What's new

Orei BDP M2 (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Went ahead and bought one from Bombay(the store) via Amazon. I'll leave some feedback about it once I've played the couple of UK/French BD I have purchased.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...

For those with region free BD...give me some pointers of "theirs is better than ours, buy this one"...

Already bought Mandy Lane and 9 Songs. Making sure this player works before I buy more. Bought 9 songs from Am.UK...to get my feet wet...

My typical foreign buys are Germany and Brazil for Hi-Res.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First impressions...

Yeah, it has a cheap remote. Planning on putting it into my programmable Onkyo remote anyway.

Plays just fine. No noticeable differences in playback compared to a Sony S350. Same with sound.

So it works. Still haven't received my UK BDs(played Mandy Lane just fine, including the extras), but setting A/B/C is straightforward.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
News on the Orei front...

This one died. I bought it open box and it was probably returned to Bombay without Bombay being told there was something wrong with it. It played fine for about a week, then started going into a "brick upon standby" when turned off. The word "off" would appear in the screen, but the open/close button and play/pause would remain "lit" and it would cease responding. Unplugging fixed it, but the chroma and jaggy got worse and worse. It is like it was experiencing a slow death.

Anyway, a new one is in the mail...we'll see if there is an improvement.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Thanks for being our "beta tester" on this one. I've been looking for an inexpensive way to play BD titles not available in US versions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I sent Bombay the same screen shots I sent David(I think his name, anyway, the guy in the "Possession UK BD" thread that did Possession) and they agreed that "yes, that BD player is screwed"...

I don't fault them at all.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Bombay is sending another one. Either I misread, or they were ambiguous...but I thought I was going to have to pay the difference from "open box" to "new".

No I don't. Should have the replacement this week.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Still waiting on my replacement. I asked for it to be shipped USPS as it is easier for me to pick it up at the PO if UPS(the original was shipped UPS, had to jump hoops to actually get it) won't leave it. They shipped it FedEx SmartPost...which is fine. My issue with FedEx SP is it takes forever for it to emerge out of the system into my local post office.

I got what I asked for, delivery wise, but in a method that sucks. Who knows when I'll get it...but it was shipped Wednesday.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Got the replacement today, will try Possession again later tonight. The disc that caused all the consternation of the original one.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just learned about this player. How are things six months later?

So far I haven't found a "killer app" to get a region free BD player. With DVD I would often get titles from Hong Kong and China, but since BD Region A includes those territories it hasn't really been needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks