What's new

Optical Digital Audio Out Only Playing SOME sounds? (1 Viewer)

PatrickOwtf

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick S
Hello, I have a new LG HDTV and a new Pioneer receiver. I'm using an Antenna to get channels over the air. I want to play sound from the television through my receiver and out through my speakers. For some reason, I only hear SOME sounds from the TV through my speakers. I can hear NO dialogue, but background music and sound effects play perfectly. I have no idea why this is happening, and I don't really know what to do. I'm new at this and thought I knew what I was doing but apparently not. Any ideas?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
How do you have the TV connected to the receiver? If you are using an HDMI cable with ARC, or an optical connection out from the TV into the receiver, then it should be working. Let us know how you have things connected and what the receiver and TV model numbers are.

PatrickOwtf

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick S
The TV isn't connected to the receiver other than the audio. I have an antenna with the TV and it plays without the receiver. I was hoping I could just run the audio through the receiver and into my big speakers. The TV is an LG 32LK330 http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-32LK330-lcd-tv and the receiver is a Pioneer VSX-821-K http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-821-K

PatrickOwtf

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick S
It's so bizarre. I can hear the laugh track of this sitcom i'm watching, but not the dialogue. I can hear the transitional music between scenes too.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can you adjust the audio output? Sometimes they have settings like PCM (stereo) or bitstream or raw. You want bitrstream or raw for surround sound. Another problem could be the channel. I've had my local audio get all messed up just the way you are describing. How do the other channels sound? What is the Pioneer showing on the display?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
PatrickOwtf said:
I'm going to go ahead and press every button on the receiver.
You need to find this in the TV's menu, not the receiver. If the receiver is on auto mode, it will decode what is sent to it. What about my other questions?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Do you have any other devices connected to the receiver, such as a DVD player or Blu-Ray player? If so, do they sound correct?

Is it possible the speakers are connected incorrectly on the receiver itself? Have you run the auto setup routine on the receiver (it's called MCACC and instructions start on page 20 of your manual) and properly configured the speakers (i.e. are you running 5.1 or 7.1, etc)?

Even if you left things connected the way they are, you should be able to get sound out of all the speakers by adjusting the sound "mode", or implementing ProLogic decoding.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
It's so bizarre. I can hear the laugh track of this sitcom i'm watching, but not the dialogue. I can hear the transitional music between scenes too.
Is your center channel hooked up and working correctly? It sounds like your left and right speakers are working, but not your center channel. Since most of the dialog comes out of the center channel, be sure that it is hooked up correctly. If you do not have a center channel - you need to set your receiver for "phantom center" - which will take what was expected to be going to the center channel (like most of the dialog) and separate that information between the front two speakers. If you change this setting, then you should be hearing the dialog.
I was hoping I could just run the audio through the receiver and into my big speakers.
-- Also check that you have the speakers connected to the correct place - if you hooked up your speakers to the surround channels, then you may be hearing what you describe. You do not mention what exactly are the "big speakers" and how many of them their are? If there are only 2 (as opposed to 3, 5 or 7) - then you need to set the phantom center channel on your receiver.... I looked up your manual: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-821-k_OperatingInstructions020711.pdf On page 35 - there is a center channel selection in one of the setup menus - it has options of small, large or No....if you don't have a center channel, set this to "No" and the dialog will go to the other speakers...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks