What's new

Optical Cable for Htr 5550 (1 Viewer)

midapo

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I am hooking up a Toshiba HD DVD player to this unit. My hdmi cable will go straight to my projector, as there is no hdmi input on my receiver. I have been using a digital coax for my audio, but there is no digital coax output on the dvd player. It has an optical out which i plan to use.

Question: The optical input on the receiver is not a regular size input. I believe it is a mini. On monoprice they have this cable: Toslink to Mini M/M OD:5.0mm. It descibes it as mostly used with laptops. Is this what I need? I have looked all through my receiver users guide and I cannot find what kind of input it is. Thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I did not think Yamaha had mini optical connectors. Esp for the HTR series. They try to be very generic/compatible.

While you can save 5-15 dollars buying from monoprice, get a generic/cheap toslink cable from a local store and see if it works. I suspect it is an ordinary optical input on the receiver.

midapo

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I have tried a regular optical cable in the past and it was too big. that is why I went with the digital coax.

midapo

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael

I just wanted to post again and tell everyone that I am an idiot!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

I have built this system from the ground up, wires runing through the attic, underneath the floor, flush mount floor boxes, projector, screen, speaker placement, etc. People tell me it is the best sound they have ever heard. But I am not smart enough to take the little plastic protector off the end of the optical cable! IDIOT! I hope this saves someone else the embarrassment!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks