excellent episode. :emoji_thumbsup:

michael_ks

Screenwriter

I have mixed feelings with the casting of Breck. Certainly he gives a very solid performance but he comes across as one of the more conventional characters that we're used to seeing in S2. Alot has to do with the way his role was written.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Last night I watched "The Man With the Power", episode #8 of the original production order and the first one to feature stock music (drawing from "Architects of Fear", "Galaxy Being", The Borderland" and "The Human Factor"). The "Architects" cue that plays a number of times is the one we hear when learning that Allan Leighton has been selected from the lottery and we see Culp's face for the first time. "The Big Finish" from "Borderland" is used to chilling effect as well, first in an experiment involving a warping metal rod and later in the episode's climax.

I enjoyed this episode more than I have on previous viewings, paying more attention this time to Connie Hall's beautiful photograpy. Donald Pleasance gives a very earnest performance and is completely convincing as the dejected instructor who desparately wants to make his mark but is hampered by a college Dean and his henpecking wife. The short speech he makes says it all about his dilemma: "You want me to stay a worm, don't you? Unimportant, unproductive, classroom worm... Some women take their husband by the hands and say: 'Together we'll climb to the stars'. Not you... Never you..."

"Man With the Power" is certainly above average for video quality on the MGM set. How I wish all the episodes looked as good as this one.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Michael,

A chilling episode for certain. When the 'power' arrives outside near the utility workers, it is quite effective. But for me it is even more frightening later in the bedroom scene (I think it recoils once at that point, yes?) and then again when it attacks (and kills) Edward Platt--very well done.

The Man With the Power is one of those episodes I own on VHS tape as well as DVD. And the box for it is quite large (not standard size). I have three of them that way: The Galaxy Being, The Man With the Power, and A Hundred Days Of the Dragon. The other twenty-five or so I own on VHS are of the more standard size.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

I noticed that too, about the retrograde motion of the cloud, thinking that for a fleeting moment Harold was having a subconcious pleasant thought--until the flood of negative emotions come through for good. Probably it was just an optical/SFX mistake?

I thought that "The Galaxy Being" was the only VHS released episode to come in that vinyl oversized flip-open case. (Pale green color with a small B&W shot of Maxwell communicating with the GB as I recall). I had that at one point along with a handful of others in the standard cardboad slip-over cases. This earlier GB issue is slightly longer, too, according to David Schow, but I can't confirm this. Hopefully it times out the same as what's on the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks