Optical audio between tv/ps3/headphones and surround sound help please

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DeclanB, Feb 4, 2010.

1. DeclanB

DeclanB Auditioning

hi i have a plan just going to see the best way about carrying it out

i want optical connections to and from the following for the best audio

PS3 - Headphones + Surround Sound
    TV - Surround sound

would this diagram be the best way to do it sorry but i couldnt really describe what i mean without drawing it

it involves using 2 of these

[​IMG]anyhoooo heres my digram..

[​IMG]
    firstly.. 1. will it work?
    2. will there be any soundloss because of the splitters?
    3. is this the best way?

all help appreciated thanks again!

2. stewball

stewball Auditioning

Another option to look at is an HDMI switch. If your Home Theatre is lacking the additional inputs it will help. I am not sure if you can just pass audio. I have one that I have a PS3, HD-DVD and Cable Box. I installed because I didn't have enough HDMI connectors available in my system. This switch will handle 4 inputs to 1 output. With each input you can have either Coax or Optical. One caution that I learned the hard way. If you use Coax for input you have to use Coax for output and the same for Optical. The one I use is the following:

www.atlona.com/4x1-ATLONA-HDMI-DIGITAL-AUDIO-SWITCH-hdmi-1.3-p-17540.html

I have been very pleased with it. I was also able to program it into the Universal Remote I use. It wasn't in the database but I was able to do it in a learn mode.

It received good reviews and I would recommend to anyone. Only down side I found was mixing digital type audio cables but that was easily resolved.

Just something else to think about.

3. stewball

stewball Auditioning

Another option to look at is an HDMI switch. If your Home Theatre is lacking the additional inputs it will help. I am not sure if you can just pass audio. I have one that I have a PS3, HD-DVD and Cable Box. I installed because I didn't have enough HDMI connectors available in my system. This switch will handle 4 inputs to 1 output. With each input you can have either Coax or Optical. One caution that I learned the hard way. If you use Coax for input you have to use Coax for output and the same for Optical. The one I use is the following:

www.atlona.com/4x1-ATLONA-HDMI-DIGITAL-AUDIO-SWITCH-hdmi-1.3-p-17540.html

I have been very pleased with it. I was also able to program it into the Universal Remote I use. It wasn't in the database but I was able to do it in a learn mode.

It received good reviews and I would recommend to anyone. Only down side I found was mixing digital type audio cables but that was easily resolved.

Just something else to think about.

4. stewball

stewball Auditioning