Out with the old, in with the new.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by LeeH, Jul 15, 2003.

1. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys for the help. I looked at the H/k receivers and the one I am looking at is a little out of my price range. I think it will be worth it if I save. The problem is that the receiver would be in a very enclosed area. I have built a fan into the back of my cabinet, but I'm not sure it will keep it cool. I like to listen to my music loud and for a long period of time, that tends to make my current Kenwood extremely hot. Has anyone done similar tests with the H/K's with all channels driven and if so what was the results? I also have another question. Doesn't 7.1 sound seem the ruin the imagery? It seems to me what the original intent was it to act like a center rear, but what I have seen is the two SB channels too spread out to make it seem like a center channel. I'm glad I heard about the Sony products, has anyone had the same experiences?

2. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I never bought H/K. I worked in a store that sold them. and I purchased alot of sony gear because I thought it was great gear, only to be proven that pretty well all of it is junk. SONY tv's are not bad but waaaayyyyy overpriced. but it's a sony so I wont buy it. All my sony purchases came around a year from each other, in the span of that year and some what, I purchased numerous peices of sony equipment, and like I said, it all failed.

To the topic again......

look at onkyo, denon, pioneer, and really look at the new kenwood vr 6070....very nice unit. also outlaw's 6 channel reciver is pretty nice from what I have heard....

3. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

Steve, I guess you don't like sony. Lee, to get a better sounding receiver with 3 assignable optical inputs and 7.1 might bump your budget up. You'll probably have to look into a discontinued model that has been drastically reduced in price. I think you'll have to compromise sound quality or some features for your $450 price point.

4. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

I found what I was looking for. It's a H/K AVR-320 and I found it for under $350 reconditioned. It's the same as the 325 but you need a separate amp to run the surround backs and it is 55 watts per channel instead of 50. It has everything I need and want except more than 75 watts per channel (but I know it will be more powerful than most rated at higher levels), a THX rating (which isn't a big deal sense I don't have all THX rated equipment), and composite to s video up conversion (I'll just get a cheap external one). Thanks you guys were a big help and I'm glad i posted before i bought.

5. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

THX's a joke anymore anyways now that they're owned by Creative Lab's.

6. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I haven't given up on THX just yet but I still love the post processing.

Daniel Smith

7. NikoVarsan

NikoVarsan Auditioning

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I have all Sony poducts. My tv,cd,tape,speakers, and even my new 995. I have been a sony fan since my first stereo 15 years ago. Before I got my 995, I had a 925, which I bought new, and is
    powering the HT in my bedroom. I've never had a problem with any of my sony products, but I guess I'm just lucky. Forthe price you want, I'd get the sony... but then I guess I'm biased by my good fortune . Good luck with whatever you decide.

rammstien