What's new

Original Star wars on DVD (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
In neither scenario do I see any justification for calling Mr. Lucas names
Quite the contrary, if he lies, he deserves the name "liar" (ie one who lies). If he fucks with people's minds by making them spend hundreds of dollars they otherwise wouldn't have just so they can have "peace", they are justified in thinking ill of him.

greg_t

Screenwriter
If he fucks with people's minds by making them spend hundreds of dollars
Lucas isn't making anyone buy anything. I bought a LD player to see the OT trilogy in. Lucas didn't "make" me buy anything, it was my choice. And so far, in eight years, he hasn't released the original trilogy again, so I haven't seen justification yet for calling him a liar.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
If he fucks with people's minds by making them spend hundreds of dollars they otherwise wouldn't have just so they can have "peace", they are justified in thinking ill of him.
"Making them"???? No one "made" anyone buy anything.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
If I shelled out hundreds of dollars for a laserdisc player and OT laserdiscs for the sole purpose of not having to watch them on VHS, based on taking Lucas at his word, and he then ignored what came out of his own mouth and put them out on DVD, I'd have every right to think of him as a bastard.
I paid about $200 each for my LD players, a sum lower than what I paid for either of my mothballed Toshiba DVD players (which cost $500 and $600, respectively, and might bring a total of $125 on eBay now).

Unlike the two obsolete DVD players, the laserdisc players enable me to see a variety of rare titles at my leisure, including the Star Wars OT, The Loved One, and The Nude Bomb.

In the home theater hobby, our equipment is constantly being rendered obsolete.

My .02 on the issue.

RD

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
If nothing else, I blame Lucas for the endless debate he has caused among his fans. I think we all know that this issue will never be resolved unless he caves in and releases everything(originals, SE and new updated SE versions) on DVD in the next few years. I'm sure that won't even satisfy some of the people that have posted about him sticking to his word and declaring that "the last time" should mean "the last time", but I think that only applies to a very small group of people. All of this debate has really made me realize how much it sucks not having Star Wars on DVD and I really hope King George has a surprise in store for the fans and releases the OT on DVD sometime in 2004. I'm not getting my hopes up, but maybe it will happen if enough people put pressure on him to do it.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
With a few exceptions, I think we all believe in personal responsibility, and if we buy LD players to watch the holy trilogy...that is our own decision. I know I'm not mad for buying a player...since I did, I've picked up another player and about 70 discs.

I'm not for name-calling, either...but if someone wants to call GL a name, whoopty-do. I don't think name-calling is an illegal act :)

Luis A

Second Unit
Another reason why GL should stick to his guns. Personally I do not think the originals will ever be on DVD (legally) and that's perfectly fine with me.:laugh:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
It would clearly make him someone not to be trusted on this stuff. If you prefer the term "untrustworthy" to "liar", so be it.
"Not to be trusted"? Again, why?

If fan outcry over the discontinuation of the untouched OT makes him reconsider, wouldn't that make him a decent guy who cares about his fans?

You're asking for the films to be released, yet if he grants your wish you'll think of him as a decitful, untrustworthy man. He truly can't win.

If I were Lucas, I'd go live on national TV and burn the original negatives, reel by reel, just to spite this type of intransigent, impossible-to-please fan.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Agreed with everything above. I personally like most of the changes, EXCEPT Greedo shooting first, which I believe there's only 1 person on Earth who liked that part

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
if he grants your wish you'll think of him as a decitful, untrustworthy man. He truly can't win
You misread what I said. I said SOME people (not necessarily me) would be justified in saying "damn Lucas, you can't believe what he says". Personally, I'd be happy if he releases the OT on DVD and wouldn't be cursing him for it. Your mistake was in assuming that the two sets of fans are the same person. That would make the "spite" irrational (it's irrational anyway, but that would simply be more so).

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Ricardo,

You're exactly right. Releasing the OT on DVD after all would show that he's a good guy who cares about his fans and I don't think many people would criticize him for changing his mind. The ones who would can't be satisfied anyway so let them bitch and moan about it if they choose. They can still watch their LD copies if they don't want to see these films on DVD.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Robert, sorry I assumed that was your position as well. However...

Your mistake was in assuming that the two sets of fans are the same person. That would make the "spite" irrational (it's irrational anyway, but that would simply be more so).
No more irrational than throngs of fanatics almost having a stroke no matter what decision Lucas makes in the end ;)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
are they so defeatist that they already assume all the letter-writing and petition-signing will be useless
Since they bought LD players and discs, they obviously came to that conclusion. :) Do you really think a "damn you, Lucas" reaction would be unreasonable coming from someone who buys a LD player 6 months before Lucas announces "never mind what I said before, the OT is coming out after all"?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

That would be their fault for trying to predict his actions. He reserves the right to release the films on DVD whenever he chooses to do so.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Do you really think a "damn you, Lucas" reaction would be unreasonable coming from someone who buys a LD player 6 months before Lucas announces "never mind what I said before, the OT is coming out after all"?
Seeing as good-quality laserdisc players can be had for under $100 via eBay, not really. :)

Ironically, the $600 progressive-scan SD5109 I was sold and which was mothballed a year after I bought it because it had no aspect ratio control, brings even less (about $65). You'd think *that* would be worth getting mad about...

RD

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that would be bad, Robert!

If he did change his mind and come out with the OT, I wouldn't be calling him a liar, and I doubt that few, if any others, would.

I'd just say that he changed his mind, and women do this all the time! Get a life, people! :)

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks