What's new

OTA TV in Winchester, VA (antenna) (1 Viewer)

Bryan J

Auditioning
Recently moved to Northern Virginia (Winchester) and hoping to snag DC signals and not pay monthly to get broadcast channels. Anyone have experience in the geographical area? Based on Antennaweb, the nearest CBS and FOX towers are in DC.

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cool, you did your due diligence with antennaweb. What antenna information did you get(color code/size)?From where you are, is a rotor necessary?

Bryan J

Auditioning
Well after 2 months having no tv my wife is wondering if I'll try again :).

I picked up Antennacraft 33 and a rotor. No signal amplifier yet. It's in the highest part of our attic since I can't put it outside in our neighborhood.

Via fcc/antennaweb/tvfool we have signals coming from due north, south and distant from the east (dc). Currently I can pick up the pbs stations and nbc, but that's it.

Tentative plan:
1) Get an amplifier
2) Keep testing different directions and then location for antenna.

schan1269 said:
What antenna information did you get(color code/size)?

From where you are, is a rotor necessary?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can absolutely put up an outdoor antenna. Print out the FCC OTARD information and keep it handy for your HOA board to review when you get complaints.Antenna web is a great starting point but sometimes you need help from people who have gone through the trial and error already. AVS has a local HDTV section with threads on each DMA. You will be able to find people in your area who already get OTA signals so that you can copy their setup.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Robert_J said:
You can absolutely put up an outdoor antenna. Print out the FCC OTARD information and keep it handy for your HOA board to review when you get complaints.Antenna web is a great starting point but sometimes you need help from people who have gone through the trial and error already. AVS has a local HDTV section with threads on each DMA. You will be able to find people in your area who already get OTA signals so that you can copy their setup.
I've helped people where I am as well. Luckily I live in a flat part of the country. I'm (straight air miles) 60 miles from 80% of the Chicago towers and 120 miles from Indianapolis. On really clear days I've picked up Grand Rapids, Fort Wayne and Urbana-Champaign. I doubt I'll ever get Milwaukee or Quad Cities(Chicago interference).Because of the pain involved resetting Indianapolis, I'm tempted to put up a 2nd antenna. The one I have can oversaturate some Chicago stations.But local help is always preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks