What's new

Other specials besides Paul Lynde Halloween (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear VideoPhiles:

While I haven't picked it up yet, this year saw the release of the Paul Lynde Halloween special from the mid-seventies. I guess it was a rather memorable release due to the first televised appearance of Kiss and such stuff.

But I was wondering if there were other important tv specials besides that one, that deserved to be put out on DVD? Besides the famous/infamous Star Wars Holiday one.

JamesSmith

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
"The Carpenters" did 5 very highly rated specials,including 2 Christmas specials (Richard & Karen's Christmas Album is still the highest selling pop christmas album of all time!).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd love "Battle Of the Network Stars" and those circus shows they used to make them do. :P

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
This week, the Captain and Tennile as well as Barry Manilow specials are being released.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Trio ran the Battle of the Network Stars a few years back. They hold up especially since ABC had Lynda Carter and Farrah Fawcett. You'd think TVLand would run such weirdness. But I guess that gets in the way of their marathons.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I wanna see "Night of 100 Stars," which actually featured 200 stars. It's not a talent-fest; it's more like a pageant of celebrities grinning and waving, but so many of those stars have passed on now, and it's got a lot of nostalgia factor. I would also like to see Carol Burnett in "Once Upon a Mattress," the color version from the late 60s or early 70s (not the remake she just did). And if there's any more Paul Lynde specials, bring 'em on...the Halloween one was funneee...!

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

For a fun spoof on these kinds of shows, check out SCTV Volume 4 which features the hilarious "Night of the Prime Time Stars" in which Merlin Olsen (John Candy) slugs Jamie Farr (Martin Short) while Gavin Mcloud, Linda Lavin and Lorne Green sing and dance. :laugh:

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
There is quite a few tv specials that I would love to see released on DVD:

Cher...A Special with Dolly Parton, Rod Stewart and the Tubes (1978)

Cher and other Fantasies with Lucille Ball, Andy Kaufman, Shelley Winters & Elliot Gould (1979)

Olivia Newton John : Hollywood Nights (1980) - with Andy Gibb, Cliff Richard,Elton John,Karen Carpenter,Toni Tennile,Tina Turner,Peaches,Gene Kelly

A Special Olivia Newton John (1976) with Rona Barrett,Tom Bosley, Lynda Carter, Ron Howard, Lee Majors, Elliot Gould

Olivia (1978) with Abba & Andy Gibb

Halloween With The Addams Family (1977) in COLOR John Astin, Carolyn Jones, Jackie Coogan, Ted Cassidy, Lisa Loring, Ken weatherwax

ADDAMS FAMILY FUNHOUSE (1978) CBS Special
Jack Riley as Gomez, Liz Torres as Morticia, Stubby Kaye as Uncle Fester, Pat McCormick as Lurch and Butch Patrick as Pugsley -does anyone even remember this show airing? I would love to see it.

FLIP WILSON SPECIAL (1975) special guest CHER

WESTINGHOUSE DESILU PLAYHOUSE: DESILU REVUE CBS Dec.25, 1959 with Lucy,Desi,Viv & Bill, William Demarest,Hedda Hopper,Ann Southern,Danny Thomas

DINNER WITH THE PRESIDENT CBS Nov.16,1953 60 min with Lucy,Desi,Viv & Bill

GOOD YEARS with Lucy, Henry Fonda CBS Jan 12,1962

Lynda Carter Special (1980)
Lynda Carter Encore (1980)
Lynda Carter Celebration (1981)
Lynda Carter Street Life (1982)
Lynda Carter Body & Soul (1984)

Music For Unicef Concert: A Gift Of Song (1979) - Abba ,Olivia, Andy Gibb, Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Rod Stewart, John Denver, Elton John, Rita Coolidge

Lindsay Wagner;The Other Side Of Me (1976) guests Vincent Price, Paul Anka,
Vito Scotti, Michael Brandon

Lucy Gets Lucky (1975) Dean Martin

Lucy Calls The President (1977) Vivian Vance, Lillian Carter, Mary Jane Croft, Ed McMahon, Mary Wickes

Cheryl Ladd Special (1979)

Cheryl Ladd Special Souvenirs (1980)

Cheryl Ladd Scenes From A Special (1982)

Cheryl Ladd Facsinated (1982)

I would love to see all these specials released onto DVD.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Halloween With The Addams Family (1977)

I saw this reaired by TBS in the late '80s. It paled in comparison to the TV series.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I would also love to see more of these specials released. The Paul Lynde one, whilst amazingly cheesy, made me nostalgic for the days when television could just be fun. I miss variety shows in general. Heck, I even enjoyed Pink Lady and Jeff!

moogaboo

Agent
Real Name
John H.
"Out to Lunch" -- a 1974 ABC prime-time special starring the Sesame Street Muppets, the cast of the Electric Company, Barbara Eden, Elliot Gould and Carol Burnett. All music by Joe Raposo, featuring an Emmy nominated performance by Rita Moreno! I don't think it's ever been re-run, but it sounds like a hoot.

Out to Lunch

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
That sounds like it would make a great extra on a future Muppet Show, Sesame Street Old School, or Electric Company set.

Was that the one where Bert and Ernie did a takeoff of 60 Minutes called 60 Seconds?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There's a whole book of TV specials up to the mid 1990s, published by McFarland Publishing and simply called "Television Specials"

There's a lot of stuff already out there. All or most of the Frank Sinatra TV specials of the 60s and 70s are out, as is "Movin' With Nancy," which has been out for awhile.

The Petula Clark NBC special from 1968 with Harry Belafonte is available from Varese Sarabande.

There was also a John Ritter special from 1980 that was released.

If they can get the music rights thing ironed out, bring on:

—The Edsel Show
—The three Julie Andrews and Carol Burnett specials
—TCB, GIT on Broadway, Motown 25 and other Motown specials
—Ain't Misbehavin': 1982 NBC-TV production with Nell Carter and the original Broadway cast
—the old Disney TV specials like Disneyland's #th Anniversary, Mickey's #th Birthday, etc.

One thing we'll probably never see again are the network preview or anniversary specials. Those would probably have enough clearance headaches to cause an aneurysm.

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I'd love to see the live action "Legend of the Superheroes," which aired on two separate nights and featured a lot of DC Comics superheroes and also saw Adam West and Burt Ward reprise their roles as Batman and Robin.

I have an old bootleg copy I picked up at a trading convention, but would love to officially purchase a high quality DVD release.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Let us not forget the great Steve Martin specials:

THE FUNNIER SIDE OF EASTERN CANADA
A WILD AND CRAZY GUY
COMEDY IS NOT PRETTY
ALL COMMERCIALS
STEVE MARTIN'S BEST SPECIAL EVER
THE WINDS OF WHOOPIE (a "best of" quickie with some original material)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Andy Williams and the NBC Kids Search for Santa with Lisa Bonet, Tempestt Bledsoe, Keshia Knight Pulliamand Malcolm-Jamal Warner from the Cosby Show, Soleil Moon Frye, Cherie Johnson, Ami Foster, and Casey Ellison from Punky Brewster, Joey Lawrence from Gimmie a Break with kid brother Matthew Lawrence, I believe before his Gimmie a Break stint, Alfonso Ribeiro from Silver Spoons but best known now for Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Mindy Cohn from Facts of Life and I do believe Topo Gigio appears as well, if not in this one then in the sequel, Easter in Rome, he may have been in both. Easter in Rome features the Lawrence brothers, Kim Fields of Facts of Life, Tina Yothers of Family Ties, Danny Ponce of Valerie also known as The Hogan Family and Pope John Paul II.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

If Andy Williams sings non-PD songs from the respective holidays we can pretty much expect never to see these.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks