What's new

Our Top 10's of 2001 -- Time To Throw Down (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
These are the best ten flicks I saw this year.

#1 "A Beautiful Mind"

#2 "The Lord of the Rings"

#3 "Shrek"

#4 "Memento"

#5 "A.I. Artificial Intelligence"

#6 "Monster's Ball"

#7 "Blow"

#8 "Moulin Rouge"

#9 "Monster's, Inc."

#10 "Ocean's Eleven"

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
Top 10 of 2001
lotr_small.jpg

1. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
memento_small.jpg

2. Memento
ai_small.jpg

3. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
abeautifulmind_small.jpg

4. A Beautiful Mind
oceans11_small.jpg

5. Ocean's 11
harrypotter_small.jpg

6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
trainingday_small.jpg

7. Training Day
moulinrouge_small.jpg

8. Moulin Rouge
themajestic_small.jpg

9. The Majestic
vanillasky_small.jpg

10. Vanilla Sky

Honorable Mentions
The Others, Monsters Inc., K-Pax, Hannibal
Worst Movies of 2001
1. Pearl Harbor
2. Tomb Raider
3. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
4. Ghosts of Mars
5. Swordfish

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I decided to update this...

BEST OF 2001 - THEATRICAL RELEASES:

The Fellowship of the Ring

Moulin Rouge

Shrek

A.I.

Apocolaypse Now Redux

Cats & Dogs

Superman: The Movie (Restored Version)

GOOD TO NOT-SO-BAD MOVIES OF 2001:

The Fast And the Furious

Ocean's Eleven

Hannibal

Planet of the Apes (borderline Not-so-Bad/Worst)

WORST OF 2001 - THEATRICAL RELEASES:

American Pie 2

The Mummy Returns

Jeepers Creepers

Along Came A Spider

Driven

Thirteen Ghosts

Joe Somebody

I'd also like to mention the following DVD releases that really were important to the film in terms of quality and presentation:

Citizen Kane

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Doctor Zhivago

Walt Disney Treasures series

Lawrence of Arabia

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Top 10 for the year
1. Memento - Barely crossing past LotR, Memento stands as one of the most beautifully crafted works of art in recent memory. Seamlessly integrating a techinique that would be little more than a gimmick in most movies, the viewer is kept just as unsteady as Leonard is through the course of his life. The performances from the three primary actors is flawless and tonally perfect for the material. Even as the script heads for passages that feel composed, the words have resonance and work well for the scene. Most wonderful of all is that the movie has a remarkable depth and complexity that remains compelling after the 2nd or 22nd viewing.
2. The Fellowship of the Ring - An undertaking nearly as large as the quest it depicts, Peter Jackson's take on the richly detailed tale of Middle Earth is all the more impressive due to what it manages to accomplish. It brings epic scale of a literary work while being both accessible to neophytes and faithful to the initiated. Using an impressive toolset of physical, optical, computer generated, and practical effects, the vibrant world of Middle Earth is given the spectactular showing it deserves. I was particularly impressed with the pacing of the film, which kept intact the wonderful view of the Shire that serves so well as a contrast to the dark times ahead. Also impressive is that a battle between a non-cgi foe can eclipse in intensity the confrontation with the most impressive and fearsome CGI creature I've ever seen. I must say that although I hold all of Jackson's earlier work in high regard, I didn't expect such a sure and accomplished result as I saw this month. Certainly the same genre defining film as Star Wars or Jaws for their respective genre's. I anxiously wait to see what lies in store next Christmas. Bravo to New Line for developing all three films at once. Fellowship should reward them handsomely for their faith.
3. The Royal Tenenbaums - While Rushmore (my favorite film of the last 3 decades) perfectly captured many aspects of love and friendship, The Royal Tenebaums casts a prismatic view on the subject of family. Framed on the concept of a father who destroys his supernaturally promising offspring, each player brings a different subject to the table. I look forward to more viewings of this film, if for no other reason than to bask in the beautiful and unique set design and montages of it's characters.
4. The Man Who Wasn't There - The Coen's have managed to produce films so richly diverse while still retaining a familiar style. This years release is no different, although it bears more in common with their first film than any of the more humorous recent films. Beautifully shot in black and white, and a level of lighting and composition that makes me think people might start framing some of the still frames, I can't see how this film couldn't be recognized for cinematography. I also love how the Coen's have managed to make so many of their regulars feel fresh and original, as though they are just clay actors that can be molded into an infinite number of designs. In a small role, Tony Shaloub somehow karmically balances himself for 13 Ghosts by giving a solid and sure performance in a role that probably reads as over the top.
5. Black Hawk Down - From a technical standpoint, this film may just be flawless. Ridley Scott so perfectly captures the battle that you always know where you are, where you are going (even when the soldiers don't), and the battle scenes are clearly and accurately portrayed. The effects of the protracted and exhausting battle are presented clearly by all of the actors, who were universally all well played. The only thing that makes this a tough recommendation is that it is gruesome and that the individual soldiers don't get much of a chance to differentiate themselves. This is not so much a fault in the filmmaking, but a design choice by the filmmakers. Instead of singling out a handful of soldiers (as had been done in Saving Private Ryan), they gave us all of them in the initial 30 minute pre-combat sequence. A few are given additional development throughout, and there are standouts, but it does make it harder to identify with their fates. It was only on second viewing that I realized it was Blackburn who fell from the chopper. All told, this one is a success. That Jerry Bruckheimer was involved is practically unnoticeable, which is a complement to him and Ridley for not providing us another Pearl Harbor. An altogether well made film.
6. Ocean's 11 - A movie that exists almost as much for the sake of watching actors with potential play for the sake of playing. Luckily, Soderbergh also keeps it fun for the audience as well. I would say we're the lucky ones to have gotten all that talent into one place and to have the result be the source of so much fun.
7. Training Day - Far beyond my expectations, Denzel gives the performance that he hasn't equalled since Glory. Watching him manipulate the complex criminal underworld as well as his green partner is a joy. The ending may have been a desperate grasp for the larger than life character ending hall of fame, but it doesn't diminish the solid film that Training Day is.
8. Heist - I was initially disappointed early on in Heist because I found the dialogue to be lacking. It was only when the hammer dropped and it was clear that the characters were acting for the benefit of a dupe that I began to really appreciate the fine work put into Heist. The 'job' itself is compelling and the level of twists and turns is a labyrinth than stands up well to future viewings.
9. Monsters Inc. - Every bit the timeless classic of the Toy Story films, Monsters Inc. also reaches it's goal of wonderful family viewing without resorting to lazy pop culture references that felt tired in Shrek on second viewing. Pixar again builds a library with a level of craftsmanship and entertaining as those of the top names in Hollywood.
10.Hannibal - Taking a book that wasn't as much reveared by the public as reviled, Ridley Scott had his work cut out for him, but pulled through in fine style. The scenes in Europe are as beautiful as the artwork in the museum it displays. The violence is quick and effective and does well to show us Hannibal out in the wild. This is, after all, the first movie dedicated to him. I think this may rise in the eyes of those disappointed after another viewing.
Honorable Mention
Bandits
The Others
A.I.
Jeepers Creepers
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Devil's Backbone
Spy Game
The Score
Series 7
Legally Blonde
Honorable Mention for Efforts Beyond All Expectations:
The Fast and the Furious
Bottom 5 (I normally avoid the really bad films, but I could get five out)
1. Driven - Or Drivel as I like to call it. The cinematic opposite to The Fast and the Furious. How you can F up a sport movie is beyond me, but they did it and then some. Off the top of my head, I can't decide if the special effects, Burt Reynolds overacting, Stallone as Yoda, the street chase, or the Speed Racer dilemma that interrupts a race to save someone from cartoon flames is the worst part of the this film. I might just make it easy on myself by saying that this make Dungeons and Dragons look like a faithful and reverential movie for the fans. I count my lucky stars that I didn't see the films that many others place higher than this, because I don't think I could stand it.
2. 3000 Miles to Graceland - And to think that I walked into this hoping to have a good time. I though we'd be treated with a inventive heist/action film that would make the most of it's two stars. Instead, we've got a mother who abandons her kid with the first drifter who rolls into town. We've got an Elvis scheme that they don't even try to make work. The efficiently kill off the only characters who are remotely interesting (and that's stretching it). Alternately uninspired and boring action sequences (particularly laughable is the ballet demise of Ice-T). Terrible movie making.
3. Ghosts of Mars - How the mighty have fallen. All the more disappointing given the excellent DVD release of Big Trouble in Little China this year. It's like JC specifically decided to take every lackluster part of his last four films and tried to do worse. We have villains that are less menacing than Vampires and Village of the Damned. Terrible dialogue. Discarded concepts of the future society. Little gore. Terrible pacing that drags on and on. Low budget production quality that rivals some student films (did you look at the guns they use?).
4. 13 Ghosts - Or as I like to call it - 4 Bad Ghosts and 9 who like to glare at people. Although this does have an impressive set, as well as one genuinely good scene of suspense (the bathroom with the Princess), the rest of the film ignores the intriguing ghosts they designed in favor of the lackluster ones that they focus on. The ending is particularly unsatisfying with bad special effects and no good resolutions.
5. The One - The complete opposite of Kiss of the Dragon. Where that was a fine display of Jet Li's talents and featured a great foil, this is a waste of Jet Li and he's the worst enemy he's ever faced. Featuring completely inappropriate musical choices, impressive abandonment of a valuable concept, and a villain as scary as Gary Coleman, The One will have to settle for number 5.
Notable Didn't Sees:
Amelie
Moulin Rouge
Ghost World
Mullholland Drive
Vanilla Sky
**Edit 12/27 to add a bottom 5*
*Edit 1/9/02 to add Black Hawk Down despite not knowing where to rank it.*
*Edit 1/22/02 to review BHD and reorder. LotR may just jump to number one if I reedit this again

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Only have time to post the top-10 list as it stands now...will expand on the weekend:

1-Moulin Rouge

2-Memento

3-Bully

4-A.I.

5-Donnie Darko

6-Crazy/Beautiful

7-O

8-Baby Boy

9-Ali

10-Black Hawk Down

Bottom 10:

10-Baise Moi

9-Scary Movie 2

8-The Score

7-The Brothers

6-Kingdom Come

5-Summer Catch

4-The Smokers

3-Driven

2-Bride of the Wind

1-Dancing at the Blue Iguana

Edit: New No. 1!. Just watched Moulin Rouge and it easily bested every film I've been able to see this year. Wow.

Bruce

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I don't like to distinguish between movies like 'Memento' and 'Monsters Inc.' so I'm not big in ranking them with one being the absolute best. But the films that I thought were the better of the year in no particular order:
Memento - Inventive structure actually derived from character. How else could you convey that character's view of the world better than telling it backwards?
Shrek - I love a little deconstruction, and digging at Disney doesn't hurt either.
Moulin Rouge - One of the most creative visions I've seen in awhile, completely immersing you in its fantasy and decadence.
A.I. - Like most works by Kubrick, Spielberg's film demands multiple viewings to find more depth.
Monsters Inc. - Just good old fashioned Pixar fun.
Harry Potter - I'm a huge fan of the books, and although this film plays like a highlights reel rather than a true film, I still ate it up.
Ocean's 11 - Sure it's vaccuous and unassuming. Sure there's little suspense. But it's a fun ride, and I didn't expect anything more from it.
The Royal Tennenbaums Funny movie, but still not a 5 star film.
I think it's important to point out that NONE of these films could comapre to other years. None of them got higher than 4 stars on my scale of 5.
And the more I thought about it, I've demoted A Beautiful Mind off my list. Too much not accomplished, i.e. Connelly's character had no history to explain why she stuck with him, how did his child react to having alooney father, etc. Ultimately tried to be too sentimental with a subject that isn't sentimental, betraying the truth. Not bad though, just slightly above average.
And, of course, things I haven't seen I hope will impress me: In the Bedroom, Blackhawk Down, Gosford Park and Brotherhood of the Wolf.
And yes, I did see Mulholland Drive and still for the life of me can't understand this fascination with David Lynch who always seems to masquerade his films with surrealism to make up for their lack of greater meaning, depth and theme. Not one of the people I've talked to who like it can explain the purpose of that ending. It had me for awhile, but the ending just got weird for the sake of being weird. But since the first half worked, it won't end up on my worst list:
Hannibal - Sick, deparaved movie which forgot what Made Silence so wonderful. It wasn't the violence, it was the relationship between Hannibal and Clarice and their unique bond. The same problems I had with the book weren't fixed here.
Jurassic Park III - It still amazes me how they screwed up such a simple thing. This movie had a silly plot and piss poor characters which could have been forgivable if it wasn't for the bland action scenes and replacing T-Rex with that clownish looking Spinosaurus. Before I saw it I thought how could they make a bad Jurassic Park movie? Now I know.
3000 Miles to Graceland - Thank God I suffered through this thing on DVD and not a theater.
Exit Wounds - This might be unfair to add to my list since I actually turned it off, but that first 10 minutes was so ridiculous I can't resist beating up on it.
Ghosts of Mars - It seems as if John Carpenter is regressing in life, doesn't it?
Someone Like You - I can't think of a movie that women should be more embarrassed of. The main character was just a whiny little twit (and I usually love Ashley Judd) whose life goes to pieces without a man. Blech!
The Fast and the Furious - Admittedly I have no fascination with cars, but this thing was a train wreck anyway. I wasn't even impressed with the stunt work.
And I too will refrain from beating up on obvious dreck like Freddy Got Fingered, Animal, Driven et al.

Geoff Sharp

Auditioning
These Are Always Subject To Change But Right Now They Are.

1) Memento

2) Ali

3) Lost And Delirious

4) Moulin Rouge

5) A.I.

6) Vanilla Sky

7) Training Day

8) Oceans 11

9) Crazy/Beautiful

10) Snatch

Still Need To See:

Black Hawk Down

Monsters Ball

A Beautiful Mind

The Man Who Wasn't There

The Shipping News

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
OK, for starters I'll give you my worst of the year. I have a fairly well constructed best of list, but it will have to wait until I write up the column.
Worst Films of 2001
10. The Wash and How High
9. Tomcats
8. Say It Isn't So
7. Riding in Cars with Boys
6. Pootie Tang
5. Valentine and The Forsaken
4. See Spot Run
3. 15 Minutes
2. Bubble Boy
1. Freddy Got Fingered
My comments on these films can be found in the column I have posted on dvdmon.com. (See my signature for the direct link to it.)
I'll go ahead and reveal my choice for the best film of 2001: Mulholland Drive
You'll have to wait for the rest :)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Mark, that's what I like to hear! :) Yet another person that agrees that the brilliant MULHOLLAND DRIVE is the best film of the year.
By the way, I didn't post my worst list yet. I will get around to it some time tomorrow.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Mark,
Your worst 10 was an excellent read, but you picked a lot of easy ones! :)
I had to go with a lot of the less-than-noticeable failures for some of my bottom 10 -- Bride of the Wind, Druids, Art of Woo, Fat Girl -- to go along with the usuals of Freddy, Scary Movie 2, Poil Habra, etc.
Damn, I'm looking forward to your best 10 article (I'll be the first in line to read it). And yes, Mulholland Drive is the best film of the year. :)
Jay

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'm going to do this on the basis of films I saw in the year 2001 for a first time, which excludes a couple films that might count for others (YI YI, INNOCENCE, THE WIDOW OF ST. PIERRE, THE KING IS ALIVE) and includes one that others might exclude (IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE). Also deliberately excluded reissues, which for practical purposes (at least, mine) included APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX.

1. MULHOLLAND DRIVE

2. THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE

3. JUMP TOMORROW

4. CURE

5. ROYAL TENENBAUMS

6. WHEN THE RAIN LIFTS

7. IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE

8. AMELIE

9. DONNIE DARKO

10. GHOST WORLD

11-20:

AMORES PERROS

THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE

FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

IN THE BEDROOM

INTIMACY

MEMENTO

MONSTERS, INC.

PEPPERMINT CANDY

PRINCESS AND THE WARRIOR

WITH A FRIEND LIKE HARRY

1/19: removed OCEAN'S ELEVEN, THE DEEP END and SEXY BEAST; added DEVIL'S BACKBONE, INTIMACY, and IN THE BEDROOM

Stuff I missed that might have made it: THE OTHERS, FROM HELL, DJOMEH, WERCKMEISTER HARMONIES, LAST RESORT, DIVIDED WE FALL, THE CIRCLE, OUR SONG, O, SMELL OF CAMPHOR FRAGRANCE OF JASMINE, OUR LADY OF THE ASSASSINS, FAITHLESS, TOGETHER, THE GLEANERS AND I, L.I.E., VA SAVOIR, TAPE, THE MAN WHO CRIED, FOCUS, LOST AND DELIRIOUS, THE TASTE OF OTHERS, ENEMY AT THE GATES, AUDITION, HAPPY ACCIDENTS, FAT GIRL, LA CIENAGA

Stuff I might still be able to catch that might make it: ALI, THE AMERICAN ASTRONAUT, VENGO, GOSFORD PARK, THE BUSINESS OF STRANGERS, BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF, KANDAHAR, TRAINING DAY

Stuff I'm disinclined to see: A BEAUTIFUL MIND, THE SHIPPING NEWS, BLACK HAWK DOWN

Stuff that hasn't played PDX yet (and, who knows, may never): MONSTER'S BALL, LANTANA, IRIS, NO MAN'S LAND, SESSION 9, PINERO

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone compared their lists from 2000 and 2001? There's an oddity I've noticed in mine...here's what I'm referring to:

1. Requiem For A Dream
2. Almost Famous
3. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
1. Memento
2. Amelie
3. Lord Of The Rings

Instead of blurting out what I've observed, I'll see if anyone else sees the same - that way, I'll save myself some embarrassment. :D

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Jason,

I didn't hate Pearl Harbor, and none of the others you mentioned have played here. (Fat Girl is the only one I imagine has any chance of coming to town.)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
John,
Mind Games.
Feel Good.
Fantasy.
:)
Though my top 3's were a little different than yours:
2001: Mulholland Drive, The Pledge, Amelie
2000: Requiem For A Dream, Dancer In The Dark, Amores Perros
Mark,
Yes, you did hate Poil Habra. :)
The Art of Woo is 100% Canadian and most likely will NEVER be released outside of this country. Which is good for this film, but not for a better Vancouver film of the same fate, Last Wedding.
I thought you had seen Bride of the Wind (or perhaps you didn't think of it as lowly as I did. Druids is on DVD if you have a strong stomach. :)
Jay

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
That is a nifty little pattern in your favorites John. :) Mine are quite different though. Have a look:
Best of 2000:
1. REQUIEM FOR A DREAM
2. TRAFFIC
3. SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE
Best of 2001:
1. MULHOLLAND DRIVE
2. VANILLA SKY
3. MEMENTO
Well, I do see a pattern in my top three of 2001 lol. All three of them are mind benders.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I will try to list 10 movies that are eligible for the '02 Academy Awards, so I suspect the list will always be slightly longer than 10.

1. Memento

2. Divided We Fall (ineligible)

3. In The Bedroom

4. Hedwig and the Angry Inch

5. The Man Who Wasn't There

6. Moulin Rouge

7. Spirited Away (ineligible)

6. The Road Home (ineligible)

9. Monster's Ball

10. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

11. Monsters, Inc.

12. Shrek

13. Gosford Park

14. Black Hawk Down

Favorite scores:

1. A.I.: Artificial Intelligence - John Williams

2. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore

3. Atlantis: the Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

4. Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer

5. Harry Potter and the Sorcer's Stone - John Williams

6. Shrek - Harry Gregson Williams and John Powell

7. The Mummy Returns - Alan Silvestri

8. The Mexican - Alan Silvestri

9. Hannibal - Hans Zimmer

10. Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within - Elliot Goldenthal

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I should've know if anyone were to get it, it'd be Mr. Whyte. ;)
But I thought it odd that the lists played out that way. Anyone else find themselves doing this?
As far as this 2001 list, I suspect there will be some movement as I'm (hopefully) viewing The Royal Tenenbaums this friday along with A Beautiful Mind. I'm probably going to have to concede most of the others to DVD rental as there's only one decent indie theater around and it doesn't get in enough movies. :frowning:

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
2001 Top Ten
Link Removed
1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Link Removed
2. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Link Removed
3. Amélie (Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain)
Link Removed
4. The Son's Room (La Stanza del Figlio)
Link Removed
5. Monsters Inc.
Link Removed
6. Moulin Rouge
Link Removed
7. Shrek
Link Removed
8. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Link Removed
9. Monster's Ball
Link Removed
10. Training Day
2001 Bottom 5
1. Kandahar (Safar e Ghandehar)
2. Princesa
3. Lumumba
4. Songcatcher
5. Planet of the Apes

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I am getting old or because I had health problems last year, but I didn't make it to the theater as much as I wanted to last year, so a top 10 is impossible. Of the films I saw last year, I'll probably only buy the top 6 (I've already bought #'s 1, 3, & 4).
1) Memento was my favorite film of 2001. Thanks to DVD I have come to love the film more and more with repeat viewings (it ranks up there with Fight Club and The Big Lebowski as my most watched DVDs.
2) The Royal Tannenbaums is a very close second and I can't wait to get the disk. I liked it a lot more than Rushmore thanks to Gene Hackman's great performance, and the little glimpse of Gwyneth Paltrow's breast (I am such a perve).
3) Ghost World I didn't see this until it came out on DVD. It was an impulse buy. Great film. It should have got Oscar Noms, but I suspect it will get plenty of Independent Spirit Awards.
4) Amelie Believe the hype. Perhaps better than the directors two previous, non Alien sequels, City of Lost Children and Delicatesen.
5) I also enjoyed the Coen Brothers The Man Who Wasn't There but not as much as their previous two movies (though I liked it better than Fargo. Great photography (even if the black and white is fake).
6) Apocalypse Now Redux rounds out my top 5. I suspect after I catch up seeing the other films of 2001(see below) it will drop off the Top 10. Apocalypse Now is one of my all time favorite films. One of these days I hope Coppala does a real special edition, restoring the actual film in all it's glory with the options of inserting the extra scenes up to the viewer. The French Plantation scene was dissapointing (the music was awful) but I liked the extra scenes with the Bunnies and Kilgore chasing the boat after they stole his surf board. I was also dissapointed that they didn't restore the bombing of the camp, or the scenes where Dennis Hopper is killed by Scott Glenn, who is later killed by Martin Sheen.
OTHER FILMS I SAW:
In The Mood For Love Very beautifuly shot film and one that I will want to rent and watch again, but because of being in a bad mood that day, I'm afraid my opinion of it was down.
A. I. For the most part I liked it, except when Spielberg was being Spielberg. It's the Kubrick moments (the Sin City scenes) that I liked the most. This is another film that I'll have to rent and watch again.
American Pie II probably the only decent "gross-out" comedy last year because it wasn't very gross and there was more of Allyson Hannigan this time around.
Ocean's Eleven Good for what it was. Better in many ways to the original, but there could have been a little more doffing of the cap to the original. I would have probably tried to use the original music in a creative way.
Legally Blonde Very funny disposable comedy. The music was highly annoying, as was Reese Witherspoon's total lack of nudity.
The Mexican Good idea but should have been darker. Julia Roberts should have been replaced by Jennifer Aniston.
15 Minutes Saw this on video. Entertaining despite it's very predictable ending. Should have starred Clint Eastwood and Charlie Sheen and been a sequel to The Rookie.
Blow another one I saw on video, which I'm glad because, though I generally liked the film, I found the Interview with the actual guy (the one Johnnie Depp) played, to be more interesting.
Kiss of the Dragon I thought this was fun and will tide me over until Luc Besson either makes a sequel to The Fifth Element or The Professional.
Vanilla Sky Disappointing but I don't know what I expected. My main complaint is that it's about 35 minutes too long (and I like the long version of Almost Famous. Great soundtrack!
Mulholland Drive As I left the movie theater shaking my head, I reminded myself that of David Lynch's previous work, I have only liked Blue Velvet, Wild At Heart, and Twin Peaks and in each of those cases I was really REALLY high. Great Lesbian scenes though!
Pearl Harbor Total fucking crap! The action scenes went by too fast and seemed chaotic (I know, War is like that). I actually thought the romatic triangle was the best part of the film. But the films total lack of blood and gore disturbed me, and Alec Baldwin's made me laugh out loud in the theater. Thankfully, I wasn't the only one laughing. Tora, Tora, Tora is So much better. For that matter, so is 1941.
Lord of the Rings Sometimes I wonder if I was the only guy in high school that didn't read any Tolkien. Great special effects. A very pretty film. I look forward to seeing the next two installments, but I still like the first 2 Star Wars films better.
FILMS I DIDN"T SEE, BUT SUSPECT THEY"LL FIND THEIR WAY INTO MY TOP 10
Sexy Beast, With A Friend Like Harry, Waking Life, The Dish, Novocaine, Amores Perros, Series 7, Heist, From Hell
FILMS I DIDN"T SEE, BUT SUSPECT THEY"LL NOT MAKE MY TOP 10
Harry Potter, Shrek, Ali, Moulin Rouge, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Training Day, Bandits,The Score, Planet of the Apes

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks