What's new

Our Top 10 Lists of 2005 - "Time to throw down!" (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Not merely to counteract Brook's demotion ( ;) just saw it for the first time last night), I've added "The Squid and the Whale" to my favorite ten list, keeping "The Best of Youth" there, but knocking "Munich" out.

It's funny how much my list has been juggled, and I still haven't seen the vast majority of films released last year (even easy-to-see stuff like "The New World", "Brokeback Mountain", "Broken Flowers", "Walk the Line" and frankly lots more!). "Tropical Malady" stays on top, but "Cache" has moved up to about a tie (and I haven't yet seen it again - it's just stayed in my consciousness more than any other). "A History of Violence" has dropped in my estimation a bit after seeing it again, but still one of my ten favorites of the year. And "Yes" came in strong at no. 3, and I'm already dying to see it again only a week after my first viewing. I'm very glad I followed Rosenbaum's strong review of that film, even though the critical drubbing it got elsewhere delayed my viewing of it for so long.

And I can't believe "Batman Begins" is by an enormous margin the favorite film of the forum. I'd agree it's better than every Batman film that came before, but still an extremely conventional drama without much emotional or thematic resonance. The savior/vigilante dichotomy is not exactly fresh, but I guess this film's up there with "Dirty Harry" on that count, and some people consider "Dirty Harry" a masterpiece, too. I sorta get it - more with "Harry" than "Batman" - but I still found it fairly forgettable and hardly a film worthy of being regarded so much more highly than every other film released last year.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member

As someone who enjoyed the film, I'll trade your bewilderment over Batman Returns to your highly rated King Kong using some of the same reasons you gave above. I mean, I can understand going gaga over the special effects like a 7-year old in a candy store but rating it far higher than The Best Of Youth? C'mon. ;)

~Edwin

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I agree completely Rich. And King Kong is superior to Batman Begins in every conceivable way. It's not even close.:D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
You must be looking at someone else's list! I don't think I've ever given "Kong" more than an honorable mention, whereas "The Best of Youth" resides in my top ten.

But I'll take "Kong" over "Batman", on the basis that I love the first act and the last act, but I'll concede that the middle act goes on far too long and mostly for no other purpose than extraneous dino-killing. I did find this portion of the film to be weakest, like all those movies I hate that are nothing more than the celluloid equivalent of an amusement park thrill ride. Kong's hardly perfect, but I certainly liked it enough to give it a mention!

EDIT: actually I may have had "Kong" in the top ten early on. I saw that one in the theaters, whereas most of the films on my list I've caught up with lately on DVD (including "The Best of Youth").

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I think Edwin may have meant that Kong is also in the top five for HTF which also boggles my mind. A good film, most definitely, but hardly competitive, in my mind, with the entertaining and the arthouse fare from last year.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I think Edwin's referring to an earlier iteration of my list, but his memory is apparently better than mine! At the time we started keeping track, I hadn't seen a good many films that currently are among my ten favorites.

And I suspect there'll be many more changes to come - I have high hopes for "The New World" and "L'Enfant", and though "Brokeback" looks a bit too Hollywood conventional (save the gay angle, I guess), I've been assured by many that I'll think differently once I see it.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member

That's right, Rich. I was referring to an earlier version of your list. When I posted my thoughts on The Best Of Youth about a week or so ago, you had commented on it as well and said that it was in your Top 10 for the year. At the time you had it at #9 and Kong was in your Top 5, to my surprise. I was going to comment on it then but didn't.

However, you had since come to your senses by updating your list recently. ;)

~Edwin

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
added my list finally.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

A late top 10 addition was The Constant Gardner. Great film. :)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Adding justin, Tim and elizabeth, Fred Bang and Steve Felix and reordering my list (bumped Mrs. Henderson out, pushed KKBB up to number three, pushed Batman up, Family Stone down.) here is the new htf top 25 (i've not made any other adjustments to lists unless an update post was made to this thread.

Title Total # of Votes # of #1 votes # of omissions Batman Begins 253.5 38 4 24 Munich 216.5 27 10 35 Star Wars 148.5 21 8 41 King Kong 124 19 1 43 Brokeback Mountain 122.5 19 2 43 New World 113.5 14 5 48 Crash 99 15 1 47 Cinderella Man 97 14 2 48 Sin City 89 15 2 47 History of Violence 88 16 2 46 Constant Gardener 85 20 0 42 Harry Potter 80 16 0 46 Syriana 73 13 1 49 Serenity 63 12 0 50 Capote 62 11 2 51 Grizzly Man 59 11 2 51 Good Night, and Good Luck 56 13 0 49 Chronicles of Narnia 52 11 0 51 Walk the Line 51 13 0 49 Old Boy 50.5 7 1 55 Downfall 41 8 1 54 Pride and Prejudice 40 6 0 56 War of the Worlds 38 11 0 51 40 Year Old Virgin 37 9 0 53 Broken Flowers 37 6 0 56

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
it's all in a spreadsheet, I press one button to resort after entering in your top ten

still waiting for lists from
Edwin
Thomas C
Tino
Tim C
Matt Stone
Dana Filhart
Rob Willey
Chris Richard

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Another edit. Watched The Weather Man again for the 2nd time in about 2 weeks and just loved it even more. Some here really find it too depressing, and it is at times. I found it pretty real and a bit uplifting and hopeful. After viewing #2 it moved from the honorable mentions to my top 10 for 2005. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Lucky for you I wasn't around HTF as much when you posted this bunch of crap.

;)

Adam, I think you had been using my 2005 film list for this, where I did have an updated top 10. But I went ahead and fixed the top 10 I had here which was badly outdated. The New World has been my top film since the DVD came out.

schmidtt

Agent
Real Name
Todd
Best of 2005

1. Grizzly Man

2. Junebug

3. The Squid and the Whale

4. Broken Flowers

5. Caché

6. Hustle & Flow

7. 40 Year Old Virgin

8. 2046

9. Brokeback Mountain

10. Thumbsucker

Honorable Mentions (in order): The Bridesmaid, Sin City, Shopgirl, Capote, Gabrielle, The Talent Given Us, Me and You and Everyone We Know, Downfall, Syriana, No Direction Home

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... Better late than never I guess. The 10 best 2005 releases I have seen to date, loosely sorted:

Pride and Prejudice -- a magical experience
Crash -- structure
Sin City -- shockingly good (normally not a fan of style over substance)
Serenity -- fan of the show, terrific send off
Match point -- tight
The New World -- poetry
Downfall -- subject matter
Broken Flowers -- Murray
War of the Worlds -- frustratingly uneven. the good is jaw-dropping stuff.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - the Hungarian Horntail

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks