What's new

Original Star wars on DVD (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
To David, and others. Sure, we are blowing off steam, but why we are constantly arguing about this because we are trying to figure out:

1. Why he said what he did in the first place (Last time - not a financially sound idea).
2. Why he didn't change his mind when DVD did come out (There were rumors flying that they'd come out, along with IJ, when player sales hit so many million).
3. Why he dislikes the OT so much.
4. How he can say that the SE 'was my original intention'.

There are others, but you get the idea. As I have suggested before, this would make an excellent 'sticky' until they do (ha, ha) come out.

Glenn

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
4. How he can say that the SE 'was my original intention'.
Very True! Sure, maybe some things the CGI wasn't where he wanted it, to do the things he had in mind. But c'mon. Greedo shooting first. If that was his f'n original intention, then that's how it shoulda showed back in '77. That ... is why his argument is so f'n lame!

Luis A

Second Unit
Can't remember where I read it, but he explained Greedo shooting first. Something about not making Han look so ruthless. He never said THAT was part of his "original" vision, just a change he wanted to make. :)

Carlo, work on the OT films (one last time) for LD & VHS I'm sure began a couple years before your CC pal had given you the info. I have worked in High End A/V retail for over 10 years, and remember discusing what would eventually become DVD back in '94. I remember how pissed off everyone was that they would have to buy their collections all over again, and most of them said they would never buy into a new format. Do you really expect GL to wait 2 more years for a format that may not have lasted? Again, he, you, I, studios could not forsee the success of DVD. Why do you think so many studios jumped in so late in the game?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
not the "greedo shoots first" argument PLEASE!!!!!
And why not? His excuse for making it happen in the SE is because, as I recall, he "tried it" several different ways but couldn't get it to work when it was originally filmed.

Excuse me?

He completely revolutionized the use of special effects in movies with scenes that still can easily compete with modern CGI, yet he now claims that he just couldn't get the shot right in the Cantina for Greedo to shoot first?

Oh ... my ... God ...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
His excuse for making it happen in the SE is because, as I recall, he "tried it" several different ways but couldn't get it to work when it was originally filmed.
We know that excuse is a crock from the fact that Han shoots first in the original script written by Lucas.

"What I originally wrote is not what I originally wanted".

Yeah, right.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I personally like most of the changes, EXCEPT Greedo shooting first, which I believe there's only 1 person on Earth who liked that part
This exactly how I feel too. I can live with the Jabba scene in ANH, I can live with the new musical number in ROTJ even though I liked the old song better. The space battle in ANH is way better in the SE, Cloud City is great, the end to ROTJ has great music now IMO. There are some subtle dialogue changes in ESB, like Vader walking out of Bespin after the duel, but again, no biggie. But that Greedo scene....man. I just watched the SE's again this weekend and that scene just kills it-it pulls me right out of the movie. If he only releases one version on DVD, and it is the "Archival Edition", but with the Greedo scene reverted to its original state, that's all I'd want. And for the record-I'd absolutely love the original version on DVD.

svenge

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Svenge Guttensen
Fix the Luke screaming in ESB, and the crappy scenes w/ Jabba and Greedo in ANH, and then I'd consider buying the "archival editions".

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

I agree with you totally. I can live with a lot of the changes made in the SE versions(although I'm not a big fan of the musical number in ROTJ), but Greedo shooting first is absolutely ridiculous! Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way he will ever restore that scene to it's original form when the films are released on DVD because his new "warm and fuzzy" mindset views Han shooting first as cold-blooded and ruthless. Personally, I don't see what's wrong with killing a bounty hunter to save your own ass, but that's just me.

On another note, this whole discussion has been about releasing Star Wars on DVD, but what about an eventual HD-DVD release? I know HD-DVD is still a while away, but does anyone think he will ever release the movies on this fomat(especially since it's taking so long just to get them on regular DVD)? It's probably stupid to even bring the issue up at this point, but I was just thinking about how cool it would be to see the Original Trilogy(theatrical or SE versions) in 1080i. However, I can only hope he doesn't do it on D-VHS because that would just mean another release of Star Wars on a (soon-to-be)obsolete format.

greg_t

Screenwriter
My most loathed special edition scenes both have to do with Jabba. The first is the muscial number in the palace. Jabba's palace is supposed to be a place where scum and villany come to gather, and the musical number is just big joke. It doesn't fit with what jabbas palace is supposed to be at all. And the added Jabba scene in A New Hope just too me totally goes against the charecter of Jabba. Jabba is supposed to be a feared crime lord, and Han is stepping on him, pointing is finger in his face, etc. I also love when Han calls him "a wonderful human being" at the end of the scene. I remember being young and first seeing these movies and hearing about Jabba the Hut and the suspense that built up until you finally saw him in Return of the Jedi. The added Jabba scene ruins that.

Brent, I wish we could experience the OT in HD!! Maybe some day...

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I forgot about that lame scream-they basically just did a cut and paste of the Emperor's scream-that's gotta go too.

Who knows if it will ever hit HD-DVD-I could see the bootleg issue being used as a reason not to do it.

Another thing about Greedo scene-Han used to say "yeah, I bet you have", but now you only hear "bet you have". It looks and sounds horrible. How could he think this is better?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps because Lucas has lost his touch? God, now I'm really worried about Indy 4!!

I really think American Graffiti (his best non-Spielberg assisted film), the original A New Hope, the original Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Temple of Doom were the pinnacle of Lucas' talent. It was when he had people around him who could restrain him and keep him on task with his vision.

Then Return of the Jedi was released and the new Lucas was starting to come of his shell [shudder]. It was right before that time when his long time producing collaborators left over creative differences.

Dan

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I agree with his best work being A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders and to a certain degree Jedi, but I thought Temple of Doom was horrible. I liked Last Crusade much better than Temple of Doom even though neither were anywhere near Raiders. I just hope Lucas sends Star Wars out with a bang in Episode III and that it's as dark as he's promised it would be. I think that just seeing Vader back on screen will automatically make it better than Episode I or II.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I hate talking about the SE because it keeps reminding me of things I hate, like the Luke scream and the new Jabba song and the... argh!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I actually haven't watched the SEs for 3 or 4 years, but I have the LD set coming in the mail...and I'm anxious to see how much the changes bother me. Obviously Greedo shooting first drives me up the wall...but I'm sort of excited to hunt for the changes, after 3/4 years of the OT.

Porfirio

Second Unit
In my opinion, Lucas hasn't lost his touch. He's lost his mind! My problems with the SE's are as follows:

SW:
1. Just like everyone else, Greedo shoots first
2. Jabba's appearance (Jabba needs to be replaced with a more accurate version)
3. The "unmasked" .357 (?) sound effects

ESB:
1. Luke's wussy scream (it totally ruined the scene)

ROTJ:
1. The Jabba's Palace musical number
2. The "galaxy's" celebration (it needs to be 86'd)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I actually don't mind the celebration montage at the end of Jedi. I even like the new music Williams composed for the scene.

...don't know if it can beat the Ewok Song though...:D

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Then Return of the Jedi was released and the new Lucas was starting to come of his shell [shudder].
Just curious as to why Lucas gets all of the blame for ROTJ's "shortcomings" and he gets none of the praise for ESB's greatness? He directed neither film, yet he gets all of the blame and none of the praise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks