What's new

Other expensive hobbies???? (1 Viewer)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
All my hobbies are expensive. But then again I'm a bit obsessive once I get started.:)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Lives a meager life away from his theater...but, inside...I AM A KING!

I have curtailed alot of my hobbies as of late. No more art or antiques....just HT, HT, HT.

Bruce

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
My other expensive hobbies.

Paintball

Aquariums/Ponds

Bonsai

Cooking

-ikiru

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
Photography is something you'll never quit spending money on if you're into it. There are always newer bodies, lenses, flashes, gadgets you just *have* to have. And if you've got your own darkroom, add to that paper, chemicals, enlarger, washers, dryers, etc.. Ugh. I've probably spent $2k+ in the last 4 months alone. And my gear is strictly middle of the road. Once you get into medium format, a "starter" camera body will push $2k and the lenses will be $1k+ each ! Oooooouch.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Guns/Shooting
Wood working
My other two, yet fairly expensive hobbies.
Peace Out~:D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
American Flyer Standard Gauge Trains

Engines alone run $250 -700..sets in the thousands

Makes strippers and booze seem inexpensive

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Other than audio, home theater and computers, I can think of several things that I like.

Gun and knife collecting. Fire arms and ammo are never cheap. Fortunately I inherited my guns from my Dad. Knives are also very nice but actually collecting them gets expensive. Some of the really exotic looking ones can easily cost hundreds of dollars. Ad the cost of buying new oils and stones for sharpening, it starts to add up. And every single time you go by a knife case, there will be something there you just can't do without.

Woodworking is nice, but as someone else here mentioned, there's always a new tool to want. And for me, getting good quality lumber is often hard. You can forget Lowes and Home Depot; their "best" quality lumber isn't. Locally owned lumber yards even have crap sometimes.

If I bought every gun, knife and power tool that I want, buying audio, home theater and computer stuff would be out of the question. Being able to buy the later is more important to me.

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
I too would have to say my muscle car. I am in the process of building a new small block olds and TH350 tranny for my '65 cutlass and by the time I am done installing those two items (assembling them myself paying only for parts and machine work) I will have about $7000 invested in them. What the hell is wrong with me - Oh Yeah, I want to go 12's with it.

Jin E

Second Unit
Any Cohiba's in there??
Not a Cohiba fan... many more cigars much cheaper that taste better (not saying that they are bad, cause authentic cuban Cohibas are durned good!). I'll take two cuban Bolivars for the price of the COhiba...

Dave Reichert

Stunt Coordinator
My biggest hobby is four wheelin. My Grand Cherokee has a couple grand in mods into it, not to mention the price tag of the vehicle! Unfortunately now its worth less than half what I paid for it less than 2 years ago. It's a lot cooler now though, little taller, bigger tires, its faster, but the trail damage kinda drops the price a bit.

Yes, I did say GRAND cherokee, I'm actually crazy enough to go wheelin in a luxury SUV. To quote a guy I met with a badass CJ, "you must have more money than brains!"

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Sailboat racing... My friend had a 30k boat, put 10k into electronics and 3k/year into Kevlar sails.

Plus the maintenance/storage costs of the boat. It's a miracle he's still married. (but his wife did make him buy the "cute" Bose acoustimass....)

I have a sailboat but do not competitively race, just the Friday night Beer Can series, no big bucks here. Plus I'd rather win a case of brewskie than a cheapo silver bowl with my name engraved, keeps the crew happier. With cost of boat/storage, etc - ~500.00/month (as my wiff keeps reminding me). Oh yeah, then there's the beer and food budget for the crew.

Now America's Cup racing is another story. Minimum $ 50 Million to campaign competitively. Good thing it's a corporate tax write off.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Just about all the hobbies that I enjoy (except chess) cost a fortune. Astronomy, Computers, Guitar and Home Theater. I spend a lot on each every year. My wife rarely complains and is beyond cool about it. I'm a pretty lucky guy.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Butt kicking cigars, (although I don't have quite as many as Jin) and I'll take a quality Honduran over the drivel the Cubans have been rushing into production over the last 5 years! Nice Idea on the cooler/humidor. I have a 75 cigar Diamond Crown Humidor and I have two converted ammunition cases lined with spanish cedar. They all serve me pretty well.

Good spirits. Islay Scotches are my favorites most specifically Laphroig 10 year old. Still trying to find the elusive 15 year old. I actually own one square foot of their distillery! Cool little gimmick! I also like good Bourbon (Knob Creek, 100 proof being one of my primary potent potables), and I'll never pass up a good Sambuca after Dinner. Opal Nera flavored with elderberries is ambrosia!

My wife jokes with me about my vices, but to shamelessly quote Sheryl Crow, "If it makes you happy it can't be that bad."

Ralph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks