What's new

OSD problems -- please help (1 Viewer)

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Folks, I have a Pioneer 1015 receiver and am trying get OSD through to a new panny 900u projector. I tried to hook up the DVD "component out" to the receiver "component in", and then component from the receiver "Monitor out" to the projector but I don't get any picture. (The Pioneer only has one component out) Is there something I need to assign to get a picture this way?

I tried to read the manual but am not able to decipher it and hoped it was something simple that one of you woould know off the top of your head. What is the proper way to hook this thing(s) up to get OSD.

I'm watching movies by hooking just the dvd component out directly to the projector and the audio to the receiver and it works for movies but as you probably know, I don't get any OSD that way either.

any help?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, S-video should pass OSD. However, a cheaper alternative might be to just use a composite video feed. I assume the only reason you need the OSD is for initial set up, right? You could run composite to another input on the projector, and switch over to it when you need to see the OSD. The rest of the time, when you’re actually watching program content, you’d be using the component input. If your receiver is like most, it generates video signals from all of its monitor outputs simultaneously, so there won’t be a problem on that end.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brent_S

Second Unit
From what I've read, it's more the norm for receivers/pre-pros not to pass OSD over component. Don't know why. It stands out when a reviewer or marketing make a point to say the product will pass OSD via component.

Another gotcha to keep in mind even with composite or S-vid. At least some OSD generators need a video signal to "ride on". My Sherwood pre-pro, for instance, kind of randomly flashes the OSD against a blue screen unless the active video input is generating a video signal of some sort.

wbs

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions. I was beginning to think I was totally clueless. well, not totally, but....

anyway, I'll give it a shot tomorrow and try to get this system EQ'd

my best to you,

ray t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks