What's new

Other Vintage TV Discussion Forums (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Just curious to know if there are any other sites out there, similar to this one, but catering to a more mature clientele. Just from reading which shows get discussed here (and which ones get a big huh?) I get the feeling that except for a very few posters, most folks here don't know Richard Chamberlain from Wilt Chamberlain. Just like to find other like-minded folks who don't think something from 1998 is a long time ago. Anyone know of any?

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Sitcoms Online has a lot of forums devoted to classic (and modern)sitcoms and even a few devoted to non-sitcoms. Naturally, the main people on those threads are those who enjoyed the shows growing up or in reruns. The people who post sometimes mention related sites, so it would be a good place to start.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Michael, I belong to a Yahoo Group titled Good_Old_TV that has 121 members. It sort of runs hot and cold in terms of postings . . . sometimes there's quite a bit of activity and sometimes there's very little. I really think you need a group of at least 500+ people to keep things interesting. But this group does focus on vintage TV, 50s & 60s, and might occasionally reach the 70s. You can also do a search at Yahoo Groups for other groups that focus on classic/vintage TV.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Michael, I don't know of a specific site like that you've mentioned. I'm not too crazy over sitcoms online because it's more of a forum to discuss TV Land reruns than anything else. It seems the forums for the classic stuff that's not on TV are dead with the exception of an occasional post promoting bootlegs.

There are several really good message boards out there dedicated to specific themes or characters where the topic may extends to classic TV although the majority of the conversation tends to revolve around movies.

Because he's a fellow HTFer I'll mention Laurence Garvey's www.inthebalcony.com as a starting point.

Steve

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Well, I discovered some vintage tv news here that I hadn't read anywhere else--the upcoming release of "26 men" on 11/29. I flagged this on tvshowsondvd.com some time ago, yet I really no nothing about this series, actually.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
"26 Men" is an OK half hour Western series that I believe ran for two seasons and starred Tris Coffin and Kelo Henderson. I have the series' first episode on a dollar DVD that I found at Target earlier this year and I'm looking forward to Alpha Video's upcoming releases of this series. As far as I know, the Alpha releases will be the first time that multiple episodes from "26 Men" will be released on commercially available DVDs. Incidentally, if you haven't visited their site, Alpha has numerous releases of public domain episodes from television series that will likely never get official releases. Needless to say, audio/visual quality is all over the map, but there are some fairly difficult to find shows in their catalog. Their site is:

http://www.oldies.com

Just look under the section "Classic TV series."

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Thanks for the information, Bob. By the way, liked your Amazon review for "Cheyenne". Nice sampler set, hopefully we'll see a season by season release soon.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Glad you enjoyed the "Cheyenne" review . . . I'd really love to see it and "Maverick" get a broader release. But my fear on these samplers is that they were often hard to find at "brick & mortar" outlets. If Warner Home Video is using these as a way to gauge interest in full season sets, many people who might be interested in them may not even know that they are available. For example, my local Wal-Mart carried "Maverick" but didn't even carry "Cheyenne" and when "Maverick" sold out of maybe 15-20 copies, it was not replenished. So, unless you are aware of these releases and shop online, there's a reasonably good chance that a whole portion of the buying public who might be interested in these series don't even know about the samplers. I'm just hoping that sales were strong enough to merit some additional episodes being released on something more substantial than a 3-episode, single disc release. If not, then maybe Warner should consider licensing to an independent releasing company like Image or the like.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Funny quote :D I'm with you on the older TV shows but, though I might be wrong, it seems to me that there's a fairly good mix on this forum (older TV series fans and the "post-1998" crowd). Just my observations on it...

As for me, my "signature" says it all about what I'm wanting on DVD. I only liked a few '90's series and I'm "clueless" about what's been on network TV since around '96 or so. No interest in TV series for me since then but then I'm probably in the middle of the "curve" for the 'Boomer crowd as far as TV/DVD interests.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks