What's new

Opting Out of the Popular (1 Viewer)

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
The two main reasons I "opt out" of popular things, trends or fads are these:

1. I hate crowds - so that means just buying the CD of an artist I like rather than going to a concert

2. Expense - ever notice how some of these "must have" things cost too much?

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I too don't have a portable mp3 player. I don't see the need to always be listening to music. Sometimes its nice to have silence or just your own thoughts.

My cellphone is a little over 2 years old and doesn't have a camera, polyphonic ringtones, a color screen, or a bunch of games.

The last time I was interested in video games was when I had a Sega Genesis. I played GTA once a few years ago, but I'm not into video games.

The thread is called Opting Out of the Popular :)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
The only reality shows I like are VH1's "Celebreality" programs.

I never understood the appeal of the "Star Wars" movies.

I'm a 22-year-old guy and I love chick flicks.

I still watch "Sesame Street", but that's only because I can't find anything else to watch in the morning.

A lot of the celebrities I find attractive are old enough to be my mother.

I work at Wal-Mart but I'm also a member of the American Film Institute.

Some of the ways in which I differ from others would violate HTF rules if I discussed them on here.

Although my reading skill is on the level of a 4-year college student, all I ever read are non-fiction books about the entertainment industry.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I have a sick feeling that I'll be expanding this list soon.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

That's certainly objectively rationale. But it's an approach that requires admirable vigilance.

A handful of past negative subjective experiences can influence or even determine the vast majority of a person's future choices.

The older you get, the more the latter can be a default modus as your tastes become fixed and your willingness to experiment lessens as time becomes a premium.

If you have had even a few past negative experiences regarding popular phenomena, it's possible then popularity alone may begin to influence your decision-making process about what future "stuff" to opt for or not.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It depends partly on how much of an effort it takes to try whatever the "rage" is. It's trivially easy, for example, to tune in a station playing popular stuff and hear how lousy it is. The same goes for TV shows, food, drink, etc. It's also very easy to "sample" technology at stores, trade shows, etc. If it takes a lot of effort and/or expense to try something, your analysis has validity.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

And that's why you've never understood the appeal of Star Wars John. ;)

Opting out of the popular? I don't watch much tv, except to watch dvds, never seen an episode of Lost, 24, Desperate Housewives, Grace & Will whatever it's called, blissfully ignorant in all things tv...:D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Good observation Steve - chick flicks and liking Star Wars is a difficult mix! :D Although recently I've been dabbling with hybrid chick-flick movies like "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", Harry Potter movies, Revenge of the Sith ("I love YOU. No no no, I LOVE you. ", Dodgeball, Sense and Sensibility, and stuff like that. Oh yeah and mystery plays.

Time premium is a good explanation for why we avoid some things - too much effort to haul your ass to the sushi restaurant, plus the cajoling and harassment of your buddies for not trying sushi can be tiring. Oh and sushi isn't exactly cheap.

I had sushi with a couple of friends - no hassles, no pressure. It was easy-peesy. (But you would have to be sure this friend knows good sushi from bad)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Just curious on this one.
This car has been around since the Mid 60s so it's not new or anything and unless you live in a city where parking is impossible (like san francisco), I don't blame you.
My wife has one and they are pretty nice and built well.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Never seen Desperate Housewives.

Never watched Friends, either.

Not buying a Hybrid until they cost the same as a regular car. Don't see the point in spending $3,000 if I'm not going to save $6,000 on fuel.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that bothers me is when people mention they never watched Blah Blah they mightbe missing something they would love.
I watched part of the soparonos got bored started playing with wires in the closet.
I was living in the UK when Sienfeld started. Tried it and finally asked the wife if she liked it.
By then her snoring told the story
Turned off Friends in under 2 minutes I think.
But I think it's silly to swear off something you don't even know about

Wal mart- Driving around the south Many Years ago and seeing boarded up main streets and without a doubt a Huge WalMart within 5 minutes made me never buy from them.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Oh, here are some more:

I never found "Seinfeld" funny (although I do like "Curb Your Enthusiasm"...Maybe I prefer Larry David's talents).

I think that Nirvana is way overrated. They were just copying Sonic Youth.

I really don't like gangsta rap. The only gangsta rap song I like is "Regulate" by Nate Dogg and Warren G.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Just my views.

EDIT:

Here are some more...

I hate those "What Happens In Vegas...Stays In Vegas" commercials. Actually, I never understood the fascination with Las Vegas anyway.

My favorite years for "Saturday Night Live" are 1980-1985.

I didn't see "Die Hard" until I was 18...I didn't see "Terminator 2" until I was 19.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I hate:
Ipods and Mp3 players (gimmie vinyl or Cds anyday)
Suvs and big trucks (unless for work purposes ie; manual labor)
Never cared for Friends but I love Seinfeld
Gossip mags
Reality TV (Ill take Housewives or 24 anytime)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks