What's new

Other "lost" Christmas Specials (1 Viewer)

I need A B.C. Thanksgiving and A B.C. Christmas (from the comic strip.) I also need The Little Rascals' Christmas Special (animated) and Cabbage Patch Kids' Christmas (from 1984.)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
eric scott richard said:
Another favorite animated special is "A Very Merry Cricket" by Chuck Jones. It is a sequel to "A Cricket in Times Square." Awesome special from the early 1970s. I remember them replaying this a lot on Christmas afternoon in the early 1980s. The title is horrible, but the animation is beautiful..often abstract. Really captures New York City in varying ways. I HIGHLY suggest it.
This is on DVD
as for Christmas Specials, I really want the Andy Wiliams NBC Christmas specials with the NBC ids of the 80s.

Yeah, I just wanted to bring it up because it needs more exposure. But, The Little Rascals is a wonderful show that should be released on dvd. I'm not sure who owns the rights to the special.

Kirk76

Grip
Real Name
Kirk
John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together - 1979
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Denver_and_the_Muppets:_A_Christmas_Together
I'd love to have this on DVD.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Brian Himes said:
I remember The Night The Animals Talked. I saw it when in aired in the early 70s but I have not seen it since. Until you mentioned it, I had totally forgotten about it.
The version of A Christmas Carol that I would like to have on DVD aired as part of the CBS Famous Classic Tales series in the early 70s. It is animated and it is a bit scary and not for young children.
In fact, I'd love to have both animated early 70s adaptations of A Christmas Carol.
I believe the CBS Christmas Carol can be found on Tgg Direct's Christmas Cartoon Collection Vol. 2. (http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Cartoon-Collection-Volume-2/dp/B000A9QLAE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3S3CGSUS0K5S1&coliid=I2NOXW2AFKTSJR). Last one!

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
eric scott richard said:
I need A B.C. Thanksgiving and A B.C. Christmas (from the comic strip.) I also need The Little Rascals' Christmas Special (animated) and Cabbage Patch Kids' Christmas (from 1984.)
B.C. Christmas is on VHS - here's the Amazon listing: http://www.amazon.com/B-C-A-Special-Christmas-VHS/dp/B00008EY6D
The Thanksgiving show is also on VHS, but a bit pricey: http://www.amazon.com/B-C-First-Thanksgiving-VHS/dp/B00008EY6E
AFAIK they are not available on DVD.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, what would it take to get studios to look at their Christmas "specials" and episodes, the way we want them to look at our favorite but not yet out-on DVD tv episodes and specials? I"m convinced there is a market. Just look at all the Christmas stuff Hallmark and other companies put out for the season.
Any ideas?
James

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Not exactly "lost" stuff but I had Rudolph, The Grinch (the good one) and Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer playing while I was wrapping and writing out cards on Saturday night. There's a fair amount still on the Tivo.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by JamesSmith /t/325051/other-lost-christmas-specials#post_4012270
Anybody feeling Christmasy yet?
Or is too soon?
James

I had some time on my hands last night, and I watched the Christmas episode of The Jack Benny Program (where he goes hunting for gifts at a department store). Very funny and a classic.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
TCM is airing Carol for Another Christmas at 8 p.m. ET on Dec. 16. It's a TV movie, which TCM usually avoids, but I'm glad they're showing it.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Re: Richard Williams' A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1971), VCI revealed that they were communicating with someone claiming its rights this year, but not much happened. They're hoping it could be a release for next year, but the reply was rather non-commital and didn't sound overly definite, just as a disclaimer.. Fingers crossed...
PS - There's a recent post on YouTube of a HD, 16mm-sourced video of it. Being YT, I'm not 100% sure about that, but it does look a bit different than past versions I've seen - grain is noticeable, detail better, color correction is needed. Clean-up too.
EDIT: Here it is:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Bgart:
Thanks for letting me/us know. I just have a hard time believing that a version of A Christmas Carol can be so good, and yet isn't more accessible or knowledgeble to the masses.
James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guess, it's time to reintroduce this thread. From what I've seen and heard so far, the output of classic specials has dwindled terribly. Was hoping that someone would release another "lost" Christmas special like "The Tiny Tree," Richard Williams's A Christmas Carol on Blue Ray with extras (it's far superior than the Jim Carrey production), Art Carney's The Great Santa Switch, and others that I may not be aware of.

IMHO, the seasonal specials from days past had more heart, though perhaps less glitz than what's coming out today.

I do confess that last year was the first time I sat down and watched the Nutcracker from beginning to end straight, rather than just in pieces. This year, I'll pick up a new version. It's starting to grow on me.

James

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
What defines lost? I haven’t seen The House Without A Christmas Tree on TV in years, but I’m guessing it’s on DVD.

Even as a kid, I thought it was weird that it was shot on videotape.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks