What's new

Oprah is dirtier than Stern =) (1 Viewer)

James T

Screenwriter
So, is Letterman going to do a word-for-word re-enactment using the Oprah transcript?

It's pretty funny when the Letterman team do Oprah stuff when it's serious, this would be hilarious.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

I don't stand on their side. They should not be able to be the means by which some people allow person A to do something but not person B. That's unjust, and should be no part of what they are supposed to do.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Media B has the same restrictions. Satellite (both TV and radio) and cable are subscription services and not broadcast 'in the clear' so they are not covered by the FCC's decency rules.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Mmm.....I think that maybe some of you look at the system in a overly objective way: surely context does matter?

For instance, in Holland there's a big difference between showing sexual nudity and non-sexual nudity. If Oprah (or her Dutch equivalent) wants to show the effects of a life-saving breast operation, she can - at any time of day. You can also show a birth in all its glory or how to put on a condom on an erected penis....

Similarly, I think there's a difference between saying "fuck" in a "entertaining" manner and saying it in a "explanatory" manner. Of course, this can (and will) lead to some misuse by broadcasters and misinterpretation by the FCC, but hey, no system is perfect.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Kind of like the use of "Fuck" in a PG-13 movie. It's ok as long as they only say it once and it is not used to mean sex. I.e. You can't say "I fucked her", but you can say "What the fuck?!"

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I guess if one were tossing salad then the use of extra virgin olive oil would be inappropriate, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks