What's new

Options for correcting boomy bass in new truck (1 Viewer)

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if this is too off topic for this forum, but had to take it somewhere where I stood a good chance of getting valuable advice.

So here's the problem. I Just got a new 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with the base factory sound system (AM/FM/Cassette) with four in-door speakers. Love the truck, but the bloated, boomy bass is the worst I've ever heard in a factory installed setup. The head unit has a three band EQ (bass/mid/hi) and even with the bass turned all the way down it's still sounds bad. It's better when listening to FM where the audio is compressed anyway, but CDs are unlistenable. I've owned other vehicles in the past that came with base factory stereos and none ever had this problem...a total lack of bass, yes, but never this kind of bad sounding bass.

What options do I have here. Is this a problem with the cheap 5-6" speakers. Is it the fault of the factory head unit? Or is it an issue with the truck cab's accoustics? If it's an acoustics issue then I may just have to learn to live with the problem since I'm not looking to cut a bunch of new holes inside the cab...at least not at this point in time.

I'm not looking for sound quality to match my HT. I just want to be able to listen to a CD without getting a headache.

Thanks.

Bill

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
Why don't you do a little investigating and see what some new speakers would cost. IF they are 5 1/4 or 6 inch then you can get some replacements fairly cheap. If you aren't comfortable installing them take it to a shop. Standard installs are very simple and a regular shop such as best buy or circuit city, can install them for you fairly cheap.

They no doubt used paper woofs w/ whizzer cones. Most factory setups do that. Except those Bose ones, but then those speakers often have seperate amps and run at goofy impedence levels and are really difficult to change. But that is another issue.

It shouldn't cost over $200 for the speakers and you might even stumble into a free install.

Jon

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
You can add an amp and different speakers to a bose system so you can keep the HU with not too much stress, but you can not use the bose amp for different speakers or the other way around because of the funny ohms they use. Also you can look at www.crutchfield.com and see what will fit in your truck with little cutting. Then you can go with what they sell or if you are looking for something a little better than that you can check out CDT or Focal...both good brands with different sounds. i would suggest a silk tweeter unless you like bright highs.

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. One thing, though, is that the truck doesn't come with a Bose system. Dodge's top-of-the-line stereo uses Infinity speakers.

My main concern is that I replace the head unit and/or speakers and find out that the boominess is caused by cab acoustics.

Bill

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
You can tame the boomey bass with the type of subs and boxes that you decide to get (go sealed for the tightest sound)...the difference in the sound from stock to a good aftermarket one will blow you away...you can get it sounds great in there with a little money :D

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mark. I'll look into getting an new setup in there. I'm not planing on getting a sub as I don't want to lose the storage space the box would take up (it's rough having two small kids taking up the rear seat space ;) ).

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
I hear you...just get some that have some good mid bass. Also if you dont mind a little modifacation you can get some killer 3 way sets that will sound great. Some have a 6.5 mid bass driver with a 4" mid and a tweeter...so you can also try some enclosures that fit buy your feet out the way and put the 6.5 in there and then the 4" in the door with the tweeter mounted somewhere. Look at www.cdtaudio.com and read what all they have to say about the different lines. I have some of these and they are great!!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks