What's new

Oscar season begins (2 Viewers)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think ROTK's tech noms will depened on the response to the film. If ROTK delivers, people will WANT to reward it, even if it is a continuation. After all, FOTR losing in 2001 in some categories is a total farce if you account for the work in TTT and ROTK (LOTR would clearly be the winner, but in 2001, they ONLY evaluated FOTR)...which they are using as a reason to not nominate newer installments.

No biggie,
Chuck

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Now, Matthew, the only reason I made the George Lucas reference is because he said at the time the LOTR trilogy started shooting that ILM was the ONLY outfit that was capable of handling the digital effects. And people at ILM said the Hulk as a CGI creation would be technically far beyond Gollum.

When they make self-aggrandizing statements like that, of course it's refreshing to see them with egg on their faces. I don't have it in for George Lucas at all -- it's just a natural reaction to something that he and one of his employees said.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yup, just about right on schedule for someone to bash Lucas when referring to LOTR. Phew! Glad we got it all out of our syste--
-me too and am also glad to see his apologists popping up as usual!:D

OTOH if the shoe fits.....

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Lucas has nothing to do with the noms, so the bickering is pretty foolish.

I'd agree with a post above, there have been several moments where I thought films were robbed because of their medium - I believed that Toy Story 2 deserved a "best picture" nod, but it was not to be.. primarily because of it's medium.

And, in reference to documentaries, one of the greatest academy tragedies of the last ten years was the shutout of "Hoop Dreams" a film which has even more meaning today then it did then, and really set itself apart as fantastic film making.

Never more did I enjoy Dave Lettermen then when he cut up the academy "I believe some boys with basketballs are waiting in the parking lot.." :)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Don't forget about City of God. Editing, Cinematography, maybe screenplay.

And there's also that new Jane Campion movie, more Ridley Scott, and new stuff by Robert Altman, Zhang Yimou, Quentin Tarantino, and that english language thing by the guy who did Amores Perros. Here's a link to one BIG post on many of the movies- http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=oscar

As far as BP, I'm guessing LOTR (duh), Cold Mountain (also duh), Master and Commander (acting duh, maybe not picture), Last Samurai (kind of duh, not sure yet), and maybe the Missing. That Opie dropped out of the Alamo to direct the Missing sort of implies that the Missing is better.

Regards,
Nathan

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
My apologies to all for my previous post. This is your hobbie and I didn't respect that. I wouldn't have wanted someone doing the same to me. Forgive and forget? Thanks.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

The fact that it was sequel played against it as well. Historically one sequel, "The Godfather Part II," has won Best Picture (and beyond that only two other sequels were nominated that I can recall) and that's a very isolated case.

Historically, the academy feels sequels are beneath them, which is also why I'm not handicapping ROTK too well. With the recent exclusionary rule of sequel scores from the music category I just can't see ROTK winning a best picture nod. It'll be nominated, like its predecessor and "Godfather Part III" simply because of its lineage, but a win will be an incredible uphill battle.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
-me too and am also glad to see his apologists popping up as usual!
Wait... because I point out the inevitable Lucas bashing that occurs anytime someone discusses LOTR, I'm a Lucas Apologist?

Really?

Shoot. :frowning:

Anyone know can I get some Jar-Jar underoos? Size 38 waist?

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Well, I for one expect OPEN RANGE to get a cinematography nod. Stunning, stunning visuals, and really creative and satisfying framing of many shots.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Is Cold Mountain a lock? I've heard conflicting reports about this one. 'Course it could all be media spin.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I also remember reading Lucas's comment about how ILM was the only FX house that could do LOTR justice. Seeing how it was made long before the first film came out it's probably impossible to find it now.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I would expect RoTK will win on a number of bases: (i) it is the final film in the 3 part epic and a win will be seen as a win for the whole trilogy; (ii) it will, as with LoTR and TTT, make a bucket load of money, which is becomming a requirement for any film to win the Oscar; (iii) I doubt a film of this scale will be replicated anytime soon; (iv) Jackson deserves it. I can't see this losing, regardless of how good it is in comparison to the other nominees. Poor or average films have won Best Picture Oscars with less behind them.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
LOTR:ROTK has two chances of winning Best Picture: slim and none.

The concept of LOTR is "old hat" to Academy Voters: it is no longer new, no longer fresh, and no longer groundbreaking -- no matter how good Return of the King turns out to be (and I expect it to be excellent!) Plus, the film was made outside of "traditional" Hollywood, which is as much an "Old Boys' Club" as any other industry.

They won't reward it as a way of acknowledging "all three films." If lightning didn't strike the first time, it will not strike again. Take that to the bank.

Rest assured that the LOTR trilogy will live forever a monumental achievement in filmmaking and a beloved series of film that electrified audiences worldwide, made a mint at the box office, and garnered massive critical acclaim.

But Oscar gold? No chance.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
RotK is the best book of the trilogy in just about every way. Of the 3 films, it probably has the best chance of winning. Seeing as how Jackson has yet to really screw up, combined with the amazing source material, I'm sure RotK will have much more Oscar buzz than the first two combined.

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew wrote:
Rest assured that the LOTR trilogy will live forever a monumental achievement in filmmaking and a beloved series of film that electrified audiences worldwide, made a mint at the box office, and garnered massive critical acclaim.
At least we agree on something. ;)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am curious to see the inevitable ROTK (LOTR?) backlash some months from now. FOTR and TTT were relatively backlash free... it seems too good to be true.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks