What's new

Optoma HD70 and Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player (1 Viewer)

HongHuynh

Agent
I have an Optoma HD70 projector (native 720p) and I am currently feeding it a 720p signal from my Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player. Is this the optimal choice or should I send the projector a 1080i signal and have it perform the scaling? Does anyone know if the scaler in the Optoma is better than the one in the Toshiba?

Thanks.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
At that price point I'd say the Toshiba would have a better scaler.

Brent

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I have the exact same setup, and have the Toshiba outputting 720p and have the Optoma set to 'Native' format, which essentially turns off the optomas scaler, and displays pixel for pixel what is being fed to it.

My rationale for this was that the image only going through one scaler was better than it going through two. If you are upconverting a SD DVD and have the player set to 1080i, then it is getting first converted from 480i to 1080i, then from 1080i to 720p. If the player is set to 720p then it is only being converted once from 480i to 720p.

All that being said, I couldn't really tell a difference with the player set to either 720p or 1080i. Both produce a fantastic picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks