What's new

Blu-ray Review Our Man Flint Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Except that's a very kind and thoughtful presentation of her. If they had wanted to be arch, they could have made her voice much sharper, louder, and more quavery as it was in real life. I took a film theory class once, and she was invited down to be a guest speaker. She was a dynamic woman and very opinionated (hated Michael Winner and refused to review any more of his work, for example), and like we're seeing here, had the class split into those who worshipped at her feet and those who found her intelligent but off-putting.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I'm thrilled that OUR MAN FLINT has been released as it is a favorite of mine. Thanks Twilight Time for releasing it. I am a little bit disappointed with the disc in terms of picture quality, however. I'm not trying to pick-nits here as overall the blu-ray does look decent, but it appears to me like the image is a bit on the soft side and the colors are a little too desaturated, as well as leaning a little too brownish/yellow. Almost like what you would get from a fading negative, though the negative for OUR MAN FLINT shouldn't be faded, provided that's what was used for the transfer. I wonder if an older IP or dupe negative was used? Or perhaps this was a choice made by the colorist at the post house? The Fox film archive made a new 35mm print of the film a handful of years ago, probably when they were preparing the initial DVD for release. They ran the print at the American Cinematheque here in Los Angeles and it was a stunner. It appeared as though it may have been printed on Kodak's Premiere stock, as not only were the color's extremely vibrant, but contrast levels were rich, with dark inky blacks. That made the colors pop even more. Regardless, the look of that print doesn't appear to have been replicated in the blu-ray. Again, the new disc is of good quality, it just looks a little "stale." I'd give it a 3 out of 5. IMHO :)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I couldn't care how great a writer Pauline Kael was.She had no eye and no taste ,that's more important The movie is great but from the review I read ,I will stick with the dvd set

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
David Norman said:
Not sure of the why not a box and why not a price break, but I am 99% sure of the February release of "In Like Flint" and pretty sure of the preorder date of Jan 18th. TT Release Schedule for the next 3 months including a nice 3 item February and the much anticipated March releases that may set new land speed records for immediate sell-outs. April 9th THE SONG OF BERNADETTE (1943) BLU-RAY - April 9th MAJOR DUNDEE (1965) BLU-RAY (2-disc set) - April 9th March 12 THE FURY (1978) BLU-RAY - March 12th CHRISTINE (1983) BLU-RAY - March 12th February 12th: Pony Soldier Blu-ray (1952) - Feb 12th In Like Flint Blu-ray (1967) - Feb 12th Nicholas And Alexandra Blu-ray (1971) - Feb 12th
Ouch, I'm going to be several hundred dollars lighter in the months to come. I'm in for The Song of Bernadette, Major Dundee, The Fury, Christine, and Nicolas and Alexandra

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks